SPI drivers that prefer hardware CS/DC pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
As I've been playing with ST7735 and SSD1351 displays (particularly with the uncanny eyes code), and thinking of adding radio support via SPI, I wonder which drivers are optimized to need CS and D/C pins from the limited hardware CS list?

In a previous post Paul said ILI9341_t3, ST7735 and TFT_ILI9163C are the drivers he knew about at the time that used the hardware CS/DC pins, but I suspect other drivers (particularly other displays) have gotten optimizations added as people feel the need for speed:

Are there other drivers that people know about that can use the special pins to optimize the device? At the moment, I am thinking of experimenting with various radio drivers (Adafruit RFM69HCW feather, Adafruit Bluetooth BLE SPI, nRF24L01+, and maybe ESP8266/ESP32 if there is a SPI variant instead of serial UART).

This list would probably be good for the Wiki if it ever materializes.

In terms of the hardware CS pins, the CS pins listed in the pinout cards are:
  • Teensy 3.1/3.2: SPI0: (9, 10, 15/A1, 20/A6, 21/A7)
  • Teensy 3.5/3.6: SPI0 (9, 10, 15/A1, 20/A6, 21/A7), SPI1 (31/A12), SPI2 (43, 54)
  • Teensy LC: SPI0 (10), SPI1 (6) -- though I'm not sure if the LC has hardware SPI optimization

Last edited:
The Ethernet lib did require D10 as CS, but I thought Paul fixed that in a recent release.

The ESP-12 module has the SPI pins exposed and it would seem you can use this bus to transfer AT commands to and from it, though there is no official out-of-the-box firmware support for this afaik (there is for the WROOM-S2).

Last edited:
Yup. Actually, Adafruit added Ethernet.init(cspin) to their fork of Arduino.org's Ethernet2 library. I adopted this change into Teensy's version, and optimized the code a bit for speed. But it's really following Adafruit's choice to call this "init" (not the normal naming convention Arduino typically uses).

If this is added to a Wiki, it would be great if it actually listed all of the SPI CS pins (as well as MISO and MOSI and SCLK)
Also would be good if it listed which Channel/Signal each of these pins map to as your program can only use one of a given signal (assuming both used for hardware CS).

Examples:
CS for SPI from (SPI.cpp)
Code:
uint8_t SPIClass::pinIsChipSelect(uint8_t pin)
{
	switch (pin) {
	  case 10: return 0x01; // PTC4
	  case 2:  return 0x01; // PTD0
	  case 9:  return 0x02; // PTC3
	  case 6:  return 0x02; // PTD4
	  case 20: return 0x04; // PTD5
	  case 23: return 0x04; // PTC2
	  case 21: return 0x08; // PTD6
	  case 22: return 0x08; // PTC1
	  case 15: return 0x10; // PTC0
#if defined(__MK64FX512__) || defined(__MK66FX1M0__)
	  case 26: return 0x01;
	  case 45: return 0x20; // CS5
#endif
	}

return 0;
}
As you can see here you can use pins 6 and 9, BUT, only one of these two per program. Likewise for 2 and 10

For SPI1: T3.5/T3.6 - Don't think LC is handled by this code. Also again note: pins 6 and 31 are the same signal, so can't use both as hardware CS in same program. This table also shows the extra CS pins if you use the SDCard pins.
Code:
uint8_t SPI1Class::pinIsChipSelect(uint8_t pin)
{
	switch (pin) {
	  case 6:  return 0x01; // CS0
	  case 31: return 0x01; // CS0
	  case 58: return 0x02;	//CS1
	  case 62: return 0x01;	//CS0
	  case 63: return 0x04;	//CS2
	}
	return 0;
}

SPI2: T3.5/6
Code:
uint8_t SPI2Class::pinIsChipSelect(uint8_t pin)
{
	switch (pin) {
	  case 43:  return 0x01; // CS0
	  case 54: return 0x02; // CS1
	  case 55:  return 0x01; // CS0
	}
	return 0;
}
You will note here that the cards do not show all of these pins. But it would be nice if the Wiki gave the additional information.

As for other libraries that use these? Not sure I know that some of the other display drivers may have been updated, like ones by sumotoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back