AnalogRead - random values teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanP

Hi,

I'm trying to get readings on the voltage of my battery. Since the voltage of the battery exceeds 3.3V, I'm using a voltage divider with two 25 kohm resistors. See the attached picture for the schematic.
Before using the battery, I tried with a benchtop power supply so I can play with the voltage. I plugged the output voltage to the analog pin A16 (pin number 35) on my teensy 3.6 but when I use the analogRead() function, I keep getting random values. I then tried to put a 0.1 uF capacitor in between the + and GND but that did not resolve the problem.

Here is the simple code I used. And I keep getting random values. Can someone help me?

Thank you!
Roman

PS: I tested the voltage output with a multimeter and I had a very stable voltage of 3V after the divider, which should give me readings near 1000.

volt_div_analog_read.jpg

Code:
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
}

int val;

void loop()
{
val = analogRead(A16);
//val = analogRead(35);
Serial.print("analog is: ");
Serial.println(val);
delay(250);
}

It would help a bit if you defined what you mean by "random values". Do you get values from 0 to 1023 (the full scale for 10-bit resolution), or random over some smaller range near the expected count.

Two suggestions:

1. put the 0.1uF capacitor between the ADC input pin and ground, not between + and ground. Put the capacitor as close to the Teensy pin as possible.
2. Add "pinMode(A16, INPUT_DISABLE)" to your setup code. This disconnects any keeper resistors that might affect the analog input.

Even after you've done these things, you can still expect 4 or 5 counts of variance in your values. If you want a more stable output, like your multimeter,
you need to average the signal over several tenths of a second.

Dear mborgerson and mlu,

Thank you so much for your answers. I finally managed to solve the problem. My Analog GND pin was indeed not grounded!
Now, I have a very clear and stable signal.

Thank you!
Roman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back