Teensy3.5 RTC- Some basic doubt !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogaRaghu

I am using the code below to set the RTC on my Teensy 3.5 and also using a 3V cell to maintain time. All well. But I just wanted to clarify two points :

1. It receives the T variable from the PC. How does that happen as I never installed Processing in it. Or is it native to Win10 PC ?

2. Having synchronized once and the time loaded to the RTC, I am blocking further Sync attempts by setting a Boolean in setup ... please see the "enableTimeSetting" boolean in the code below. Is this OK to use like this ? ( Otherwise the RTC will be set for every loop ? )

Code:
#include <TimeLib.h>

bool enableTimeSetting ;                        // To flag if we need to Synch time...

//*********************************************

void setup()
{
  setSyncProvider(getTeensy3Time);              // Set the Time library to use Teensy 3.5's RTC to keep time

Serial.begin(9600);
  while (!Serial);                              // Wait for Arduino Serial Monitor to open
  delay(100);

if (timeStatus() != timeSet)
  {
    Serial.println("Unable to sync with the RTC");
    enableTimeSetting = true ; 
  }
  else
  {
    Serial.println("RTC has set the system time");
    enableTimeSetting = false ; 
  }
}

//*********************************************

void loop()
{
  if (Serial.available()&& enableTimeSetting )
  {
    time_t t = processSyncMessage();              // Try to synch with PC clock..
    if (t != 0)
    {
      Teensy3Clock.set(t);                       // Set the RTC
      setTime(t);
    }
    enableTimeSetting = false;                   // Stop the PC time synch too often..
  }

digitalClockDisplay();
  delay(1000);
}

//*************  FUNCTIONS **********************

void digitalClockDisplay()
{
  Serial.print(hour());
  printDigits(minute());
  printDigits(second());
  Serial.print(" ");
  Serial.print(day());
  Serial.print(" ");
  Serial.print(month());
  Serial.print(" ");
  Serial.print(year());
  Serial.println();
}

//..............................................

time_t getTeensy3Time()
{
  return Teensy3Clock.get();
}

//...............................................

// Code to process time sync messages from the serial port

#define TIME_HEADER  "T"                        // Header tag for serial time sync message

unsigned long processSyncMessage()
{
  unsigned long pctime = 0L;
  const unsigned long DEFAULT_TIME = 1357041600; // Jan 1 2013

if (Serial.find(TIME_HEADER))
  {
    pctime = Serial.parseInt();
    return pctime;
    if ( pctime < DEFAULT_TIME)                 // Check the value is a valid time (greater than Jan 1 2013)
    {
      pctime = 0L;                              // Return 0 to indicate that the time is not valid
    }
  }
  return pctime;
}

//...............................................

void printDigits(int digits)                     // Utility  clock display: prints preceding colon and leading 0
{
  Serial.print(":");
  if (digits < 10)
    Serial.print('0');
    Serial.print(digits);
}

Hello,

read in this thread https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/47988-Teensy3Time-ino-updates-wrong-time?highlight=RTC the posts of Paul Stoffregen, this might answer you questions.

Good to be linked back to my own post ! Well in the linked post, Paul does explain about the process of setting the RTC during compile time and to be honest it was too much of Geek stuff on what happens behind screens. It helped solve the problem that I had then.

But now my query was how does the timestamp come from the Processing program when I have not installed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back