MKL02 / MKL04 Bootloader Chips Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Finally, bootloader chips for DIY Teensy 3.2 & Teensy LC projects are available!

http://www.pjrc.com/store/ic_mkl02.html

The chip comes in 2 sizes, the same tiny 3x3mm we use on Teensy, and a larger 7x7mm package with soldering iron friendly 0.8 mm pitch pins.

It automatically detects if you've connected a MK20DX256 or MLK26Z64.

That's awesome! Looking forward to ordering a few and updating the eagle library with the MKL04...

EDIT: Added the library. I will attempt to find the other instances and replace the copies there also.

This library contains the MKL02, MKL04, and two versions of the MiniTan54 bootloading chips (3x3mm, LFQP-48, and QFN4x4 + TQFP-48, respectively). Also contained are the Teensy 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and LC Teensy MCU's.

FWIW, I have removed all mention of the 3.4 and 3.5 connections on the MiniTAN54 chips since these connections will never be used.

I have not yet used the MKL04, so I have no idea if the footprints / connections are OK. I have used the MKL02 successfully.

Attachments

• Teensy_DIY_v1.0.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
That's awesome! Looking forward to ordering a few and updating the eagle library with the MKL04...

EDIT: Added the library. I will attempt to find the other instances and replace the copies there also.

View attachment 5241

This library contains the MKL02, MKL04, and two versions of the MiniTan54 bootloading chips (3x3mm, LFQP-48, and QFN4x4 + TQFP-48, respectively). Also contained are the Teensy 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and LC Teensy MCU's.

FWIW, I have removed all mention of the 3.4 and 3.5 connections on the MiniTAN54 chips since these connections will never be used.

I have not yet used the MKL04, so I have no idea if the footprints / connections are OK. I have used the MKL02 successfully.

Great! just ordered 25.

I know there is a teensy 3.1 Eagle library, however, I am not very good at using eagle and the library is a requires more steps to modify. It would be very helpful if there is a teensy 3.2 board Eagle file like this; https://github.com/appfruits/Custom-Teensy.

Paul would be very greatful is you could do some help check on our custom PCB before assembly. Its basically an integration of the teensy 3.2 and the audio chip.

I've talked to our over-worked legal department about this from my end and can't do it yet. Thus, all I feel comfortable releasing are simple things like these chip and board libraries. If I get an ok, I can add sample board designs.

That said, the file that app fruits posted is so close to a teensy 3.2 design that making required changes should be relatively trivial. Besides, the complexity of the teensy basics (i.e. Boot loader, MCU, and a few assorted components) is not that great if you really want to get into making boards yourself. You have full schematics...

FWIW, I am very grateful when Paul is willing to review a board but at $8 a boot loader chip does it makes business sense for him to do so unless the board has a problem and the buyer has exhausted his/her capabilities copying the schematics, running suggested error checks, and so on?

I've talked to our over-worked legal department about this from my end and can't do it yet. Thus, all I feel comfortable releasing are simple things like these chip and board libraries. If I get an ok, I can add sample board designs.

That said, the file that app fruits posted is so close to a teensy 3.2 design that making required changes should be relatively trivial. Besides, the complexity of the teensy basics (i.e. Boot loader, MCU, and a few assorted components) is not that great if you really want to get into making boards yourself. You have full schematics...

FWIW, I am very grateful when Paul is willing to review a board but at $8 a boot loader chip does it makes business sense for him to do so unless the board has a problem and the buyer has exhausted his/her capabilities copying the schematics, running suggested error checks, and so on?

I take your point. The issue is that it costs quite a heap when assembly fails due to issues with the board design.

The engineer that designed the board had years of experience and the assembled board did not work. Hence why I am being cautious.

About having Paul review our board design, I know he is very busy. Still wonder how he has time to reply here.

I can pay for his service if required. Its more important we get it right. Then we can take it from there.

It's a very elegant board. I really like how he demonstrated all the connections and is using the bigger boot loader chip, a larger voltage regulator, etc. Makes soldering by hand easier though soldering a 0.5mm pitch MCU like the MK20DX256 is not for the faint of heart.

Next stop, teensy 3.2 "big boy" edition boards by Osh park!

I also needed a way to verify the bigger chip really works before we started selling them.... so this ref board was made!

Slap some headers on it and call it the Teensy_Nought - make it double row headers and a debug port ... and SD and Flash

I've updated the web page with info about the plans for the debug request signal. This update will be coming in early 2016. If you design a PCB now, hopefully this will let you plan for supporting a debug port.

@Paul: Are you planing to release the Eagle Files as a reference for people having problems making their own DIY board?

I don't use Eagle.

But if anyone wants to redraw the reference board in Eagle, I'd be happy to help with high res images and reviewing the work. I'll even pay for OSH Park to fab them. In fact, I'd even have Erin hand solder one and we'll test it here, and the assembled board and 2 other bare boards send to whoever wants to do make this happen in Eagle.

But I'm not personally going to touch Eagle....

Anyone wanna volunteer to do this? (same applies for Kicad)

One problem with Eagle: the "free" / light edition is limited to 2 signal layers. The reference board from oshpark has 4 layers.

Is this design open source or creative commons, ok for commercial use? Forgive me if the info's there... I don't use Eagle, so I really only looked at the non-Eagle files.

I built up one of these from Paul's OSHpark files. So far so good, blink works and DAC output works. Time to explore this more. Thanks HWguy also for the Eagle files...I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting 3v3 from USB and it was the solder jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back