Charging a LiPo Battery using the teensy's micro USB input

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckpea12

Would like to know if there is anyway to allow the micro usb port to be used for charging aswell as interfacing with the Teensy.

Would like to know if there is anyway to allow the micro usb port to be used for charging aswell as interfacing with the Teensy.

There are many different ways to do this.

KurtE mentioned one board. The guy who makes them, actually has two different boards:

Both of these boards require you to cut the pad underneath the Teensy that connects the USB to VIN. They provide a convenient on/off switch.

The author designed them to be used under the Teensy, but I don't tend to like doing it that way, because I tend to have Teensy's with the pins going down, and it interferes with using it in breadboards, etc. I tend to mount the board on top of the Teensy, sometimes using stacking headers, sometimes just soldering it. They do work mounted above the Teensy, but the LEDs for charging might be hard to see (generally you can see the reflection).

One problem that I have with these boards is the JST connector is not really stable if you just solder it in the board. If you want to take the battery off, and put it on, you might find yourself having to reattach the JST connector every so often (assuming it doesn't tear of the solder pads).

Adafruit made this board for their Trinket Pro, Trinket M0, and ItsyBitsy boards. Like the previous boards, you need to cut the VIN/VUSB pad. You can attach an on/off switch to the charger.

If you are using the Teensy LC, 3.2, 3.5, or 3.6, be sure to use the ground pin next to pin 0, and not the analog ground pin in between VIN and 3.3v. On the Teensy 4.0 and 4.1, there is no difference between the two ground pins.

If you are using a Teensy 3.2 or LC, my favorite method is the Adafruit Feather adapter. You do not have to cut the solder pads (the adapter will charge the battery if there is power on VIN, and if there is no power on VIN, it will use the battery). Unlike the above boards, this board will give you 5v on VIN if you have the USB connected, and battery voltage (3.7-4.2v) when running on battery. Pin A7 has a voltage divider that allows you to monitor the charge of the battery. The JST connector is solidly attached to the board, and it is a lot easier to attach and detach the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back