Pre-Beginner Questions / 36 Button MIDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonSuvorov

Hello for everyone!
I’m from Russia (My English can be very bad) and i’m pre-beginner in programming.
I need to create a 36-button MIDI-Device. Which Teensy I need to get and what’s problems did I face?

Hello for everyone!
I’m from Russia (My English can be very bad) and i’m pre-beginner in programming.
I need to create a 36-button MIDI-Device. Which Teensy I need to get and what’s problems did I face?

@AntonSuvorov:

Take a look at my TeensyMIDIPolySynth project for some hardware ideas on using MUXs to allow multiple pushbuttons using a minimum number of pins. You didn't mention whether your project will be a MIDI controller, a MIDI device, or both. If you plan to allow MIDI devices to be connected to your project via USB, I would recommend using the T4.1, as it is easy to add the 2nd USB interface as a USBhost.

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

It's a good idea to look at how other people have done things, replicate what they did, and then make very small incremental changes - verifying whether it works at each step - to see if you can move in the direction you want. Be willing to make mistakes, and even look forward to them, because you cannot learn anything about software development without making mistakes. Get proficient at easy things before attempting hard things.

As you introduce yourself to writing software, think of how easy it is to snap a pencil in half, and how it gets harder to snap each progressively smaller piece. Once you get down to 1/4 of a pencil, it's much more difficult. When writing functions, keep them as small as possible, and they will be stronger and harder to break. The function that is small and simple is like iron. The thing that drives programmers crazy is when a function slowly grows larger and larger over time, and it knows too much and does too much. Making even a small change can break the function very easily, in ways that are hard to understand. It makes programmers afraid to touch their own code, because it will collapse at the slightest breeze.

...I need to create a 36-button MIDI-Device. Which Teensy I need to get and what’s problems did I face?

Teensy 3.5, 3.6 or 4.1 have enough pins to support that many switches without having to use a multiplexer or some other means of handling so many signals.

Wiring so many switches will be very difficult to do without error. Do you have the switches selected? Do you have experience with wiring and simple electronics?

Many fail at large MIDI controllers when it's their first project. Maybe build a test project or two before taking on so much wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back