Oled display

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

i search an oled display between 1 to 3 inch who use less then 6v when the screen is open.

i see a lot of screen who use 12v and is too hight.

thanks

adafruit has some nice OLED modules, about 1.5" across, 128 x 128 pixels.

What do you mean by "less than 6v when the screen is open"?

The supply voltage is not "consumed". In electronics, when we say "consumption", we usually refer to the current.

Did you have a look at the display? The specs include a voltage requirement, and drivers are also available.

Almost all Oled I know works only at 3V3 and since no Backlight will consume some mA, if you want consume even less you will go for E-Paper but they are B&W and slow.

ok thanks

when we will have finish our design, we will post some schema to check if we can do some energy saving somewhere.

What are your requirements on power consumption? If you give us some schematics before your design fails to meet them, you might not have to redesign it.

real answer is less we can do.

we are not expert in electronic.

we want to log and display some information when we dive.

so actually we want to use for the first step

Teensy++2.0
OLED Breakout Board - 16-bit Color 1.5" w/microSD holder.
MS5803-05BA pressure sensor
Parallax 5V LDO Voltage Regulator
BOB-12009 Logic Level Converter Bi-Directional
LM2937ET 3.3 regulator

and try to optimize for second step

i saw some diving computer who use cr2032 battery but it don't use oled screen.

i don't know if that could be possible to use only 9v battery or 2 aa battery?
don't think that could run only on a cr2032 battery.

So basically it's going to be a depth display?

Do you need graphics or would a text-only display work as well? Go for a simple text LCD with a backlight you can switch on for viewing it.
If graphics, does it have to RGB or would monochrome be enough? Go for a simple graphics LCD, and also only switch on the backlight when you want to read it.

You can always use a step-up converter if your power supply voltage is lower than what the components need. Pololu has tiny modules that can generate 5V from a single AA battery: http://www.pololu.com/category/132/step-up-voltage-regulators

ya a depth display for the begining

more a text only display

we have choose a oled screen because it's supposing to take less energy and be more visible.

rgb support would be a big +, some color could be used to display urgent thing...

we will check step up converter

I like the dig-ole displays, and the OLED displays all work with 3.3v or 5v. The ones I have are:

There is also a bigger 160x128 1.8" color Oled display, that I don't own: http://www.digole.com/index.php?productID=859.

The nice thing about the dig-ole displays is you don't need to keep a copy of the bitmap in memory, it has a processor that you send it serial, i2c, or spi commands to draw the screen. For the Teensy 3.x, it isn't as much of an issue, but if you use low memory AVR processors, the screen memory can consume most of your available memory. At the moment, I hook it up to Serial1, but I likely will move it to i2c shortly. I did need to edit their source slightly to get it to work with the Teensy.

The 128x64 black & white and 96x64 color oled dig-oles have four font sizes installed:
  • Font size 6, 32 columns, 10 rows for black & white, 24 columns, 10 rows for color;
  • Font size 10, 21 columns, 7 rows for black & white, 16 columns, 7 rows for color;
  • Font size 18, 14 coumns, 4 rows for black & white, 10 columns, 4 rows for color;
  • Font size 51, 8 columns, 2 rows for black & white, 6 columns, 2 rows for color.

In addition to text, you can draw circles, boxes, lines, and single pixels. You can also draw images from in memory bitmaps, and copy areas of the screen.

BTW, one of the reasons I got the new 96x64 color oleds, is the display will fit inside of a 16 LED neopixel ring, and I wanted to experiment with using the LCD to draw eyes.

Last edited:
i forgot to say i try to find a scree who are compatible with
https://code.google.com/p/u8glib/

that seem a lot easier to use this lib to display stock on screen

we need to keep time also, teensy 2 don't have rtc, but we can simulate with the cpu.
don't know if only the rtc can consume less

Last edited:
u8glib also supports the SSD1351, which should be the controller for the display you have (1.5", 128x128, with microSD holder). I've used exactly that combo, and it worked well.

what oled less then 2" use 3.3V?

i saw more who use 5V

Lets see, I've bought OLED displays from digole and the tindie seller miker and used them on my Teensy 3.x. And since Adafruit wrote the library most people use, I assume their OLED displays also works well:

Last edited:
The pololu step-up/step-down, step-up, and step-down regulators generally have good reputations: http://www.pololu.com/category/84/regulators-and-power-supplies. If your power is variable (such as battery packs with 4 AA batteries that start out at 6v and goes below 5v as the batteries capacity diminishes), the step-up/step-down regulators are helpful.

Adafruit recently released a step-up 5v regulator called powerboost: https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=powerboost&b=1. I bought one, but I may have mis-soldered it (common for me), as mine doesn't seem to work.

Of course, the Teensy 3.x has its own regulator that produces 3.3v from 3.7-5.5v , if you don't need a massive amount of power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back