Prop shield compatibility with Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Experimentalist

I assume this is a simple question, does the Teensy 3.6 plug straight in to the prop shield with motion sensors? I have a Teensy LC with pins plugged in to my propshield at present and a Teensy 3.6 with no pins soldered at present. Using the Teensy LC as a guide it would appear that the Teensy 3.6 would plug straight in and I assumed that was the case but thought I'd ask to be on the safe side. My prop shield has female sockets soldered so I assume I just solder pins to the Teensy 3.6 including the 5 pins that go across the board and plug it in? This assumes the voltage levels are compatible?

Anyone?

Yes, except for the DAC. Teensy 3.6 has its DAC output in a different location than Teensy LC and 3.2. If you want to use the audio amp part, you'll need a short wire to route the DAC signal.

There's also the obvious matter that Teensy 3.6 is physically 1 inch longer. If mounted above, it will make access to the right side pins for LED signals tricky. Best to use sockets and pins rather than hard soldering both sides to the same pins.

With regard to the DAC does that mean I need to leave one pin unconnected? Not intending to use audio at this time, I just want to record accelerometer data to SD card.

With regard to the DAC does that mean I need to leave one pin unconnected? Not intending to use audio at this time, I just want to record accelerometer data to SD card.

Yes, if you don't need audio output via the DAC, you can leave the pins in the back of the prop shield unconnected (the prop shield only uses the DAC pin on the back row if memory serves). Note, the prop shield has pull-up resistors for the I2C bus that the accelerometer is connected to, so you don't have to add extra ones on the 3.6.

IIRC, some EEPROM locations are also used in configuring the accelerometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back