Teensyduino 1.29 Beta #1 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a first beta test for Teensyduino 1.29.

EDIT: beta test link removed.

Changes since Teensyduino 1.28:

• Add support for Arduino 1.6.9
  • Add support for running on Raspberry Pi (Linux ARM)
  • Drop support for Arduino 1.6.3 and 1.6.6
  • USB Keyboard improved media keys, now Windows compatible
  • USB Touchscreen (up to 10 fingers)
  • USB Audio
  • USB Mouse adds horizontal scroll
  • More combinations in Tools > USB Type
  • Serial1.setTX() adds open drain option
  • Libraries updated: Audio, FastCRC, FreqMeasureMulti, PS2Keyboard, SerialFlash

Any chance of including the version number in the .dmg file name ("TeensyduinoInstall-1.29.dmg")? With the pace of Arduino and corresponding Teensy software updates it's hard to keep up with what's what in my Downloads folder :-(.

I've given up on installing each single update. I forked the Teensy cores on github and "mirror" it via github desktop for Mac directly to the corresponding folder arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores. Then, a simple click on the "Update from PaulStoffregen/master" button will keep my installation up to date.

Last edited:
This version adds more stuff into boards.txt to enable the new USB types. Your Tools > USB Type menu probably won't update without the installer.

There's a known bug (actually several) where the auto reboot doesn't know of about of the new USB types. I'm going to fix that soon. That also won't update by just mirroring github.

Nothing changed in the java patches, other than updating for the new Arduino 1.6.9. But when/if more java patches are made, you'll also miss them this way.

This version adds more stuff into boards.txt to enable the new USB types. Your Tools > USB Type menu probably won't update without the installer.

Similar to Theremingenieur, I simply sync the GitHub core library from time to time (e.g. after seeing significant commits). I hardly use the installed Arduino/Teensyduino combo, only to run/test forum contributions, so I download only infrequently the installer.

However, it would help, if the revision description would have as 'headlines' the library (core, audio, etc) where the changes belong to.

I'm not using the Arduino IDE for development, but jantje's eclipseArduino (Eclipse with his Arduino plugin) because it allows me to work simultaneously on my main code, libraries and core files (rarely needed for editing, but often interesting to look things up) in different tabs.

Edit: the platform.txt issue which I described earlier here, is solved. Obviously, my old file was not overwritten with the first attempt of running the Teensyduino install. I trashed everything and did a fresh install of Arduino 1.6.9 and Teensyduino 1.2.9 beta, and now the eclipse Arduino plugin works from scratch without patching whatever files. Please accept my apologies for having waisted your precious time!

Last edited:
I'm making progress on the Linux ARM (Raspberry Pi) version. Got it fully running for the first time, just now.

2016-05-12-140847_1366x768_scrot.jpg

Hope to have a final installer built later today.

I've updated the first post with the Linux ARM download.

Here's a couple more screenshots with the Raspberry Pi background. :)

2016-05-12-223055_1366x768_scrot.jpg

2016-05-12-233326_1366x768_scrot.jpg

Paul: did you see my post about 'Build options changed, rebuilding all' - perhaps being caused by use of a sample from a read only library directory?

If my observation is correct for the general case, is there a way you can see to void that 'DIRTY sketch' file causing the rebuild all? Of course if you saw it to get it into 1.29 it would be Teensy only until the gods of Arduino adopted it.

Also - what Pi are you testing on? I have a Pi Zero . . .

Ahhh !!!.... I have a pi 2 B thingy for various tasks ... the new pi 3 B thingy is a quad core!!! and god knows what debian distro it supports now .... So when you say " linux arm" will it support the quadcore (before I go and buy one)

AFAIK - the Pi 3 is running a compatible version of the same Raspbian family to avoid such issues - so it should work. Doesn't take full advantage of the Pi CPU - but make all existing docs, etc work - so this EXE should run fine.

<edit> I just upgraded to Pi3:: Some (#81) Pi 3's left at SparkFun in their $90 kit for $78 for 5/13/16 - which means free shipping without padding the order - as long as you don't count the $38 for the 16GB microSD card w/OS, 5v 2.4A Power, USB cable, 20 leds, 4 buttons, 40 jumperwires, breadboard, Pi Wedge, 3.3v FTDI, Pi Tin, etc as padding.

Last edited:
I don't have a Pi 3. If anyone reports compatibility issues, I'll probably buy one for testing. But hoping that won't be necessary.

I tested on Pi 2, and did the building on a Pi 1.

I for sure don't want to take the role of the killjoy, does it make sense to develop Teensy software on a Raspberry Pi? Please forgive my ignorance, but where is the practical application field?

I for sure don't want to take the role of the killjoy, does it make sense to develop Teensy software on a Raspberry Pi? Please forgive my ignorance, but where is the practical application field?
For me, the usage is something like:
I am using an Odroid Xu4 (could be RPI) on a robot, and I am using a Teensy 3.2 to control the Dynamixel Servos, and maybe I choose to put the Teensy somewhere inside of the robot and I wish to update the program, without having to tear the robot apart.

So I connect to my robot using VNC, bring up the Arduino IDE, make the change and download the updated firmware...

does it make sense to develop Teensy software on a Raspberry Pi?

Compared to an Intel i7 with SSD, Raspberry Pi is so painfully slow. Then again, some people use netbooks that are in about the same league.

I do know Raspberry Pi support has been requested many times. Obviously the Arduino devs have heard similar requests, since they've recently gone to the trouble of porting code and setting up their build system. Knowing this was coming, I had previously ported Teensy Loader and most of the other stuff, which really wasn't very difficult, other than waiting for the Pi to slowly build code.

Really, my only objection to supporting Raspberry Pi has been the same as supporting the packages from any distro. Nearly all the distros barely maintain their Arduino packages, and they make a lot of little changes to file locations and other stuff, and they all release on a different schedule, none of them in sync with Arduino's releases. That's far too much work to support Linux. I've always supported only Arduino's official releases. Now that Arduino is officially releasing for Linux ARM, I will support it too.

I guess we'll know in time whether anyone really uses it. Maybe? If anyone reading this really is going to seriously use Raspberry Pi or some other Linux ARM system for dev work, I'm curious to hear?

For me, the usage is something like:
I am using an Odroid Xu4 (could be RPI) on a robot, and I am using a Teensy 3.2 to control the Dynamixel Servos, and maybe I choose to put the Teensy somewhere inside of the robot and I wish to update the program, without having to tear the robot apart.

So I connect to my robot using VNC, bring up the Arduino IDE, make the change and download the updated firmware...

I believe you can transfer the files compiled from a PC as well and load them using the teensy loader? would you really want to make a change and compile on the machine controlling the robot? or would you develop test and simulate perhaps and then transfer the desired file? is your 'source' control on the robot? Seems like compiling with the R Pi is a novelty or niche market for training, but for me transfer and download to the T3 would be the key features and I believe this is supported.

Have fun.

For me, compiling for Teensy on RPI sound like: yes it can be done if you really wanted to do it, and Arduino/Teensyduino can and has been ported.

A while ago I set up 2 of my windows machines with xming, and with a bit of futzing around on the rpi (xprotocol stuff), I had the rpi desktop on my windows machines! A variation on the vnc theme in #16... So I have a couple of windows laptops I can walk around with wirelessly connected to the rpi desktop which is soon to have teensyduino etc and be tethered to (or not tethered to) a teensy!!

So the quick answer is, for usage case, ITS FUN TO HAVE LOTS OF COMPUTERS!!!

I can easily see a case of the teensy and the rpi exchanging meaningful data, and having the ability to programme both 'together' would be 'gold' (maybe??)

@PaulStoffregen ... thankyou for your work on arm. It all installed very nicely on my rpi 2 model B. So far so good. Here is a screenshot of teensyduino on the rpi running over X to my Xming install on a windows 7 machine. Cool!

rpi2.jpg

edit: FYI the teensyduino installer file had permission set to 'executable by NO-ONE'

Last edited:
Arm install worked on Odroid C1. At least it installed and compiled code. I have not tried the download yet.

Also tried on Odroid C2 (arm64), arduino fails to load...

Also tried on Odroid C2 (arm64), arduino fails to load...

Does Arduino not work even before installing Teensyduino? Or does Teensyduino mess it up somehow?

Or does the Teensyduino installer even run at all?

(I don't have any Odroid boards for testing... not sure if it's worthwhile to get any....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back