Teensyduino 1.43 Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a first beta test for Teensyduino 1.43.

Old beta download links removed. Please use the latest version:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Changes since Teensyduino 1.42

Support for Arduino 1.8.6
Ethernet updated to 2.0.0
Fix default Ethernet CS pins on Teensy 2.0 & Teensy++ 2.0
Fix USB Keyboard '#' for UK & Irish layouts
Generic UDP class support beginMulticast
Fix USB MIDI hogging transmit buffers
Fix FreqCount for use at high frequencies
Installer automated install, use --dir=<directory>

Hi Paul

Just installed 1.8. with Teensyduino 1.43 and had no issues with the install. Went very smoothly.

Compiled 3 test sketches: (1) UAVcan sketch that pretty much uses a heck of a lot c++ libraries as well tonton81's IFCT (Flexcan) library (2) a NXPMotionSense library test and (3) one of my rover Obstacle avoidance sketches which uses Teensythreads, BNO055, GPS, ping etc libraries. All three compiled without issue.

I did notice in Task Manager Disk Usage go to 100% for awhile and then CPU usage jumped up to about 93%.

So far so good for initial tests.

Respectfully
Mike

I'm looking into the serial plotting issues now. It's going to take some work... but hope to have something to test for beta2.

I have a problem when using Teensys with this latest Arduino IDE 1.86 and TD 1.43_b1.
If I start the IDE and then change the board from UNO to T3.6, close and restart the IDE it starts up OK.
If I do the same thing but after setting the board, I also use Tools|Preferences to change the sketchbook location from the Arduino location (...\Documents\Arduino) to my Teensy directory (...\Documents\Teensy), then close. When I restart the IDE, it gets as far as "Preparing boards ..." and then disappears.

Is there any debugging output I can look at to see what is wrong?

Pete
Windows 10 Pro x64

@el_supremo … Was the (...\Documents\Arduino) folder removed/renamed away?

My sketchbook has been elsewhere a long time - but I still have :: "C:\Users\me\Documents\Arduino\libraries\readme.txt"

if you don't have that path maybe it freaks out? Maybe Windows is stopping a write there if it is trying to recreate it now?

The Arduino and Teensy folders are where they have always been for many years. The previous versions of Arduino 1.8.5 and TD 1.42 still run fine.

Pete

'm looking into the serial plotting issues now. It's going to take some work... but hope to have something to test for beta2.
Thanks Paul but on a priority scale I would be low since it doesn't really have much impact but was an observation. If there are other things that need to be fixed I think this should be low on the list.

Respectfully
Mike

@Mike - forget if I asked:

Does plotting work using the default SerMon ports entries versus the Teensy entries added in 1.42 distinct from the IDE's JAVA code?

Hopefully works unchanged and is a valid workaround.

Tim. Yep you asked :). The response was in the second link. Basically it works with just comx (teensy) but not the comx (Teensy 3.5). So the issue is in Teensyduino like you said in the post following that one. So its a workaround to just use the comx(teensy) if you want to use Serial Plotter. That's why is said I would be it at low priority if there is other stuff that has to get fixed. Besides not sure how many other folks use Serial Plotter. I just use it as a quick debug tool for some of my projects anyway.

When I restart the IDE, it gets as far as "Preparing boards ..." and then disappears.

Is there any debugging output I can look at to see what is wrong?

Yes. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino (or whereever you have Arduino installed), look for "arduino-debug.exe". It will open another window which shows debug info when Arduino crashes.

Basically it works with just comx (teensy) but not the comx (Teensy 3.5).

Fixed this today. The fix will be in beta2.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/A...mmit/0c460e86e572933a07a4498a504a8e77b3d7e0c8

That's why is said I would be it at low priority if there is other stuff that has to get fixed.

This one was near the top of my list for 1.43.

I have about a dozen more that are unconfirmed / not-yet-investigated issues. Going to look at a couple of them. Regardless, my intention is to publish beta2 by Monday.

If anyone has stuff they want to see in beta2, now's the time. After beta2 we'll start the transition to only bug fixes, so the opportunity for merging any extra features for 1.43 is rapidly closing....

I wiped out the installation and the preferences.txt and did a fresh install.
Same problem. I then ran arduino_debug.exe in a PowerShell window. Here's the output:
Code:
PS C:\arduino-1.8.6_1.43_b1> .\arduino_debug.exe
Loading configuration...
Initializing packages...
Preparing boards...
Invalid version found: 1.04
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at processing.app.packages.UserLibrary.create(UserLibrary.java:156)
        at cc.arduino.contributions.libraries.LibrariesIndexer.scanLibrary(LibrariesIndexer.java:213)
        at cc.arduino.contributions.libraries.LibrariesIndexer.scanInstalledLibraries(LibrariesIndexer.java:190)
        at cc.arduino.contributions.libraries.LibrariesIndexer.rescanLibraries(LibrariesIndexer.java:150)
        at cc.arduino.contributions.libraries.LibrariesIndexer.setLibrariesFolders(LibrariesIndexer.java:109)
        at processing.app.BaseNoGui.onBoardOrPortChange(BaseNoGui.java:715)
        at processing.app.Base.onBoardOrPortChange(Base.java:1313)
        at processing.app.Base$12.actionPerformed(Base.java:1540)
        at processing.app.Base.filterVisibilityOfSubsequentBoardMenus(Base.java:1579)
        at processing.app.Base.access$000(Base.java:83)
        at processing.app.Base$11.actionPerformed(Base.java:1512)
        at processing.app.Base.rebuildBoardsMenu(Base.java:1490)
        at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:267)
        at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:145)
Although it says it found an invalid version 1.04, it doesn't say exactly where and what it is.

Any ideas?

Pete

Pete: Suppose you have had v1.04 installed once in the past on this machine?
If you open an IDE 1.85 does this happen with TD 1.42 or 1.43b1?
Does it work if the sketchbook is not moved to Teensy folder?

It does seem to be failing on the Library processing … not sure I could cause it to happen on my machine that only started with release of IDE 1.60?

Although it says it found an invalid version 1.04, it doesn't say exactly where and what it is.

Indeed that's a rather unhelpful error message!

I've added a small patch to print better info. If we don't get this figured out now, at least beta2 will print something more useful (and should manage to start up, rather than crashing hard).

I also use Tools|Preferences to change the sketchbook location from the Arduino location (...\Documents\Arduino) to my Teensy directory (...\Documents\Teensy)

My guess you have a ...\Documents\Teensy\libraries folder, and one of the libraries in that folder is offending Arduino's rather brittle library parsing code. Maybe move them all to another folder. If Arduino is able to start up, try adding them back in until you find the one causing the trouble?

I have no idea which library it could be, but it's probably my fault. I used to use this syntax years ago. I recall having to update a couple of my old libs when Arduino added all this stuff, but I don't recall which ones.

@defragster: I use the zip install for the Arduino IDE so I have several versions on my hard drive but they can't get confused because the windows registry doesn't get set. I can still run 1.85/1.42 without any problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

@Paul: I searched my teensy library directory for the string "1.04" and the only place it showed up was in the library.properties file of arduinouip. I moved that directory out of the way (up one level) and tried again. It still crashed so I ran arduino-debug and this time it shows that it crashed with "Invalid version found: 0.01" so one wee step further! But better yet, the previous line actually gave this information:
Code:
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\examples: C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\examples
I've repeated the process and found two library directories which I moved and one I've deleted that shouldn't have been there anyway.
Now arduino_debug spews a long list of "invalid library" messages but it does start up. All the messages seem to be related to only four libraries which I'll figure out tomorrow.
It's just occurred to me that earlier versions of the IDE have probably been running into these problems as well but, although they don't crash, maybe it would explain why the IDE is slower to start up for Teensy rather than Arduino processors.

Thanks very much Paul.

Pete

@Paul FYI: the remaining messages involved four libraries
Code:
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\i2c_t3: C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\i2c_t3
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\reorder_table_creator: C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\reorder_table_creator
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\RF24_audio: C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\RF24_audio
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\SdFatx: C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Teensy\libraries\SdFatx
but it repeated those same four messages about 20 times. I moved the offending library directories out of the way and now it starts up without any error messages.

I've just tried the arduino_debug.exe in http://downloads.arduino.cc/javaide/pull_requests/arduino-PR-7922-BUILD-759-windows.zip and it doesn't fix the problem.

Pete

Cristian wrote today "I think that should be merged and another IDE release made ASAP".

Dunno if that means we'll see Arduino 1.8.7 soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back