Arduino tem file directory not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

WMXZ

I get recently not unfrequently an error like
GetFileAttributesEx C:\Users\Walter\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_971279: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error compiling for board Teensy 3.6.

In fact, checking the Temp folder a directory of this name does not exist. more, all build directories are gone.
This on Win10, Arduino 1.8.2, TD 1.83b3

This happens when I let Arduino IDE open for a couple of hours without doing anything.
any idea on why this happens?

If this is a clean-up feature, how do I reset Arduino without closing and re-opening the IDE?

Doing a major change in TOOLS will force a rebuild of CORE - change CPU SPEED or OPTIMIZE mode - then change it back if desired. I've left IDE open and it does seem like sometimes it does a longer build all when I'm expecting a 5 second rebuild - but not looked at that.

You might be fighting the system protecting you? Check this thread? : https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/48368-Error-Compiling-for-Board-Teensy-3-6-McAfee-Problem

changing CPU speed did not create new directory.
I was following the McAfee thread. But my observation seems different. I'm using Norton.

I have run into this once or twice, the only way I found at the time was to restart the Arduino IDE. I know at least one time it was after I forgot to turn the computer off and it stayed up all night.

I was wondering if there might be some periodic background disk cleanup demon that may have run. I have not checked to see if there are any such apps installed.

I have run into this once or twice, the only way I found at the time was to restart the Arduino IDE. I know at least one time it was after I forgot to turn the computer off and it stayed up all night.

I was wondering if there might be some periodic background disk cleanup demon that may have run. I have not checked to see if there are any such apps installed.

my conclusion too, clean-up of temp directory could be by OS or Arduino.
Now, I would like to know, who is doing it.

I'm pretty sure it's not the Arduino IDE. The files and folders are deleted when you quit, but as far as I can tell it will leave them intact as long as you keep the IDE running. At least on my Linux system, the build folders stay there for several days if I haven't restarted Arduino. I'm pretty sure the same Java code of the IDE runs and does the same on Windows.

I'm pretty sure it's not the Arduino IDE. The files and folders are deleted when you quit, but as far as I can tell it will leave them intact as long as you keep the IDE running. At least on my Linux system, the build folders stay there for several days if I haven't restarted Arduino. I'm pretty sure the same Java code of the IDE runs and does the same on Windows.
So may be some 'disk-performance' operation that cleans temp directories? (Or, slow failure of SSD of my Win10 notebook?)

I wouldn’t suspect neither the SSD nor Windows, rather the IDE itself having a kind of automated garbage collector, but that’s a guess.

When I saw the unexpected full rebuild on my still open system I had a guess it was the way it came up with the TEMP folder name - resulting in dumping old and making new. But that was just untested conjecture because it was just an occasional rebuild out of the blue ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back