Arduino CLI And IDE now Released - Teensy Supported!

Good morning all, (my timezone...)

Paul,

I have sort of a question about the plug-able discovery code and how it integrates into the IDE...

Right now suppose I build a sketch, that includes the Serial USB type, If I choose the com port, in this case COM118
(I really do need to clean out my comm list).

I can then click to open the Serial monitor... I then make editing changes, and do a build.

I know at times it won't talk to the Teensy to reboot/compile - but need to see if related to choosing 118 instead of the usb:0/14.... line...
But suppose it builds correctly and installs (this time it did)

It does not reopen the Serial monitor and also won't open it as: the build process selected the usb:0/14... item instead of the Com118.
So I have to go back to tools menu... to choose that port again.

It won't be as much of an issue once plug-able monitor is working, but wondering if user specifically chooses the com version should that selection be maintained after
the build?

Well, that's how Arduino 1.8.19 and all prior versions have worked. Whatever you select in Tools > Ports is remembered, until you select something else. I believe some versions had a popup window to select a different port if the one you had previously selected no longer exists.

I can't say with certainty whether Arduino 2.0-rc3 is meant to work exactly as prior versions have. Maybe this is some new "feature" to automatically change the selection based on hardware changes? Or it could just be a bug. I really do not know.

If you open a github issue, maybe this is the sort of thing where a screen recording or smartphone video of the screen might show the problem better than just describing the steps?

Paul, (and all)

I went ahead and opened a new issue report. Actually it is a composite issue report.

Probably the most important thing is that with their Serial Monitor, a simple sketch is not getting any Serial input, when I type something in, that I think is the
right place and hit enter...

I was curious to see how well their monitor could keep up with Serial output from T4 at high speed...

But I made the sketch slightly more complex by asking for number of lines to output... And the code never receives anything...

Obviously could be a bug in my code, but did try it on 1.8.19 and it worked... At least an earlier version did...

I also tried it on an UNO and it too is not showing anything...

Now back to playing... Probably some using other tools for now.

Update - it did not work on UNO either, I closed the window and reopened it and now the screen shows you are supposed to hit CTRL+enter
screenshot.jpg

now to go back and try Teensy....

The field now shows the CTRL+enter to send... when empty...

Wonder if before it was the switching back and forth between COMx and USB:..

Last edited:
Paul and all

Just ran across a possible conflict if you have Arduino 1.8.19 w/TD and the Arduino IDE 2.0 rc3.

When you install Teensyduino x.x.x it will install libraries in the arduino x.x.x path. In my case its F:\arduino-1.8.19\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries. However. with IDE2 the packages are installed in the arduino15 folder, for me, that is in c:.....\appdata\local\Arduino15\.... The conflict or warning is that if the Teensy package is installed in the Arduino 15 folder Arduino 1.8.19 will default to using the libraries in the Teensy Package in Arduino 15.

Consider this just a heads up if you have both installed :)

Paul and all

Just ran across a possible conflict if you have Arduino 1.8.19 w/TD and the Arduino IDE 2.0 rc3.

When you install Teensyduino x.x.x it will install libraries in the arduino x.x.x path. In my case its F:\arduino-1.8.19\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries. However. with IDE2 the packages are installed in the arduino15 folder, for me, that is in c:.....\appdata\local\Arduino15\.... The conflict or warning is that if the Teensy package is installed in the Arduino 15 folder Arduino 1.8.19 will default to using the libraries in the Teensy Package in Arduino 15.

Consider this just a heads up if you have both installed :)

Confirm that,
After installing Arduino2.0 + TD , the traditional TD uses also the new TD libraries.
In my case, All the changes done to TD (for MTP-Serial, SdFat config) must be ported.

In the long term, it will not be possible to have different TD versions in parallel. For me that is serious.

Confirm that,
After installing Arduino2.0 + TD , the traditional TD uses also the new TD libraries.
In my case, All the changes done to TD (for MTP-Serial, SdFat config) must be ported.

In the long term, it will not be possible to have different TD versions in parallel. For me that is serious.

Indeed, that was in my early discovery notes ( 1/28 p#56 ). With IDE 2 commandeering the world to appdata\...\arduino15 there is no longer an easy way to have multiple TD copies the 'old' way - and the sources are in that remote odd location.

@mjs513 did note that sketchbook\hardware (?) can override to at least have the copy in a more reachable directory. And possibly have alternate 'board_###' variations in that location in some fashion?

Yes, that is how I mentioned I do work when doing stuff with Robotis OpenCM or OpenCR boards.

In fact for awhile I had 3 versions of OpenCR boards
The official release
A version with their develop github branch
A ROS version

For sure they use different libraries...
Note: but they all use the tools out of the arduino15 directory.... So it did not work without the released one installed.

Also note, the current teensy platform.txt files in current released TDs is not compatible... That is how to find the tools is different.

For a little bit I had a version setup for TD 1.8.19 version, but removed it. I think there may have been a few other issues like the population of stuff in tools menu...
Will try again soon

It has been interesting playing with the daily builds... Had not updated since the 0205 daily build as nothing had been updated.

However today looks like, they have merged in some PRs including the newer CLI and newer Theia...

So tomorrows daily build hopefully will include all of this and will update.

View attachment 27513
So yes it look like today's Arduino build has the new CLI

Downloaded this morning as well and verified as 0.21.0 CLI same as you. A couple of other things I noticed
1. Seems to be remembering the last port that the TMM was on after I shut everything down or individually, i.e., IDE and TMM in various combinations but you still have to reselect it in the dropdown
3. Legacy libraries still not supported - PR is still open on that.

Poking around Arduino-ide on github shows a couple things as well
1. the 2 PRs Paul mentioned for Pluggable-monitor not scheduled for incorporation until RC4 which shows only 37% complete with no scheduled release date.
and
2. The have listed 2 addition Release candidates: RC5 and RC6. So looks like still a lot of effort to go.

Things are moving quickly. The Arduino developers fixed 1 of the 2 blocking issues I mentioned in msg #136. :)

Yep - checked this morning before they turned the power off (back on now obviously) the remaining one: https://github.com/arduino/arduino-ide/issues/769 is linked to a CLI change that is still open: https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli/pull/1504. PR1504 is scheduled for arduino-cli 0.22.0 release but that is not showing any progress in the milestone status: https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli/milestone/21. Looks like it passing all but 1 test though if you dig a bit.

As I understand things (could be wrong...), they ought to be able to fix IDE2 issue #769 now that the IDE is using CLI 0.21.

CLI issue #1504 looks like removing the older pre-pluggable monitor API that IDE 2.0-rc3 is using. I'm pretty sure "blocked by" means CLI can't remove the old API yet, but there's no reason why IDE2 can't begin using the new monitor API now (well, other than only so many programming hours in every day, and a ton of work pending).

In other good news, looks like they're going to eventually add support for auto-detecting Tools menu config (like USB Type) to pluggable discovery.

https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli/issues/1660

It'll probably be quite a while until they make the drop-down menu auto-configure menus, but at least there's an issue open now to lay the first part of the infrastructure to someday make that happen. Then the ball will be in my court, as teensy_discovery will need to add more JSON properties and boards.txt specs. Still, very nice to see they're accepting the idea.

@Kurt - could you edit the 1st message on this thread with instructions for newcomers to quickly get up to speed? Maybe some of the info from msg #110?

As I understand things (could be wrong...), they ought to be able to fix IDE2 issue #769 now that the IDE is using CLI 0.21.

CLI issue #1504 looks like removing the older pre-pluggable monitor API that IDE 2.0-rc3 is using. I'm pretty sure "blocked by" means CLI can't remove the old API yet, but there's no reason why IDE2 can't begin using the new monitor API now (well, other than only so many programming hours in every day, and a ton of work pending).

In other good news, looks like they're going to eventually add support for auto-detecting Tools menu config (like USB Type) to pluggable discovery.

https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli/issues/1660

It'll probably be quite a while until they make the drop-down menu auto-configure menus, but at least there's an issue open now to lay the first part of the infrastructure to someday make that happen. Then the ball will be in my court, as teensy_discovery will need to add more JSON properties and boards.txt specs. Still, very nice to see they're accepting the idea.

Sorry power has been on and off today. Hopefully they will get it fixed before 0.22.0 gets released - think its still scheduled for rc4 which should be soon. As you said there is only so much time in the day for programming :).

Looking forward to it getting incorporated.

Quick update: yesterday there was no new release, but there is one today 20220217, which I have downloaded and it does run :D

Interesting note: that the last PR incorporated was changing RC3 to RC4. So I am assuming a RC4 will be released soon. They still show two more active items under milestone rc4.

Quick question: Not sure if this is something that is a limitation of the new IDE and/or something that the Teensy install needs to deal with...

File->Examples->Teensy

That is for example if I were to look into the usb type keyboard on an LC not working with USB Host, thought I would load up one of the examples.
If you look at the 1.8.19 you see:
screenshot.jpg

But with the daily build for IDE2, there is no such teensy menu under examples:
screenshot2.jpg

Again not sure if this is something that should be an issue under the IDE or is something that the boards install should handle.

Quick update: on the previous post about the "Teensy" examples, I went ahead and opened a new issue: https://github.com/arduino/arduino-ide/issues/769

For the heck of it I did hack up a dummy library "Teensy" with all of the 1.8.19 examples, that I renamed to .ino files.... An put them in examples and put dummy empty files in SRC and it does work.
It was also noted in the issue, that this it the way several other platforms: like Robotis OpenCM and OpenCR, ESP32, ESP...

Also noticed today, that I think it looks like they are probably going to soon release RC4, and it looks like the pluggable monitor issue
has been pushed back to milestone RC5:

https://github.com/arduino/arduino-ide/issues/769

Quick update: Looks like Arduino IDE2 RC4 was released.

I know that some of the things that are needed to fully support Teensy are probably not all there, like support for plug-able Serial Monitor, but I have been able to use it for some stuff...

Sad to see #769 got pushed back to rc5. If they still haven't done it by the time we release 1.57, maybe I'll try to communicate with them about it. But from the many other issues, seems they have their hands full.

Do you see any reason to update the experimental package we have already? Without #769, kinda seems like best course is to just wait.

Back