Bat detector

Hi,

You want to know the number of people that have built and used this detector based on the Teensy ? If you read the forum you can see those that have actively participated thusfar, thats less than 10 people I think at the moment. But I dont know if there are many people trying to build but not sharing the results. But I guess you want to know if it works ? It does !!!

regards
Cor

Hi,
Thanks corbee for your last code version. I can not compile it, but I can download the hex file. I really appreciate the TE low value définition : we can exclude mic noise,audio earable noise and songs from crickets.
I wil work on a short manual : I build 2 receivers , one for a newbbee friend.
Regards

storing in EEPROM

Hi Corbee,
Your explanation seems to be clear, but I 'm not able to save the parameters : I miss sometihings, they are not stored.
during startup EEPROM is always 0000h

Rémis

Hi Remi,

Good to hear. Did you try the EEprom saving feature allready ?

regards
Cor

Hi,

Thats odd. The startup EEprom shows 0000h at startup indeed as that is the version of the EEprom parametersset that is getting saved. That will change only because of adding a new parameter to the set of variables we save in EEProm. Otherwise the loading of data from the EEprom does not know what to expect. So currently it should always show 0000h

The procedure to save your current settings to EEprom once more:
1) make sure you ahve set the parameters you want to save to the appropriate setting, for instance TE_low=25 (khz).
2) Go in the menu to PRESET, select the menu by pressing the encoderbutton after which the menu text becomes white.
3) Now set it to either DEFAULT or USER or leave it as it is.
4) Press the encoder button again, the text should become yellow (so this menu is not active anymore) and the settings have been saved. Be aware that if you do this with PRESET DEFAULT as the selection the next startup will be using the programmed variable settings
5) The settings will become effective as soon as you reset your device (power on/off).

regards
Cor

Last edited:
Hi,

You want to know the number of people that have built and used this detector based on the Teensy ? If you read the forum you can see those that have actively participated thusfar, thats less than 10 people I think at the moment. But I dont know if there are many people trying to build but not sharing the results. But I guess you want to know if it works ? It does !!!

regards
Cor

Hi. Well I use it for one. I am running software v0.88 and recording to a Sandisk 2Gb microSD. Its performing very well, sensitivity is good and the regular development is a big plus. We have Long Eared bats, Pipestrelle bats and occasional Noctule Bats in the area I survey. Thanks Corbee, Edwin et al and keep up the good work.

Hi. Well I use it for one. I am running software v0.88 and recording to a Sandisk 2Gb microSD. Its performing very well, sensitivity is good and the regular development is a big plus. We have Long Eared bats, Pipestrelle bats and occasional Noctule Bats in the area I survey. Thanks Corbee, Edwin et al and keep up the good work.

Hi seriesman,

Thanks for the info, its always good to know that people are using it. If you have specific requests/ideas/problems ... dont forget to share/bug us with those too ;)

Cor

Cool work on the bat detetion!

Hi Paul,

Can we remove his message if this is the case ?

Cor

Clicking the 'Triangle with !' icon under 'Post: ##' - under that post - will allow any post to be hidden and flagged for SPAM check deletion/banning/IP blocking. When prompted for reason enter 'SPAMMER' and proceed and it will hide the message.

how to strore parameters

I'm sorry I need to detail .I miss something. Please insert correction.
Regards
Rémis

PowerON

Turn RotaryLeft until TE_low
PressRL : T_Low switch from yellow to white
Turn RL : Topdisplay show chnage value Tl19
Press RL : T_low switch from white to yellow

Turn RL until Press_Default.
Press RL : switch from yellow to white
Press RL ; switch from white to yellow

OFF
ON
Turn RL until TE_Low : topof screen show Tl15 not TL19

Hi,

When you turn RL until PRESS_DEFAULT you are setting the system to always start using the DEFAULTS (programmed), you need to turn RL to PRESS_USER and then Press RL to go from white back to yellow.

So turn the RL until PRESS_DEFAULT appears, then press RL to get into the menu. Then turn RL to change to PRESS_USER and finally press RL to go out of that menusetting and save to EEprom

BTW: if anybody has a better idea for a stepbystep procedure to save to EEprom and allow the user to choose to start with DEFAULT (programmed ) or USER (eeprom) settings, please tell.

Last edited:
yes it works with :

Turn RL until Press_Default.
Press RL : switch from yellow to white
Turn RL to select Press_User
Press RL ; switch from white to yellow

dont change param ; keep defaut to 10? others doesnt work?

Hi,

Good to hear you could save !

I suggest not changing param currently, its an experimental setting I am working on and this allows me to try different settings. Param currently is used to set the minimum time in milliseconds (after multiplying with 10) to pickup a new pulse in AUTO_TE. If you make this too short (you can set it to 1, which is 10ms) the sound will be choppy. If you set it high (currently 35 (350ms) you will start missing pulses coming in and have more pause in between,

But I suggest not to play with this, when I have found out what a good setting is for the minimum-time between pulses I will hardcode that and param will probably be used for another thing I am testing.

Cor

Hi

https://github.com/CorBer/teensy_batdetector contains both the hex and the source voor v0.89. No major changes

-eeprom version 0001
-indicator for low-high detectionrange in graph for AUTO_TE
-menu updated and more uniform (all choosen values shown in white next to menusetting also for TE_LOW/TE_SPD)
-added counter to keep track of EEprom saving (still reset to 0 for each EEprom version)
-added text to display after pressing PRESET USER to save to EEprom

IMG_20190729_213010033_BURST000_COVER_TOP_resize_45.jpg

Struggling here with the opamp version board, somehow I seem to have the spurious signal that was described and all of it's harmonics now that I am amplifying with a tl972. ( The one on the right.)

It does not realy make a difference which one of the two MEMS I use.

I did however manage to get rid of most of the display update sounds. Strange enoug most noise was gone after I removed the 100nF decoupling capacitors.

I'm now waiting for the bats to start flying, of Just heared the first.

Sofar I do seem to like the transistor amplifier better.
This opamp still needs some improvements.

Hello

Don't mix the issues. Did you have any osciloscope? I suggest you to check your Dc bias around TRamplifier without any signal, without AOP. like in message #317
HArmonics could also be the result of both amplifier association, and not from only AOP amplifier : improve gain could saturate the second amplier.
Osciloscope in high impedance mode is your friend.

The spurious that I described will be suppressed in differential mode with AOP. See my previous message. But I Don't have time to build one before September...

Regards

Hi Remis,

I do have an oscilloscope. A cheap one but I should be able to see some signals I guess. Although these seem quite tiny and my oscilloscope might not be the best choice.

I have no electronics education so please correct me if I a doing anything stupid here.

In most amplifiers i see a large value resistor attached to 1/2V If I do that I also see a strong signal near 23Khz. Would it not be better to use a value that just about matches the output impedance of the microphone element here? (250 ohms single ended output +)

Maybe I should better just be concentrating on building the differential amp.

teensybatopamp.jpg

Kind regards,

Edwin

If VCC/2 is perfect : low impedance point DC value but no AC signal . Two solutions:
_reduce R6, R5 to small impedance, comparred to R2 and increas C6. Ok but this solution will increase the DC supply current into R5, R6 : thus on 3V3. : bad idea
_simply connect R2 to IC1B ouput : voltage = VCC/D and Dc current = AOP power suppply this is the best: voltage follower designed for this

R2 is the impedance seen by Mic ouput. In our use case it is not mandatory to use the same impedance : change to 10K :
Check that without mic , you don"t have any spurious on VVC/2 : you can add ceramique capacitor // 10µF chimique capacitor on IC1B pin7 ; chech TFT spectrum

lowering R4 to about 4.7k : start with lower gain

for test purpose , increase C3 to few µF : spurious frequency could chnage if it is comming from AOP oscillation. Don"t change if comminf from Mic

Rem

Short Manual and explanations

I plan to offer one box to a friend*: Thus I need a short manual. Please use doc 2003 win version or same in Libre office under Linux:easier to modify for every body if you want to add your information, correction

It is not easy to summarize all the functionality : big work around software. I have many questions: some answer are in this thread..where…

TE_mode ( need more explanations)
Denoise, Spectrum, Play vs Play R
I try to record and play file in PASS mode. Could you explain why voice is no more understandable when I read it. Where is TE introduced?

May bee there are too much to answer for a first time...

Attachments

• BatDetectorShortMAnual0.1.doc.zip
    136.8 KB · Views: 87
So here we are again, using the opamp amplifier, and ICS microphone in single output mode.

I did change the biasing resistor to match the impedance of the microphone, this helped to get rid of the unwanted signal on about 23Khz and its harmonics.

I also lowered the amplification a little because there was a bit too much noise from the display update data.

The images here show the old transistor amplifier at the top and a new board with opamp at the bottom. (the old and new device recording next to each other.

The bottom spectrogram images seem to be less signal and less noise but also a lot less harmonics. The funny thing is it does seem to pick up the signals sooner than the louder looking transitor amplifier.

The operational amplifier is made to not amplify low frequency sounds, amplify 20Khz signals only around 5db but around 100Khz it should amplify by about 15dB

first and last recording were with gain at 50, the middle recording was a little closer to the bats, I recorded at a gain of 30.

comparison tr top.jpg

comparison2 tr top.jpg

comparison3 tr top.jpg

micampnow.jpg

Kind regards,

Edwin

I plan to offer one box to a friend*: Thus I need a short manual. Please use doc 2003 win version or same in Libre office under Linux:easier to modify for every body if you want to add your information, correction

It is not easy to summarize all the functionality : big work around software. I have many questions: some answer are in this thread..where…

TE_mode ( need more explanations)
Denoise, Spectrum, Play vs Play R
I try to record and play file in PASS mode. Could you explain why voice is no more understandable when I read it. Where is TE introduced?

May bee there are too much to answer for a first time...

Hi Remi,

When do you want to have the manual ready ? I am willing to help you on this and a manual is in many project the thing that gets little attention so this is a good moment/reason to make an initial manual.

regards
Cor

Last edited:
Hi Corbee, I don't have any date for the manual. Your are spending a lot of time on software. I can work on this document. I just need more information. You can read first draft manual in #371, if you have time. Answer could be a simple sentence here , I will update this short Manual.
One time again : no mandatory deadline.
Regards

OK, I will try documenting the basic functionality this week. I will create a DOC with some screenshots and will use your initial DOC as the startingpoint. After we all agree that the basic functionality is OK it can be added to GitHub also to make it available in general.

And the work on the software is currently not very demanding as its a lot of cosmetics mainly,

regards
Cor

Back