wanted: 3.5's already pinned

Status
Not open for further replies.

skypuppy

I didn't see a Marketplace Category so I post here in General.

Know where I can get a couple of 3.5's already pinned and soldered? Be nice to have the DIP socket as well with each. Any idea on cost?

I'd like to play with that audio board, too. :)

Been playing with Visuino and Uno's and Mega's, mostly with the 9250 IMU's.

Thanks.

Great. The 3.5's have arrived and I'm just now getting to them. I followed the "instructions" on how to get the Arduino "compiler" to send to the 3.5. However, the instructions drop off at a critical point. I loaded the little application and it's running. The 3.5 is now running fast_flash3.5. However, the 3.5 still doesn't show up in Device Manager (Win7) or in the Arduino "compiler". What do i do now, please, or is there somewhere in the forum that I need to address this? I am stuck at the front door.

Thanks,
Skypuppy

Arduino 1.8.4, and teensysomething 1.4.0. What's Teensyduino? I see references to it on youtube videos but not in the install instructions on this web site.

Last edited:
To be fair, the website is large and it's not always easy to find stuff. I dream of someday dedicating time to redesigning the website and actually doing usability testing, but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Starting with Teensyduino 1.42, the Tools > Ports menu was redesigned to be able to show you Teensy even when it's not running in a USB Serial mode.

If you have 1.40, I highly recommend you download the latest. Arduino 1.8.4 is no longer supported, so get Arduino 1.8.7 too from Arduino's website (the EXE or ZIP, but not the Windows Store version). The good news is Arduino 1.8.7 compiles faster, so the effort to update to the latest software really is worthwhile.

To be fair, the website is large and it's not always easy to find stuff. I dream of someday dedicating time to redesigning the website and actually doing usability testing, but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Starting with Teensyduino 1.42, the Tools > Ports menu was redesigned to be able to show you Teensy even when it's not running in a USB Serial mode.

If you have 1.40, I highly recommend you download the latest. Arduino 1.8.4 is no longer supported, so get Arduino 1.8.7 too from Arduino's website (the EXE or ZIP, but not the Windows Store version). The good news is Arduino 1.8.7 compiles faster, so the effort to update to the latest software really is worthwhile.

Thanks very much, Paul. I use Visuino (graphical programming for the Arduino families) and they haven't said they're compatible with 1.8.7 yet. And the 1.40 came off the website just a few hours ago. :) I will look for Teensyduino, though. I'm a RAW noob in the teensy world.

Skypuppy

P.S. Since I am a noob, maybe I could traverse your site branches and provide feedback. In private, preferably. Programmer since 1977 but never touched web stuff (by choice.) :)

I use Visuino

Ah, well that's a key piece of info! For support with Visuino, you really need to ask on Visuino's group.

https://plus.google.com/communities/116125623808250792822

... or contact Boian Mitov. He seems to be *very* active on social media sites when it comes to anything about Visuino. ;)

The reality of support on this forum is we focus on use of the Arduino IDE, and to some degree very similar systems like Visual Micro or Eclipse with Jan's plugin. But even with those, when something doesn't work, ultimately the question is "have to tried it in Arduino".

Visuino is a very different system. I have personally never used it. I use Linux and occasionally Mac, and as far as I can tell Visuino is still Windows only. I can't help with any Visuino support.

Doing that at this very moment, since teensyduino won't even ALLOW loading with anything but 1.8.7, apparently.

Is there any way to turn off the absolute requirement for 1.8.7, or is the necessity deep in the code?

I've used Visuino on a couple of neat Arduino Mega projects and when I heard Teensy was supported, I jumped on it and got a couple of 3.5's. :) Was not expecting code sons not allowing code fathers and grandfathers (subsequent revs.)

Teensyduino 1.44 supports 6 different versions of Arduino: 1.0.6, 1.6.5-r5, 1.8.1, 1.8.5, 1.8.6, 1.8.7.

The list of supported versions is shown on the website just below the download links, and also on the first page of the installer. Many people do not read these locations... but the info is pretty clearly documented.

1.8.5, 1.8.6, 1.8.7 cover the last year of Arduino releases. 1.8.5 was released on Sept 29, 2017.

The checking for specific versions absolutely is a requirement, because the installer makes deep modifications to the Arduino IDE.

Actually, the Visuino web site lists only older Teensys up to 3.2, but not 3.5 or 3.6 as compatible.There is perhaps more work to do for them to catch up.
What about writing C/C++ code yourself, using the Arduino IDE in the meantime? I mean, visual programming might be a nice toy for children or a crutch for the very first steps of a coding beginner, but you‘ll be grown up some day and want be in better control of your code and fine tune and optimize things, but this will only be possible by climbing a learning curve.

Thank you again, There, but I'm not rising to that bait. I've only been doing code since 1977. Any tool that I can use that saves gobs of time, I will use. I have Q's about embedding C/C++ code inside Arduino code that I have no answers for. Like 1.) How does the Arduino "compiler" compile that code? Does it call the outside compilers? Does it make linkable modules to create the final executable? I assumed the Arduino "compiler" was monolithic. Without these answers, whatever I wrote could be badly engineered indeed.

A look onto the verbose output of the compiler/linker which you get for free in the Arduino IDE’s status window during the build process will give you positive answers to your questions ;-)
At the beginning, I also mistrusted the gcc compiler until I looked at the assembly and found that it was better optimizing the code as I could have done by hand...

Apologize for the OT diversion.

Have been supporting LabView stuff at various sites for over 25 years; and did one or more (will never admit in public) production ATE systems for the factory floor using LV. But never by choice. Simple greed and avarice bent me to the client's wishes. And other than greed or avarice, will never use 'visual' programming tools.

The choice of visual stuff is not graphical vs textual. It is data-flow vs imperative. Data-flow can, in some cases, be a happy thing where you need to model concurrency. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dataflow_programming. But data-flow tends to break down for dubugging and code maintenance.

I respect the hard work and sometimes ingenuous engineering required to make visual dev tools. But 25 years of experience tells me to never go down the rabbit hole unless someone is padding the subsequent misadventures with a goodly amount of money.

That said, you should know that I am a cranky old engineer that will not willingly use the arduino environment. You can have my SCons scripts when you pry my cold dead hands from the keyboard. And my techs and fellow engineers are very much grateful for the non-visual and non-ardy tool chains that are set up for each project.

The moral of the story - use the visual stuff if you enjoy it and understand the limitations. But please allow us normal people (ask the Klingon warrior standing next to me if you do not believe my claim to normalcy), to watch with varying degrees of disbelief.

OT Diversion: This particular environment saves gobs and gobs of development time. So if you're paid by the hour or by the job, you choose your path. Even in Visuino, there is a great deal of detail for each device in you sketch that must be setup properly, so it is never "draw and go."

Update: after discussion with the Visuino developer, Teensy 3.5 and 3.6 indeed are supported! Yay. All the modules were programmed by him, so arduino.cc is only called to do the compiles.

Just for scientific curiosity, I had a look on the Visuino website, thinking I could give this a try. But it doesn’t seem to be a mature tool and rather targeted to amateurs and hobbyists since the only available download is a Windows version. I’ll continue working in Eclipse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back