Teensy 4.0 First Beta Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it's a mistake but in the first page CAN3 is listed as:
Code:
30     EMC_37     3.23                         GPT1_3   3_RX  3:MCLK     I-23
31     EMC_36     3.22                         GPT1_2   3_TX  3:TX_DATA  I-22

so on pins 30 and 31, and as per that list, and the datasheet, EMC_36 and EMC_37 are the CAN3 FD pins

However when I looked into the core I see differently:
Code:
#define CORE_PIN30_CONFIG	IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_GPIO_EMC_24
#define CORE_PIN31_CONFIG	IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_GPIO_EMC_23
#define CORE_PIN30_PADCONFIG	IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_GPIO_EMC_24
#define CORE_PIN31_PADCONFIG	IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_GPIO_EMC_23

I think when you swapped the physical pins you forgot to edit those entries to reflect that
Already tested FlexCAN_T4 on B2 and it works on pins 0 and 1 (CAN2) and 22 and 23 (CAN1), but I think this is where Mike got stuck on FD, the registers wern't matching the physical pins

Also the CANFD daisy chain register seems to be missing, if i calculated the offset right, is this correct?

#define IOMUXC_FLEXCAN3_RX_SELECT_INPUT (IMXRT_IOMUXC_b.offset38C)

datasheet lists it as address 0x401F878C
the base of IMXRT_IOMUXC_b is 0x401F8400
so an offset of 38C should add up if im doing it right :p

Last edited:
Starting to play around with updating my experiment of an RPI shield from using T3.2 to using a T4...

This is more like notes to self, but suggestions are always wanted. The 3.2 version looked something like:
T3.2---RPI-Shield-V2a---Top.jpg

Now trying to decide on a few things like:
a) My T3.2 version was using the DAC to generate sound... Don't think we have one here, so will probably go back to simple Tone generation stuff instead.

b) Decide which Serial port to use for Servos. On T3.2 I used Serial1 as Serial1/2 are faster than 3... But on T4, not sure if there are any differences.
b1) Likewise I had it setup to be able to jumper one of the Uarts on T3.2 over to RPI uart pins in expansion connector... To reduce USB latency issues (and to avoid needing cable)... But with T4 USB speeds...

c) No reset button, probably replace with power button.

d) USB Host - Add, need to look for preferred wiring for it... I know I saw this in the thread. My guess it will be interesting to have USB than the SD, especially when we can use USB storage... (Need to play with that some)

e) Will be interesting to see how hard it is to break out the SD pins... I think new B3 board will be on 1mm spacing.

Now back to playing :D

@KurtE
d) USB Host - Add, need to look for preferred wiring for it... I know I saw this in the thread. My guess it will be interesting to have USB than the SD, especially when we can use USB storage... (Need to play with that some)
For me I agree, better off to have usb host set up. The biggest problem with the library is what I ran into with the SDFat library. It uses direct calls through the chip for the USHC as well as needing to restructure SPI from what I can see.

@KurtE
For me I agree, better off to have usb host set up. The biggest problem with the library is what I ran into with the SDFat library. It uses direct calls through the chip for the USHC as well as needing to restructure SPI from what I can see.

Will be interesting to see how fast the USB stuff can for example read in BMP files as compared to SDCard.

I have been experimenting with a question someone asked about a couple of months ago, but only saw a day or two ago. About how fast can you read in BMP files and update the display. I think they saw about 3 frame per second...

So I I thought I would try it out: I started off with the spitftbitmap program and then updated to use ili9341_t3n with frame buffer and then told it to update the screen async... I was seeing something in the range of 3-4 per second. Note: the BMP read in code is trying to read in 80*3 bytes at time from SD... So I thought I would try increasing it... So right now trying 960*3 (4 rows), which is getting me up to 9+ frames per second, but the data is corrupted... Not sure yet if the read is corrupting or the updateAsync....

So far looks like reading is is the issue as changed the updateScreenAsync to updateScreen and still showing corruption. It also dropped down frame rate to about 6.8

@KurtE

When playing around with SDFat lib I could only read the SD card at 4Mhz which seemed strange. Maybe its something with the SD Card lib holding back speed - not maximum? Just a thought.

MCP2558FD QUESTION for FD CAN?

Need a sanity check on this one from you all on this one. From the datasheet for the MCP2558FD I read that for the "s" pin:

The device may be placed in Silent mode by applying a high level to the ‘S’ pin (pin 8). In Silent mode, the transmitter is disabled and the CAN bus is biased to VDD/2. The high-speed differential receiver is active.

The CAN controller must put the MCP2557FD/8FD back into Normal mode to enable the transmitter.
I am not sure I am interpreting this correctly but if I am it seems that I have to put pin6 low when I am ready to transmit and then switch back to pin6 HIGH for it to be enabled to receive. Hard to believe I am interpreting that correctly.

EDIT: Know there was a post somewhere about connecting rx/tx pins directly but cant find it now for some reason.

Last edited:
To transmit it seems indeed that pin must be held low. http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/20005533A.pdf

With an independent Tx and Rx pin it seems bidirectional operation should be supported - but that may be a CAN thing. That may be just for snooping and assuring there is no chance to interfere with a system in use? There is a 1.6.3 note on normal mode - perhaps to make sure that during power up the device can't 'drive the Tx bus' The concern seems to be taking Tx offline when not in active use as that could disable the bus data?

Though it isn't clear you can't transmit and receive with that pin low.
1.7.10 SILENT MODE INPUT PIN (S)
This pin sets Normal or Silent mode. In Silent mode, the
transmitter is off and the high-speed receiver is active.
The CAN bus common mode voltage is VDD/2 when in
Silent mode.
The ‘S’ pin (pin 8) is connected to an internal MOS pullup
resistor to VDD or VIO, in the MCP2557FD or
MCP2558FD, respectively. The value of the MOS pullup
resistor depends on the supply voltage. Typical values
are 660 k for 5V, 1.1 M for 3.3V and 4.4 M for
1.8V

1.4 Permanent Dominant Detection
The MCP2557FD/8FD device prevents a permanent
dominant condition on TXD.

1.6.3 NORMAL MODE
… During POR, when the microcontroller
powers up, the TXD pin could be unintentionally pulled
down by the microcontroller powering up.

@defragster

Now you see why I am getting confused, I did try and put it low for transmit and then when done put it high but didn't do anything so may be a completely different problem. I have a 1060evk board on order to test with just in case. This way I can get the registers etc to try and narrow down the problem.

@PaulStoffregen
A bunch of posts back you asked if there is a viable alternative for the MCP2558FD chip - you might want to check this one out - MCP2542FD - it does support both CAN20 and CANFD up to 8Mps. Haven't seen anything yet that supports the max of 12.

Just looking at the CAN2 adapters and T4-2 Breakout - there are only two lines CANH and CANL - given it is a differential pair - it seems the protocol would say if Rx and Tx are mutually exclusive. This must be the case with CAN2? Maybe the CANFD is more powerful/sensitive and taking Tx offline is essential to let it function?

Also there was a question about the 120 Ohm resistor left off - each end point needs one - but if testing with two terminated devices it would be left off

@defragster
You are correct if you only have 2 CAN boards you need the two termination resistors. Anything in between you don't need it. I tested with and without the resistor in place and no joy. What I am trying to do is isolate the problem down from 3 variables (the transceiver, the click and the driver I am using on the T4) down to 1 that I can concentrate on that's why I ordered the 1060 board. Unfortunately if I reading that schematic right (evk) there is no transceiver on the board so I just finished designing one and sent off to PCBway. They are usually quick and have the boards back within a week.

I'm going to package up a 1.47-beta2 installer this evening, now that USB serial is mostly working and performing pretty well (at least for transmit).

Going to try reducing the serial monitor's buffering, to hopefully solve the Java heap size problems on Windows (and maybe other systems?)

If there's anything urgent I've missed, please let me know?

After this installer, I'm going to put the USB stuff aside for a few days, so I can concentrate on the startup problem after powerdown with leakage current through the I/O pins, and the bugs with the 15 sec restore process.

In anyone has the time and patience to test with Raspberry Pi, I'd really like to hear whether T4 also suffers from this issue on Raspberry Pi?

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/5573...ry-Pi-with-USB?p=203634&viewfull=1#post203634

Also curious to hear how the lines/sec benchmark runs on Raspberry Pi. Does the Arduino Serial Monitor on Raspberry Pi also have the heap memory exception? Or does T4's fast transmit so completely overwhelm Java on Raspberry Pi that you can't even get that far?
well I have a rpi that isnt being used but no t4 so. I dont think it has arduino even installed.. lemme dig it out and see whats up with it.

I've uploaded 1.47-beta2. Links on msg #2 as usual.

This installer has the latest USB serial stuff, and a first (likely unimpressive) attempt to improve Arduino's serial monitor. I cut the FIFO buffer size in half, and replaced a couple buffers which were being allocated and eventually garbage collected for each chuck of incoming data. Hoping that might help on the Windows version running out of heap space. As usual, I've tested mostly on Linux, so depending on feedback from everyone running Windows....

most transceivers for FD are 5mbit, your lucky if you find 8mbps, the controller i believe does 8 max, but you are limited by the transceiver speed... currently my setup is 2 mcp2517fd click board using IMCTFD, one on t3.5 and one on t3.6, both are also using IFCT at same time, so talking to each other on the network so we have valid activity. so while t3.6 and t3.5 are talking in both fd and can2.0 mode, i do testing with the t4 board, no resistors are needed at this moment since both the click boards and tindie tranceivers on flexcan are already terminated, plus CAN2 on t4 is jumped to t3.5/3.6 flexcan. so 3 teensies are in the mix with 2 networks, we just need a solution for CAN3. However the reason why it’s probably not working is that I noticed it’s not exiting freeze mode. CANFD(CAN3) is able to operate in legacy mode identically to CAN1 and CAN2, however, we still need to populate a register somewhere to satisfy the MCR before it can unfreeze, more debugging work to do! :)

installed td 1.47b2. Install halted with orphaned active teensyports - not surprising given the fault of the IDE - but first I've seen that since way back.

Restarted with new install: The Prior for some reason a long running latency test died early, changed it to stop not continue on that error msg - ran 57 sets of the up/down test, will see what it does in time - now up to set #500

Forgot to note I was having some luck with Build>Upload without button. And it worked first time after new IDE as well - which is good as I was on Remote Desktop.
Just did two more Auto uploads okay.

The second is the TelemetryViewer sketch with FreqCount verion of Lines/sec showing 30,600 Hz on toggled pin - IDE SerMon is running okay at that rate. Did not disable any debug output - but none showing as it runs.

JUST NOTICED - T4-2 keeps running now while SerMon is disconnected - no longer stalls.

SerMon on lps_test very sluggish - no actually showing much in the way of updates?but reporting this:
/sec=168893
count=13419540, lines/sec=168893
count=13419541, lines/sec=168893
count=13419542, lines/sec=168893
count=13419543, lines/sec=168893
count=13419544, lines/sec=168893
count=13419545, lines/sec=168893
count=13419546, lines/sec=168893
count=13419547, lines/sec=168893
count=13419548, lines/sec=168893
count=13419549, lines/sec=168893
count=13419550, lines/sec=168893
count=13419551, line363986
count=14038439, lines/sec=363986
count=14038440, lines/sec=363986

count=14039829, lines/sec=363986
count=14039830, lines/sec=363986

Closed that and TyComm gives a first 197K lines/sec then is jumping between 52K and 104,000 lines/sec
But I shrunk the buffer so it is hard to cut and paste - though it can be disconnected and copied and it continues:
count=79677978, lines/sec=101243
count=79677979, lines/sec=101243
count=79677980, lines/sec=101243
count=7967
count=79695270, lines/sec=70195
count=79695271, lines/sec=70195
count=79695272, lines/sec=70195
count=79695273, lines/sec=70195

It is keeping up at that rate on Windows.

Closed that and back to SerMon and it does the 160K again then 450K for a burst and then stops updating.

The count is probably high because the T4 is now running past buffer full and not stalling.

Without the support for : if ( Serial.availableForWrite() > 15 )
it shows this when used:
count=10000000, lines/sec=0

Closed SerMon but IDE is now showing this in console:
Code:
Sketch uses 9856 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1572864 bytes.
Global variables use 12992 bytes (4%) of dynamic memory, leaving 249152 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Thread-80" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

IDE did close and no orphaned TeensyPorts.

<edit> Some 30+ minutes later TyComm still running well - but without avaialbleForWrite() it seems it is just passing the write and incrementing the count instead and showing 300 and 400K l/sec
count=297601711, lines/sec=314622
count=297601712, lines/sec=314622
count=297601713, lines/sec=314622
count=297601714, lines/sec=314622
count=297601715, lines/sec=314622

Last edited:
Serial.availableForWrite() is not yet implemented.

As noted - yes - but Serial full is no longer blocking so the lps_test sketch is skewed now on T4 like it was before on T_3.x's. It isn't showing impossible numbers - just untrue.

And to update - TyCommander Serial to T4-2 with beta 2 is still running usably - showing 311-370K type numbers.
count=1804621400, lines/sec=227174
count=1804621401, lines/sec=227174
count=1804621402, lines/sec=227174
count=1804621403, line439840
count=1813232428, lines/sec=439840
count=1813232429, lines/sec=439840

count=1815509927, lines/sec=439840
count=1815509928, lines/sec=439840

The lps_test.exe I made is keeping going at 140-150K lps. I put in an exit when it got 4 _brk_ from waiting - and that was statis and adding up - so I had to zero it on read data - so now it keeps running without quitting falsely.

It is showing data loss in the 64K buffer - where it reads the first \n string in the buffer after the first \n found after it has read 512 bytes - so it has pulled buffered data before stopping to print.

Both of those things did not happen before - accumulating wait timeouts nor showing regular skips in the data string

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

I am installing now on RPI3...

Just installed on Windows 10 64 bit...
Now getting different Java exception...
Or maybe just more information .... Still heap space...

Code:
	at javax.swing.text.GapContent.allocateArray(GapContent.java:94)
	at javax.swing.text.GapVector.resize(GapVector.java:214)
	at javax.swing.text.GapVector.shiftEnd(GapVector.java:229)
	at javax.swing.text.GapContent.shiftEnd(GapContent.java:345)
	at javax.swing.text.GapVector.open(GapVector.java:201)
	at javax.swing.text.GapVector.replace(GapVector.java:142)
	at javax.swing.text.GapContent.insertString(GapContent.java:132)
	at javax.swing.text.AbstractDocument.handleInsertString(AbstractDocument.java:723)
	at javax.swing.text.AbstractDocument.insertString(AbstractDocument.java:707)
	at javax.swing.text.PlainDocument.insertString(PlainDocument.java:130)
	at javax.swing.JTextArea.append(JTextArea.java:477)
	at processing.app.AbstractTextMonitor.updateTextArea(AbstractTextMonitor.java:185)
	at processing.app.AbstractTextMonitor.lambda$message$0(AbstractTextMonitor.java:175)
	at processing.app.AbstractTextMonitor$$Lambda$158/7424485.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)
	at javax.swing.text.AbstractDocument.handleInsertString(AbstractDocument.java:723)
	at processing.app.AbstractTextMonitor.updateTextArea(AbstractTextMonitor.java:185)
	at processing.app.AbstractTextMonitor.lambda$message$0(AbstractTextMonitor.java:175)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
Last few lines of output...
Code:
count=12245159, lines/sec=231010
count=12245160, lines/sec=231010
count=12245161, lines/sec=231010
count=12245162, lines/sec=231010
count=12245163, lines/sec=231010
count=12245164, lines/sec=231010
count=12245165, lines/sec=231010
count=12245166, lines/sec=

I have now installed on RPI3 on Arduino 1.8.9 and all of my compiles for Teensy4 are failing to compile:
Code:
Arduino: 1.8.9 (Linux), TD: 1.47-beta2, Board: "Teensy 4-Beta2, Serial, Faster, US English"

/home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware -hardware /home/pi/.arduino15/packages -hardware /home/pi/Arduino/hardware -tools /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/tools-builder -tools /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -tools /home/pi/.arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/libraries -libraries /home/pi/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=teensy:avr:teensy4b2:usb=serial,opt=o2std,keys=en-us -ide-version=10809 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_811270 -warnings=all -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_924888 -verbose /home/pi/.arduino15/packages/OpenCM904/hardware/OpenCM904/1.2.0/libraries/OpenCM9.04/examples/01_Basics/b_Blink_LED/b_Blink_LED.ino
/home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware -hardware /home/pi/.arduino15/packages -hardware /home/pi/Arduino/hardware -tools /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/tools-builder -tools /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -tools /home/pi/.arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/libraries -libraries /home/pi/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=teensy:avr:teensy4b2:usb=serial,opt=o2std,keys=en-us -ide-version=10809 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_811270 -warnings=all -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_924888 -verbose /home/pi/.arduino15/packages/OpenCM904/hardware/OpenCM904/1.2.0/libraries/OpenCM9.04/examples/01_Basics/b_Blink_LED/b_Blink_LED.ino
Using board 'teensy4b2' from platform in folder: /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/teensy/avr
Using core 'teensy4' from platform in folder: /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/teensy/avr
Detecting libraries used...
/home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/teensy/../tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -E -CC -x c++ -w -g -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib -std=gnu++14 -fno-exceptions -fpermissive -fno-rtti -fno-threadsafe-statics -felide-constructors -Wno-error=narrowing -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -D__IMXRT1062__ -DTEENSYDUINO=147 -DARDUINO=10809 -DF_CPU=396000000 -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy4 /tmp/arduino_build_811270/sketch/b_Blink_LED.ino.cpp -o /dev/null
In file included from /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy4/wiring.h:44:0,
                 from /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy4/WProgram.h:45,
                 from /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy4/Arduino.h:6,
                 from /tmp/arduino_build_811270/sketch/b_Blink_LED.ino.cpp:1:
/home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/arm/arm-none-eabi/include/c++/5.4.1/type_traits:38:28: fatal error: bits/c++config.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Error compiling for board Teensy 4-Beta2.

Note: the blink program will compile for Teensy 3.2

Running a sketch ran serial monitor and seemed to work but when I closed sermon with sketch still running I get:
Code:
inputPipeListener thread exit
inputPipeListener thread exit
Debug output? Reopening the sermon still works but if I close it again get the same message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back