Teensyduino 1.26 Beta #3 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a third beta test for Teensyduino 1.26.

Edit: old beta test linkes removed. Full non-beta release is here:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

This version should work on Mac OS-X with Arduino 1.6.6.

A 1/4 second startup delay was added to improve stability on Windows.

Usability: It's a bit inconvenient that the list with the used libraries is printed _after_ compilererrors. have to scroll every time...
can i switch this off ? i know which libs i use... to see the errors with less scrolling would be more usable :)

I think this is Arduino-behavior, nothing to do with teensyduino, but...

I have El Capitan installed plus 1.6.6 and it at least runs, I have not tried programming anything with it yet.

One thing I noticed was like Windows, you can install all or none of the libraries.

Also after I started up Arduino again after installing Teensyduino, the Arduino system came up with a message saying some of my libraries are out of date and so I opened up the libraries manager and it listed several including several of the Adafruit ones. Not sure how many of these (I suspect most) were installed by Teenysduino as I have not really done any developement (yet) using the mac.

Can I install over arduino-1.6.5-r5? Actually the 1.66 breaks too much stuff in my environment.

sumotoy - if I understand your question is about TeensyDuino? - yes - I put 1.26b2 on my 1.6.5 IDE - it is backward compatible.

oh, cool! The 1.66 changed too much, many stuff I use give tons of errors. Also I don't like the massive useless data showed during compiling, I have the feeling that a 1.67 coming soon...

Put the 1.26b3 on my 1.6.5 and running well, win10.

<edit>: Another 3 DOZEN + uploads and no issues doing Touch test and edit - using SerMon.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed was like Windows, you can install all or none of the libraries.

Opps, looks like I broke that recently.

Just fixed it now, and added descriptions for all the libraries. The final 1.26 release will have working library selection.

Can you take the pull request for the XPT2046_Touchscreen.cpp?

I undid my private LIB and yours works fine in place of it - but my version cuts untouched SPI in half from 10 to 5 words and also aborts all the touch math when there is no touch. I did change the touch math to include points as discard able individuals not pairs. Plus Frank said it did make his T3TRIS run better.

based on his comment what fixed Frank was moving the "msraw = now;" so it didn't reset the "too fast" time until after a valid reading was taken.

Last edited:
Any general feel on the utility of IDE 1.6.6? Is it good to go to, or will there be a 1.6.7 soon?

Does 1.6.6 better support external editor?

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ReleaseNotes

This will be nice!
* Each open sketch gets built in its own folder, allowing the IDE to recycle previous compilations and being much faster
* "Go to line": CTRL+L or Edit > Go to line... will open a dialog where you can type the line number where you want the editor to jump to
* Examples of libraries with a .development flag file in their root folder won't get marked as read-only. See #2619
* Windows: IDE startup feels faster

This sounds like a way to compile from 'smart editors'?
* Introducing arduino-builder, a command line tool that properly calls gcc. Fixes lots of issues about buggy preprocessing.

More from PJRC
* Allow per-platform keywords.txt. Thanks @PaulStoffregen

Last edited:
Th "IDE" is still lightyears away from a serious IDE or even a simple Text-Editor. Its more like a joke.
It lacks even "F3" for continous searching

But with external Editor usable...
Is there a way to call the new Buildsystem external ?

Last edited:
On Mac I'm seeing a conflict between:

./hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Time/Time.h
and
./Java/hardware/tools/arm/arm-none-eabi/include/time.h

Where the latter is preferred over the former breaking my project that uses the AVR time lib...

Haven't dug deeply, but thought you'd like to know now. Will update as I figure out more

**Update**

I was able to work around this by duplicating the Time library, renaming it TimeLib and (i.e. Time.h -> TimeLib.h, etc) and including that library instead.

Otherwise, my decent sized Teensy 3.1 project (90 source files, several external libraries, ILI9341, touch screen, USB, etc...) all seem to work.

Last edited:
Frank - I wanted to assume that is what this meant: "Introducing arduino-builder, a command line tool that properly calls gcc. Fixes lots of issues about buggy preprocessing." - in 2013 it was an external project. They put that in the release notes - but I don't find a not on how it is any better integrated.

http://arduinodev.com/arduino-uploader/
Arduino Builder comes in GUI (graphic user interface) version, for normal end users, and CLI (command line interface) version, named Arduino Uploader, for integrating into 3rd-party applications.

ArduinoUploader [sketch/HEX file] [board type] [serial port/usbasp]

Sorry for sligthly off topic here...
Th "IDE" is still lightyears away from a serious IDE or even an simple Text-Editor. Its more like a joke.
It lacks even "F3" for continous searching
Try ctrl-g or ctrl-shift-g - Next and previous search...

Not that I am trying to defend the ide, but I do find it easier to use than vi on linux... :lol:
My biggest issue with the IDE is it does not provide an easy way to edit the libraries... But that is not considered typical user stuff...

As for Arduino 1.6.6 - I do like some of the new features, like goto line...

But at least with verbose output turned on (may try with it off). I wish that some of the debug output was not so much.
Also when I do a build, the startup of the build appears to hang for awhile and then displays information like:
Code:
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino i586 Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino i686 Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.cmd.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.cmd.path={path}/bin/avrdude. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.config.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/etc/avrdude.conf. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.elf.cmd}" {compiler.c.elf.flags} -mmcu={build.mcu} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "-L{build.path}" -lm, automatically converted to recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.elf.cmd}" {compiler.c.elf.flags} -mmcu={build.mcu} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} "{archive_file_path}" "-L{build.path}" -lm. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'OpenCM Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino ARM (32-bits) Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Board Intel:i586:izmir_fg doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: I586_IZMIR_FG
Board Intel:i586:izmir_fd doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: I586_IZMIR_FD
Board Intel:i686:izmir_ec doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: I686_IZMIR_EC
Board arbotix:avr:arbotixAd doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: AVR_ARBOTIXAD
Which I am not sure why I care as at the time I have the Board set to: Pro Trinket 5v...

Also wish the EEPROM library would compile without warnings...

As for the other stuff that is output. I sort of like seeing information about usage and the like.

Again sorry for being a bit off topic

Lol.. i found the arduino-builder.exe. Tried to copy the help-text, with "arduino-builder > help.txt". Did not work, otherwise i had posted it here..

Out of interest, why do you not use the standard "board manager" functionality? That would make upgrading so much more fun.

Ok..typical java. A stacktrace instead of a meaningful errormessage. I think i have something wrong with the commandline. Does anbody know where i can find an example how to call it ?

Edit: Ok, got it running.

Last edited:
Can you take the pull request for the XPT2046_Touchscreen.cpp?

Ok, it's merged.

Any general feel on the utility of IDE 1.6.6? Is it good to go to, or will there be a 1.6.7 soon?

I'm not sure. It has a lot of new code with a lot of new bugs, but the new code also fixes a ton of old bugs.

I think it's still too early to tell. I'm going to release 1.26 later today, and if they push out 1.6.7 in a week or two, well, we'll have 1.27 here!

Is there a way to call the new Buildsystem external ?

Yes, but...

Certainly you can run it from the command line. Just copy the command line from the Arduino IDE (in verbose mode). However, it's extremely Arduino specific. So far, it's also only well tested for Arduino's own boards, and I tested it several times for Teensy during the beta period. Every time I found bugs, which Federico fixed promptly. I really wish I would have tested more on Mac OSX.

I'd say this is very early adopter time to use it for anything else. If you like that kind of suffering, just right in. If not, maybe let others go first. I'm sure it'll improve over the next year or so.

Also wish the EEPROM library would compile without warnings...

I just tried EEPROM's eeprom_read example. No warnings for Teensy. Compiling for Arduino Uno gives 2 warnings. Maybe those are the ones you're talking about?

If there are *any* warning or issues that happen with Teensy, please let me know ASAP.

Tried to compiled the SamplePlayer from Audio-Examples:

Code:
Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 10), TD: 1.26-beta2, Board: "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial, 96 MHz (overclock), US English"

C:\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Arduino\hardware" -tools "C:\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -built-in-libraries "C:\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=teensy:avr:teensy31:usb=serial,speed=96,keys=en-us -ide-version=10606 -build-path "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp" -warnings=all -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\examples\SamplePlayer\SamplePlayer.ino"
"C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/../arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=126 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio" "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\AudioSampleCashregister.cpp"
"C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/../arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=126 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce" "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\AudioSampleGong.cpp"
"C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/../arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=126 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio" "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\AudioSampleHihat.cpp"
"C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/../arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=126 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire" "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\AudioSampleKick.cpp"
"C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/../arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=126 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash" "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\AudioSampleSnare.cpp"
"C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/../arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=126 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce" "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\AudioSampleTomtom.cpp"
"C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/../arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=126 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD" "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\SamplePlayer.ino.cpp"
[B]"C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/../arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=126 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio" "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire" "C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\wav2sketch\wav2sketch.c"[/B]
In file included from c:\arduino\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\dirent.h:6:0,
[B]from C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb17e1a51d94d4df5c400214d389061a8.tmp\sketch\wav2sketch\wav2sketch.c:33:[/B]
c:\arduino\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\sys\dirent.h:10:2: error: #error "<dirent.h> not supported"
#error "<dirent.h> not supported"
^
Bibliothek Audio in Version 1.02 im Ordner: C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio  wird verwendet
Bibliothek Wire im Ordner: C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire (legacy) wird verwendet
Bibliothek SPI im Ordner: C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI (legacy) wird verwendet
Bibliothek SD im Ordner: C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD (legacy) wird verwendet
Bibliothek SerialFlash in Version 0.3 im Ordner: C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash  wird verwendet
Bibliothek Bounce im Ordner: C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Bounce (legacy) wird verwendet
exit status 1
Fehler beim Kompilieren.

It wants to compile wav2sketch.
Perhaps the fastest fix is to remove the sourcecode. Temporarily, until this bug is fixed.
Or is it now possible to use subfolders in sketches ? - That would be great, indeed.

Last edited:
Good catch on SamplePlayer. I've moved wav2sketch to a new "extras" folder.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Audio/commit/1c2c54ac5df53a27ada98542384f6ee513d34e33

However, the Teensyduino installer will not know to delete those files if you install the final 1.26 release on top of any prior beta. Installing to a fresh copy of Arduino 1.6.6 should work fine.

Yes, it seems they've enabled recursive compiling of sketches.

The new builder is also supposed to automatically discover when one library depends upon another. So now it's possible to use use #include <Audio.h>. The 1.6.6 builder automatically figures out that SD, SerialFlash, Wire and SPI need to be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back