Teensyduino 1.41 Beta #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a foruth beta test for Teensyduino 1.41.

Since Arduino's 1.9 betas are a moving target, I've included copies of
beta build #34 which this Teensyduino version expects.

Old beta download links removed. Please use the latest version:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Changes since Teensyduino 1.41-beta3

Adruino 1.9.0-beta support updated from beta31 to beta34
USB MIDI & USBHost_t36 MIDI pitch bend using signed integer -- NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE
USB MIDI & USBHost_t36 Fix receiving some MIDI sysex messages
USB MIDI add Interface_3x3 example
USBHost_t36 fix MIDI getType for note off messages
USBHost_t36 add MIDI Interface_16x16 example
Adafruit_SSD1306 uses 400 kHz in I2C mode
USBHost_t36 Joystick improvements, More Axis, Rumble, LEDs (KurtE)

these Arduino releases still give me Java out of memory errors and lock up still even without the monitor open. There's something seriously wrong somewhere in the latest Arduino workbench for Win7x64 now. Just FYI.

Did you give it a try with a clean install on a more up-to-date platform like Win10 or a more suitable environment for development like an actual Linux distribution? Win7 (and other pre-Win10 versions) have serious bugs when it comes to serial communication over USB...

I've uploaded the Mac version.

Can anyone with a modern Mac please let me know if Gatekeeper allows you to run it without any complaints? This is the first build with a fresh new certificate from Apple. PJRC is supposed to be "identified developer" again, at least until 2023... if I manged to get this new cert installed correctly. The old certificate expired last week.

I tested here on Lion (10.7.5) and High Sierra (10.13.2).

Win 10 Installed on fresh Beta 1.9.0_bld34 the TD 1.41b4 and it works. ( have to unblock the unzip Arduino.exe as usual )

Ctrl+F - IDE Find opens a fresh window and still fails to focus it in Bld34 like 31 and before. Had to Dump Bld 31 and move to Bld 34 {now current beta} for TeensyDuino installer.

Win 10 Installed on fresh Beta 1.9.0_bld34 the TD 1.41b4 and it works. ( have to unblock the unzip Arduino.exe as usual )

Ctrl+F - IDE Find opens a fresh window and still fails to focus it in Bld34 like 31 and before. Had to Dump Bld 31 and move to Bld 34 {now current beta} for TeensyDuino installer.

Yep - still issue, but known and there was a hopeful fix that was submitted today: https://github.com/facchinm/Arduino/commit/cf34453983c9a9cbd120510d1a944f400ac4cef0

Has anyone using Macintosh tried this beta? Are there any Gatekeeper "unidentified developer" warnings?

It seems to work fine on the 1 and only macbook air I have running the latest High Sierra. Would be really nice if anyone else with a modern Mac could confirm.

FWIW, the way I build the Mac version is, well, not quite the standard way Apple envisions. Installing the new cert was tricky. Teensyduino tries to support all Macs running all the way back to 10.7.5. Apple doesn't make that easy. I build on a 10.7.5 system. Newer versions have differences in their toolchains and SDKs that don't support backwards compatibility back to Lion (some might be wxWidgets quicks & dependencies, perhaps not all Apple's fault). But "codesign" on Lion can't produce the newer signatures Apple started requiring somewhere around the Yosemite era. So my build script uses 2 different macs, one for compiling and one for signing and packaging. Getting the cert correctly installed with the proper keys and proper permissions in the keyrings on both macs is quite a fiddly process.

If you have a modern mac running Yosemite or later, or even Mountain Lion, please let me know how this beta works on your machine. Does it pass Gatekeeper with the settings only allow software from identified developers?

Can you try editing the file "C:\Programs Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino.l4j.ini" ? It should have these 2 lines:

Code:
-Xms128M
-Xmx512M

The second one with 512M is supposed to control the maximum heap memory. Does increasing this to 768 or 1024 or even 2048 make any difference?

Install and test compile worked flawlessly on my 2011 MacBookPro, running High Sierra Beta 10.13.3 (17D34a). Gatekeeper config is default (only identified developers) and did not show up protesting or asking :)

Has anyone using Macintosh tried this beta? Are there any Gatekeeper "unidentified developer" warnings?

It seems to work fine on the 1 and only macbook air I have running the latest High Sierra. Would be really nice if anyone else with a modern Mac could confirm.

FWIW, the way I build the Mac version is, well, not quite the standard way Apple envisions. Installing the new cert was tricky. Teensyduino tries to support all Macs running all the way back to 10.7.5. Apple doesn't make that easy. I build on a 10.7.5 system. Newer versions have differences in their toolchains and SDKs that don't support backwards compatibility back to Lion (some might be wxWidgets quicks & dependencies, perhaps not all Apple's fault). But "codesign" on Lion can't produce the newer signatures Apple started requiring somewhere around the Yosemite era. So my build script uses 2 different macs, one for compiling and one for signing and packaging. Getting the cert correctly installed with the proper keys and proper permissions in the keyrings on both macs is quite a fiddly process.

If you have a modern mac running Yosemite or later, or even Mountain Lion, please let me know how this beta works on your machine. Does it pass Gatekeeper with the settings only allow software from identified developers?

Will IDE 1.9.0 install be supported? Is 1.9.0 close to leaving Beta? Or the next beta with Ctrl+F or other fixes?

As you don't normally support non-release builds perhaps just the use of the new builder like before?

Will IDE 1.9.0 install be supported? Is 1.9.0 close to leaving Beta?

All signs point to 1.9.0 beta continuing for quite a long time.

I'm debating whether to leave 1.9.0-beta34 support, or pull it and only officially support 1.8.5.

Or the next beta with Ctrl+F or other fixes?

You need to understand that's (so far) only on Martino's repository. Arduino hasn't merged it yet. There's no indication of when they will. It could be weeks or months, or it could be tomorrow.

As you don't normally support non-release builds perhaps just the use of the new builder like before?

Yeah, not sure what I'll do....

My main goal is to get 1.41 released soon, so everyone can start using the new MIDI stuff and have the many small fixes that have accumulated over the last few months.

It seems wrapping it up so this code can get normal use, and you can get back to other things, would be best.

Supporting the current beta34 doesn't make sense since it could go away at any time. For those that have it - with no post 1.41b4 changes we can live with it as long as it works.

Hmm, I'll qualify that, happy to report it as a fact - but not happy to experience it, or happy that it exists.

I would agree though, my current understanding is that I need to download 1.9.0 beta, which I can't use, for release 1.41 - so what's currently on offer here isn't viable. So I'm unable to use the latest software on my paid-for Teensy. (perhaps, I don't know, unless I downgrade my 1.6.12 to something even earlier like the splash screen says.)

Does any one know if 1.8.5 has the same memory leak when scanning directories? I'm on limited bandwidth here and will not download it unless I know.

IDE 1.9.0 is NOT required - it is a temporary test feature (parallel builds). I've not seen any such errors in my use though.

Go back to current Release IDE build 1.8.5. Do a fresh ZIP install to a clean directory apart from SKETCHbook directory. Then Install fresh TeensyDuino ( 1.41 may release ... this week ). IDE 1.8.5 has been out for Months and should have lots of user miles from all over (Teensy user base and other) on it - any problems seen there should be checked against the Arduino bug base.

1.9.0 is in Beta and it is a JUMP in the feature set - 1.9.0 may be beta for months. PJRC only included to allow feature test - it is not ready for general use and isn't expected to be supported outside TD beta builds.

Thanks defragster, perhaps I misunderstood this statement. I'll give 1.8.5 a go once I finish up with my fourth supported platform changes.

Yes, that was just for those wanting to work on the 1.9 IDE. Each TD released supports some multiple major prior versions that were RELEASED and stood the test of time ( not swapped quick for bugs ).

I dropped Arduino 1.9 beta support from the final 1.41 release. Clearly 1.9 beta is too buggy for any serious use.

Still not sure how we can better communicate the nature of beta tests to new users. It's unfortunate Jasoroony had such an unpleasant experience, but I'm pretty sure those memory leaks were from Arduino's new beta test code. 1.8.5 is very stable.

On a forum admin note, I've changed the forum config to disallow editing messages 2 hours after they are originally posted (was indefinite). The threshold to make edits before the "was edited" note appears has been lengthened to 10 minutes (was 5). I feel strongly that people need the ability to make minor corrections, fix typos, and so on. I personally do this on many of the messages I post. But I also feel strongly that once you've said something in public, you can't take it back, you can't go back and change history. Hopefully this time limit will also help with the spam problem where spambots post legit-looking messages by copying prior text from real users, then edit it days or weeks later to become spam after we're not longer watching the thread.

I would like to figure out what went so very wrong with Jasoroony's experience here on the forum. Does anyone know? It's difficult to figure out, with all his messages now effectively deleted.

Just an idea to think about... What about changing the Teensyduino version numbering be always identical to the latest stable and supported Arduino release ? Thus, the TD1.41 would be called TD1.8.5a instead, so that following intermediate releases could take consecutive letters b, c, d...

That's an interesting idea, but it kind of goes against everything I try to do for software version numbers.

My main feeling is software version numbers are too complicated. I try to stay with only Major.Minor, where Major pretty much never changes. If there were a way to make it simpler yet still recognizable to people as a version number, I would love to do so.

Arduino has chosen to go with Major.Minor.Patch. I personally don't like it, but that is their decision. Years ago they posted quite a bit about following something call semantic versioning as the justification. But it's pretty clear they're not actually following those guidelines. They're not incrementing the middle number for added features. They're also not making patch-level releases which only fix bugs without adding features, except for a couple cases like the recent update for compatibility with Macintosh High Sierra. For a while they were even appending another number on end, giving us 5 different releases which were all called "1.6.5".

While I do append "-beta#" for these beta tests, my overall goal is to keep things simple. My ultimate benchmark for version numbering is whether people unfamiliar with the software releases can clearly communicate. Even there, Teensyduino's versions cause some confusion when the last digit is a zero. Some people write "1.4" when the version is "1.40", meaning the 41st in the 1.xx series.

The last thing I want to do is add another number or letter or other designator. I know so many other software projects do this. My main objection is that I see people miscommunicate these version numbers. They're just too complicated for even fairly technically inclined people who aren't closely following or interested in that particular software's development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back