Teensy-4.1 and Teensy audio shield (on MicroDexed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0d3man

Hi @ll,

I got the new T_4.1 and tried an inline replacement inside for my MicroDeded. I am using the Rev B/C audio shields from Teensy. It seems that T_4.1 is not compatible with them. Can anyone confirm this? I hoped it will work, so I do not need to create adapter PCBs for T_4.x. Do I have to use a Rev D audio shield or is there a (software) way to use the older ones, too?

TIA, Holger

Hi,

You need the Rev D for 4.1 ( from here TEENSY4_AUDIO Audio board for use with Teensy 4.0 - 4.1, (Rev D))

There are other changes in pins between 3.6 and 4.1 so you might have to look at other impacts to existing 3.6 pcbs

There are some posts about modifying - re-wiring Rev C for 4.0s which should be applicable to 4.1 also

cheers, Paul

My recommendation would be not to use rev B/C with wires and T4.x. It will create all sorts of problems, I spent a lot of time on this and did not manage to get T4.0 & audio shield to work properly with wires longer than 2cm. A large proper ground plane is even more important.
And, Yes, I can confirm that the Teensy 4.1 works very well with Teensy audio shield rev. D, so this would be my recommendation, or alternatively use external ADC PCM1808 breakout board and DAC PCM5102a breakout boards, they also work nicely with T4.0 (not yet tested with T4.1)(however: keep wires very short and do not use flying wires, but use a large groundplane and install the connecting wires close to the ground plane)

Hi @ll,

I got the new T_4.1 and tried an inline replacement inside for my MicroDeded. I am using the Rev B/C audio shields from Teensy. It seems that T_4.1 is not compatible with them. Can anyone confirm this? I hoped it will work, so I do not need to create adapter PCBs for T_4.x. Do I have to use a Rev D audio shield or is there a (software) way to use the older ones, too?

TIA, Holger

If I recall correctly, you also have a TGA Pro. I made an adaptor for people wanting to use the Teensy 4.0 with it.

https://www.tindie.com/products/Blackaddr/tga-pro-teensy-40-adapter/

Hi,

You need the Rev D for 4.1 ( from here TEENSY4_AUDIO Audio board for use with Teensy 4.0 - 4.1, (Rev D))

There are other changes in pins between 3.6 and 4.1 so you might have to look at other impacts to existing 3.6 pcbs

There are some posts about modifying - re-wiring Rev C for 4.0s which should be applicable to 4.1 also

cheers, Paul

Ok, it seems to be pin compatible to the T_4.0 (for the pins which match the footprint).

Thanks, Holger

My recommendation would be not to use rev B/C with wires and T4.x. It will create all sorts of problems, I spent a lot of time on this and did not manage to get T4.0 & audio shield to work properly with wires longer than 2cm. A large proper ground plane is even more important.
And, Yes, I can confirm that the Teensy 4.1 works very well with Teensy audio shield rev. D, so this would be my recommendation, or alternatively use external ADC PCM1808 breakout board and DAC PCM5102a breakout boards, they also work nicely with T4.0 (not yet tested with T4.1)(however: keep wires very short and do not use flying wires, but use a large groundplane and install the connecting wires close to the ground plane)

Ok, thanks for this information. Hmmmm, my PCB is designed for using the Rev C boards, so the only way seems to build an adapter (and hope that I won't get those signaling problems).

Thanks, Holger

Ok, it seems to be pin compatible to the T_4.0 (for the pins which match the footprint).

Thanks, Holger

Yes, the Teensy 4.1 should be pin compatible with the primary pins it shares with the Teensy 4.0. I've already ordered a few Teensy 4.1s so I'll be able to confirm everything works with the TGA Pro adaptor once those Teensies arrive (probable a few more weeks sitting in customs).

If you plug a T4.1 into the T4.0 adapter board the additional pins will simply be floating there in the air past the socket, just not plugged into the socket itself.

If you have the means to make your own adapter board that seems like a good solution. The schematics for all my boards are posted on their respective product pages but feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the wiring.

Yes, the Teensy 4.1 should be pin compatible with the primary pins it shares with the Teensy 4.0. I've already ordered a few Teensy 4.1s so I'll be able to confirm everything works with the TGA Pro adaptor once those Teensies arrive (probable a few more weeks sitting in customs).

If you plug a T4.1 into the T4.0 adapter board the additional pins will simply be floating there in the air past the socket, just not plugged into the socket itself.

If you have the means to make your own adapter board that seems like a good solution. The schematics for all my boards are posted on their respective product pages but feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the wiring.

Many thanks! I will take a close look at the schematics and start to build my own when I have restored my KiCAD environment.

Regards, Holger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back