Teensy 3.6 USB High Speed status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwideman

Hi all,

Could somebody tell the current status of the/a High Speed USB driver for Teensy 3.6? I.e.: for device mode on the installed micro-USB connector.

Thanks -- Graham

see is a search on USB HOST is what is desired ....

Do you have a specific thread in mind? Note that I'm asking about device mode, not host mode. That is, Teensy as slave to PC (like it "normally" is), not Teensy hosting other devices.

My bad - I read that as looking to connect with the T_3.6 secondary USB.

The T_3.6 primary USB to 'PC' works like all the others to support the many interfaces shown on the tools menu through the standard supported 12 MBit/s hardware interface -if not documented on PJRC.com it should be here in the Forum. Please give details of which interface is to be used and what isn't clear.

If the 2nd T_3.6 port is the one at hand - I've only seen host mode interfaces so far.

My bad - I read that as looking to connect with the T_3.6 secondary USB.

The T_3.6 primary USB to 'PC' works like all the others to support the many interfaces shown on the tools menu through the standard supported 12 MBit/s hardware interface -if not documented on PJRC.com it should be here in the Forum. Please give details of which interface is to be used and what isn't clear.

If the 2nd T_3.6 port is the one at hand - I've only seen host mode interfaces so far.

Yeah, I know all that. Like I said in the original post, I'm looking for the HIGH SPEED feature (480 Mb/s) that Teensy 3.6 has the hardware for, not the 12 Mb/s. I'm interested in the Serial over USB interface, but if the driver(s) support HS, then I'd guess all the interfaces would be capable of that speed too.

... what Paul said (and I said in p#2) - but OP on second reading says: "installed micro-USB connector" - which can only refer to the 'installed micro-USB connector' at 12 Mb/s

Yep I'm asking about prospects of the plain ol' installed USB connector running at High Speed 480 Mb/s when talking to PC (or other computer) host.

The USB0 port (the one with the micro-B connector) is only 12 Mbit/sec on Teensy 3.6. Only USB1 can do 480 Mbit/sec. Just to be perfectly clear, there is zero prospect of UBO0 ever running at 480 Mbit/sec. The hardware simply can't do it. No amount of software work can change the hardware!

Future Teensy (2018 or 2019) may have this, but for now all Teensy 3.x have only 12 Mbit/sec USB on their main port.

The USB0 port (the one with the micro-B connector) is only 12 Mbit/sec on Teensy 3.6. Only USB1 can do 480 Mbit/sec. ...

OK, thanks Paul for clearing that up definitively. I guess I was misled by reading about the 480 Mb/s somewhere, for example in the quickstarter page:

"USB High Speed (480 Mbit/sec) Port"

... which I guess is not wrong per se... it's just not the port with the connector already installed. I suppose for my purpose USB1 would serve just as well, so long as it could operate in device mode, but you already answered that that isn't available, and sounds like not likely to happen soon.

That's too bad, as it could have considerably helped the data collection scenario I am pursuing. But, with all the goodness that is Teensy, and the effort I know that takes to develop, I guess we can't have everything!

It would help a lot if more people help and contribute. All libs and the core are open source. But only very few people help to extend them or make them better or just fix bugs..

Even just running the latest unstable dev code within days of posting on github and writing detailed messages about what did and didn't work is tremendously helpful.

Just in the last couple weeks quite a lot of happened on the host code. I far as I know, Kurt and I are probably the only 2 people in the world who's actually run it so far.

It would help a lot if more people help and contribute. All libs and the core are open source. But only very few people help to extend them or make them better or just fix bugs..

Yes, as I have done here:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23566-Teensyduino-USB-Joystick-no-data-driver-problem-workaround
and here:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/46208-Bug-in-delayMicroseconds-25-too-short-for-const-delay-lt-64us

... small contributions I know, but focused and get to the bottom of an issue, not just report a problem. So I do get the spirit of the thing.

I have taken a look at USB code in the past, and even have Jan Axelson's book (two editions!), which convinces me I'm not up to making a meaningful contribution in that area, even if I had the time. Right now what I could use (and test) is High Speed device mode, so I'm not realistically in a position to even test host mode with the needed ingenuity.

From Paul:
> Hopefully it's easy to understand how focusing on getting 1 mode working well makes sense before taking on the other.

Certainly! Honestly, I don't know how you accomplish as much as you do on the technical side and run a business! The time is only one factor -- achieving the necessary focus is a tremendous achievement.

Have you used the new HID parser stuff?
As much I want - at the moment, I have other priorities. In this special case, I'm only interested to use it;-) - for Joysticks, or, someday, usb-memory - I don't want to dig into this USB stuff.
Have you tried qix' VGA ? If you ask me, it should be part of the included teensy-libs some day. It gives you a fast large display with a few resistors with 0% cpu usage.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind diving into high speed device mode. What are the best resources to start? Eg. Favourite USB resources.

I want to be able to do something like this:
https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=25854&p=143049#p143049
(USB data to SPI) but for high speed. I already have custom hardware to do this, but it’d be nice and a lot easier to do this with a Teensy.

Last edited:
Is there any update regarding high speed USB device mode? I'm interested in transmitting ADC data at high sampling rate from several Teensys via a USB hub.

Paul,
Are there any library additions to allow for simultaneous Keyboard and mouse use with a hub in the Teensy 3.6 HOST mode? Using many wireless KB/Mouse combo's work fine to get both going, but using a hub with a wired USB KB and a wired mouse doesn't want to work.

I'm not the programmer on this so I don't have any code to share at this time, I'm just an end user trying to understand why the wireless combo works and a hub won't.

Jim Sheldon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back