Teensy 3.6 - I2S Audio on a Breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geomancer

Simple question: Is trying to use I2S audio on a breadboard a lost cause?

I just tried it out using an I2S chip I have from Digilent (they make FPGA and Pic32 dev boards) on a broadboard and was having a heck of a time trying to get it to work with the example code for playing a WAV off an SD card. My logic analyzer was showing all kinds of crap. I could see the MCLK and BCLK, but with glitches, and the LRCLK was most certainly not a good clock.

Took everything off the breadboard and just used jumper wires directly dangling into space while I held it and ... it worked perfectly.

So, either the breadboard I have is crappy, or there is just no hope with the kind of crosstalk you'd see. Is it worth trying to find better breadboards, or should I use a protoboard? I don't really want to move onto a protoboard yet due to how difficult that makes changing things ... humm, maybe I could do wirewrap ... but it is what it is so that may be the only choice.

Many people have made Teensy and the audio shield work together on a breadboard with ~4 inch lengths of wire between them. Not ideal, but it usually works.

Simple question: Is trying to use I2S audio on a breadboard a lost cause?
Simple answer: It depends
I use I2S mics continuously on breadboard.
Yes, crosstalk CAN be an issue, Flying wires of MCLK or BCLK (in MHz range, i.e. good RF.signal) in parallel to data line calls for problems.

Moved it over to a breadboard I used throughout college and know to be good. Worked liked a charm. Did some investigation of this new one I haven't used before and discovered the power rails don't extend the whole length of the board, only halfway. Doh!

Put some jumpers in, moved it all back, and works great now. Amazing what power can do ^_^

Thanks for your replies!

YXr4Wyi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back