Updated Teensy 3.1 and Teensy 3.0 Eagle libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantin

Updated Teensy 3.x and LC Eagle libraries

Good morning, everyone.

I went ahead and created a couple of updated Eagle libraries for the Teensy 3.x and LC series of boards. Each one has a couple of variants to reflect likely use patterns, including
  • All pins
  • All pins and pads
  • DIL (just a DIL package)
  • DIL + 4 (DIL package with AREF, A10, A11, and VUSB enabled)
  • Outer row (only external row of pins)

This package can be found here:View attachment Teensy_3_and_LC_Series_Boards_v1.4.zip

For those that want to roll their own Teensy, I have also attached a library with the required bootloader and MCU chips. I would consider the MKL04 variant of the current bootloader to be preliminary because I have yet to try it out. Please review my pin assignments and see if I may have messed something up!

Cheers everyone.

Last edited:
thanks!
I'm working on a shield.... or perhaps a better name would be a sandcrawler because it mounts to the bottom.

Constantin, how do you propose that that we connect to A12, GND, 24-33, 3v, A13... I see you have pads/holes on the PCB layout, but how do we connection those to the Teensy?

I am imagining something like this.. http://www.adafruit.com/product/394

Or am I being totally stupid and there is a better way.

Thanks, Ben

I've just realised it looks like a layout for a 14-pin SMC connector.

Does anyone have an part numbers (for a plug and socket) that will work with using normal headers around the other pins.

I'm assuming pogo pins would work for D+, D-, Reset etc.

Thanks, Ben

You can use any right angle, 14 position smd header with 0.1" spacing (row and pin to pin). I just did a quick lookup on digikey and found this one.

Another forum member figured out how to access these SMD pads by creating a double row header where the outer row uses straight pins (which go through the pre existing teensy holes) and the inner row has the usual straight pins replaced with right-angle ones. The right angle pins reach in far enough to make contact with the SMD pads.

Last edited:
Wonderful, thanks. I'll be using the SOIC 14-pin header approach.

Which will work nicely your eagle layout.

Nice work btw. Cheers, Ben

Good morning, everyone.

I went ahead and created a couple of updated Eagle libraries for the Teensy 3 series. I have added four Teensy 3.1 configurations to the Eagle board library, including
  • Teensy 3.1 Basic (only external row of pins)
  • Teensy 3.1 with all pins
  • Teensy 3.1 with all pins and pads
  • Teensy 3.1 with all pins and pads minus Vin (I like to remove VIN because my boards produce the 3.3V for the Teensy board)

Additionally, I have produced a preliminary Eagle library for the MK20DX256VLH7 chip on the Teensy 3.1 for those that want to roll their own Teensy 3.1 using the Mini54 chip for sale in the PJRC store... It should work, assuming that none of the underlying Teensyduino pin mappings have changed other than Pin 18 becoming A14/DAC. Once Paul releases a Teensy 3.1 schematic, I will be able to confirm that - but it seems logical. The two MCUs on the Teensy 3.0 and 3.1 have all the same physical port/pin mappings, except for pin 18 gaining a DAC0 output on the '256 version of the chip.

View attachment 1176

So, a couple of caveats apply before blindly jumping into production:
  1. For those of you that want to roll your own Teensy 3.1, I would wait for Paul to confirm the pin mappings on the chips are the same (other than pin 18).
  2. Along the same lines, while the footprints for the Mini54 should work, they have not yet been confirmed (potatotron to the rescue!)
  3. The board libraries should just work because they are so similar to the 3.0 versions they are based on.
  4. It would be wonderful if someone could double-check my work.

Cheers everyone.

Thanks for sharing the libs, any chance of adding the reset pin for the Teensy 3.1?

Regards,

Les

Not sure how I can do that on the 3.1.

The reset pin is now nothing more than a test point on the underside of the Teensy 3.1.

Not sure how I can do that on the 3.1.

The reset pin is now nothing more than a test point on the underside of the Teensy 3.1.

Can you maybe just add a circle on the dimension layer (It doesn't need to be in the schematic). It's just so that I can get a pogo pin pad in the correct place on the PCB I am designing. (The Teensy 3.1 I have here at the moment, I can't get at, to try and measure it)

Regards,

Les

EDIT: It looks from the picture, that it's in line with the side GND pin and pins 22/A10, if so I can line it up manually.

Last edited:
Hello Constantin

Thanks for the Eagle file.

There is a little error in the symbol of Teensy 3.1/3.2 DIL

Pin 14 is A0, not A1 (which exists twice)

By the way: You have defined the 3,3V pin of the Teensy 3.2 as an PWR pin.
This is correct, but produces a problem if you have two Teensy's on teh same board.
Because Eagle automatically connects the both 3.3V pins of boths Teensy's in the board editor.
There is not way to turn this off.
So I had to edit your library and change that to an output pin.

The same applies to AGND and VIN which Eagle automatically connects of all existing Teensy's on a board.

It would be a good idea to only declare GND as a PWR pin and the others as Output.

Last edited:
Hello Constantin

Thanks for the Eagle file.

There is a little error in the symbol of Teensy 3.1/3.2 DIL

Pin 14 is A0, not A1 (which exists twice)

By the way: You have defined the 3,3V pin of the Teensy 3.2 as an PWR pin.
This is correct, but produces a problem if you have two Teensy's on the same board.
Because Eagle automatically connects the both 3.3V pins of boths Teensy's in the board editor.
There is not way to turn this off.
So I had to edit your library and change that to an output pin.

The same applies to AGND and VIN which Eagle automatically connects of all existing Teensy's on a board.

It would be a good idea to only declare GND as a PWR pin and the others as Output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back