Oscilloscope questions - Rigol ds1102e

dimitre

I'm looking for an oscilloscope, for learning purposes.
I'm thinking of 2 probes to inspect some digital LED signal (HD107s) or other kinds of communication. I think two probes is enough for me.

this one is second hand and have an interesting price: (about USD 275)
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br...cking_id=47d7c877-79a7-41a9-93ee-cbe843f2ed63

I think 100mhz is enough for my purposes now, and I'm thinking of buying second hand, so it is cheaper and I can just sell it again if it is not useful anymore, or if I need some other specifications.

Any other things I have to consider?
Thank you

[ You mean 100MHz (!). m = milli, M = mega. ]
Yes that's probably that's a good entry-level capable kind of 'scope - 2 channel is usually enough (4 is nice to have, but usually not essential). 100MHz will be enough for most logic signals you are likely to encounter (assuming you don't want to deal with say LVDS pairs carrying video which can be upto 1Gbaud)

Having a separate 'scope (rather than a USB one) is worth it in my opinion (although USB 'scopes can be cheaper).

Make sure you get 10:1 probes that are 100MHz capable - and use them on the x10 setting, otherwise you'll have much less bandwidth.

I agree that 100MHz, 2-channel will handle most everything you might want to do. 4-channel tends to be more useful when working with analog like if you want to see what the input, output and feedback pins on an Op Amp are doing all at the same time.

If you would prefer to buy new, the Siglent series of Oscilloscopes are very nice for the price. You can get a 100MHz 2-channel one for as little as $319 which isn't much more. The SDS1202X-E is 200MHz for $379 and also has things like built-in bus decoding and other niceties and is what I use on my own bench.

This is the link to the O'scopes and if you scroll down it gives you the pricing. They are pretty widely available through distributors as well.

https://siglentna.com/digital-oscilloscopes/

I have the SDS1202X-E scope. I have found it very useful for general electronics work, including debugging micro-controllers. It can decode I2C which has been quite handy. Also has a built in FFT for measuring frequency response. I bought mine off Amazon for a decent price.

Back