W5100 Ethernet shield preventing Teensy 3.2 from reprogramming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm just getting started with teensy 3.2 and this forum, and am migrating a working sketch using R3 ethernet shield(from arduino). I've made the changes noted in this thread, but I still can't seem to program the teensy with ethernet stack in place. I can program the teensy with the sparkfun adapter and teensy alone. The ethernet shield works find using an arduino mega2560.

I did make the mod for 10k pullup on the sparkfun adapter instead of the ethernet shield so all changes were contained on a single board. would this make a difference?

thanks,
tim

I did make the mod for 10k pullup on the sparkfun adapter instead of the ethernet shield so all changes were contained on a single board. would this make a difference?

Yes. You also need to add the IOREF connection to 3.3V for the R3 ethernet. R2 and earlier don't use IOREF, but R3 does.

Look at the 2nd picture I posted in msg #22. It's that little white wire.

Yes. You also need to add the IOREF connection to 3.3V for the R3 ethernet. R2 and earlier don't use IOREF, but R3 does.

Look at the 2nd picture I posted in msg #22. It's that little white wire.

Yes I added what I thought was an equivalent to the white wire, on the spark fun adapter instead of the Ethernet shield, it's that not adequate? Seems since the pins are common between boards, the jumper could be added in either location.

It should work regardless of where you make the connection, as long as IOREF is really getting 3.3V.

Maybe something else isn't connected properly? Can you post photos of how you've actually got it all built?

As a quick sanity check, I just retested with my Ethernet R3 shield. It does work.

ethR3.jpg

This R3 shield does not require the reset pullup resistor (it apparently has its own pullup). If your R3 shield looks the same, you can probably leave the resistor off and focus your efforts elsewhere.

A quick voltmeter check might help. Make sure both IOREF and 3.3V are high, and RESET is also high (I measured 4.63 on this genuine Arduino Ethernet R3). Fortunately the R3 shield has these signals nicely labeled, so measuring them with voltmeter and a scrap of wire is pretty easy.

ethR3_b.jpg

Just be extremely careful not to accidentally short 5V and 3.3V together if you have dangling wires... if those 2 touch each other, both Teensy and the Ethernet shield will be destroyed.

ok, here are pics of my setupIMG_2890.jpgIMG_2891.jpgIMG_2892.jpg

the switch hanging out is so I can reprogram the teensy with the ethernet shield in place.

tim

Are those SPI pins tall enough to properly mate with the SPI socket on the ethernet shield? They looks a little short....

Are those SPI pins tall enough to properly mate with the SPI socket on the ethernet shield? They looks a little short....

Yes the spi pins bottom out in the connector. You are seeing the cut off pins on the back of the board, not the mating side. I needed to mount it unconventionally because of the needed height and the length of pins that I had on hand.

Would no spi connection prevent a program from loading?

I can see the sketch might not work correctly, but I would expect it to load. I added the pin13 led writes to my program as an indicator of successful program load on teensy 3.2.

regarding voltages, the end pin seems not labeled on my board.
IOREF = 3.3v, second pin in
RESET = 3.5v, third pin in

I received a new teensy board yesterday and with it installed I get same result as measured above for IOREF and RESET. my new ethernet boards don't arrive till thursday.

I can program blink program to teensy with or without the ethernet board attached, but my previous program (from arduino mega) doesn't seem to load. I added same led writes to it as are on the blink program to use as an indicator of operation, no leds, no ethernet. there is a lot of blinking on the ethernet board, ust not on teensy.

suggestions?

I received a new teensy board yesterday and with it installed I get same result as measured above for IOREF and RESET. my new ethernet boards don't arrive till thursday.

I can program blink program to teensy with or without the ethernet board attached, but my previous program (from arduino mega) doesn't seem to load. I added same led writes to it as are on the blink program to use as an indicator of operation, no leds, no ethernet. there is a lot of blinking on the ethernet board, ust not on teensy.

suggestions?

got the new teensy board, and now back to this project. same result. attached is my sketch. suggestions?

Attachments

• analog_shield_teensy_floats_8_29_2016.ino
    13 KB · Views: 60
  • teensy stack.jpg
    teensy stack.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
got the new teensy board, and now back to this project. same result. attached is my sketch. suggestions?

did you connect a terminal? setup is waiting for a terminal to bennected
you could also use
Code:
while(!Serial && millis()<3000);
to wait for usb-terminal, up to 3 seconds

I was just using a browser as I did on the arduino side. the IP address is never recognized. ping says host unreachable.

same sketch(compiled for mega), same ethernet board, same analog shield works fine on mega.

in my serial window, the server initializes as 255.255.255.255 instead of the expected 192.168.1.18 in the code. on mega, initializes properly to 192.168.1.18. code is running as I am pushing out an array index.

so, oddly, seems like an init issue between teensy and mega.

Last edited:
I was just using a browser as I did on the arduino side. the IP address is never recognized. ping says host unreachable.

same sketch(compiled for mega), same ethernet board, same analog shield works fine on mega.

in my serial window, the server initializes as 255.255.255.255 instead of the expected 192.168.1.18 in the code. on mega, initializes properly to 192.168.1.18. code is running as I am pushing out an array index.

so, oddly, seems like an init issue between teensy and mega.

If you look into setup() the program does not go further than
Code:
while(!Serial) {;}
either add the mods I mentioned earlier or comment that line.

ok, commented out suggested code, doesn't ping, browser request times out. only difference in serial monitor window is the server doesn't spit out 255.255.255.255 as it previously did. this line has disappeared, but my serial writes of an array index persists.

with the addition of your suggestion, and earlier line commented out, the serial monitor page shows 0.0.0.0 with continued array_index. ping says unreachable and browser still times out. see attached pic

teensy debug serial monitor.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back