K66 Beta Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
@defragster: Now that you have a microphone, and if you also have time, could you see if you have the same problems with the microphone that I reported in
msg #936 Re: microphone problem:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/34808-K66-Beta-est?p=110919&viewfull=1#post110919
and msg #955 about processor speeds:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/34808-K66-Beta-Test?p=110959&viewfull=1#post110959

Pete

Pete:
Finally sitting here ( fighting my intermittent web connect ) - pasted the first code example from #936 and indeed no sound from mic [at 240 or 96 MHz]. Why does the BuiltinLED flicker - is from i2s with the analog mic on the Audio board? My mic did work on the VoCoder sample?

MichealM had this post noticing seeming lack of analog changes - does the Audio card use the onboard DAC's or any related things for the mic to work>

if only the Audio board came with a Teensy like card - such details might be there.

Whatever happened with 'too large in flash' - for me it worked those few times - then I may have changed the code enough to shuffle stuff - almost like it wasn't clearing all the flash before uploading?

KurtE: (life and) internet too flakey to get to github for your serial # fix - what it seems you did is what I expected would be needed in my earlier note to Paul. Does that mean that EEPROM cannot be read or written in HSRUN? I thought that was how I RTFM. I made a sketch but haven't tried it recently.

Hi Kåre and Frank,

I sort of started off this board with the idea of exposing most every pin I can, with as simple of layout as possible.

any chance (assuming this is ok) you can share your diptrace part? i have a hard time trying to map the pins from my PROTO6 board to the final layout, ie the inner pins and and bottomside pads.

any chance (assuming this is ok) you can share your diptrace part? i have a hard time trying to map the pins from my PROTO6 board to the final layout, ie the inner pins and and bottomside pads.
Remember this is a WIP so absolutely nothing is guaranteed, and will probably change, like rearrange the order the pins are in on the component side.

A slight update to the 3d output:
T363D-Start.jpg

With a print showing the layout:
T3.6-Breakout-Board-Layout.jpg

Kurt

Attachments

• Teensy Diptrace library files.zip
    14.2 KB · Views: 195
KurtE: A couple of thoughts, feel free to ignore them:

• You might not want to put something behind the back of the Teensy 3.6/3.5 to allow the user to easily insert/remove micro sd cards;
  • I found in putting headers on my 3.6 that the program key is hard to get to. It might be useful to break out the program pin just like you did with the reset pin;
  • I don't know if it would be useful to change the 3x header rows to 4x. On the data pin side, it would be useful to bring out VIN (or possibly a separate power that defaults to VIN, but the user could specify their own). On the analog pin side, it would be useful to bring out Agnd and/or AREF.
  • For a larger form factor, consider having logical breakouts in addition to the normal pin breakouts to bring out the 6 UART lines, 4 i2c buses, 2 i2s buses, 3 spi buses, 2 CAN buses). For the i2c buses, it would be helpful to have a way to solder in pull-up resistors.
  • In addition to 5.5mm power jack, it may be useful to have a 2 pin JST header for connecting lipos. Having an area for lipo charger would be useful (perhaps setup for the Adafruit Pro Trinket Backpack).

Thanks Michael,

I agree with most everything you suggested. I have been accused of always adding the kitchen sink so I have been trying to resist.

Yep I need to leave more room for the SDCard

Will see about adding Program button, need to figure out where it might fit: Actually one thing I like about the Feather board, is they have one Reset button. If you momentarily push it, it simply does a reset. If you push and hold for something like a second it goes into program mode.

WIll add JST type connection for VBAT. Not sure yet about room to fit it, may extend board slightly. As you said might be nice for charging circuit

I agree about VIN can be useful, in the past with boards is do something like the old Lynxmotion Bot Board 2 or Botboarduino, andbreak up the pin groups(often in 4s), and for each pin group, you had 3 pin jumpers (sometime 4 pin), where the center on goes to the power pins, and one pin is VIN and another is 3.3V or 5V (Sometimes did like T so you had all three options. Problem is it takes up a lot of room for running all of those power lines.

Also as you semi mentioned, you may want these VIN to be optionally separate to another connector, as in my case here: If you are using some Dynamixel servos you are probably using 3s Lipo and if you wish to add RC Servos, they typically take something like 6 or 7.2V, so you may want second battery.

Also agree about maybe setting up special connectors for the different buses. The question may be choosing which IO pins get run to each of them. Example UART1, you have several choices for RX1/TX1 so do you make all available, or do you use default ones or do you maybe pick some that don't usually get used up by something else... May defer for next round board.

Some of the other things I have not added yet, is I often like some Audio/Visual switch capabilities.

That Is I would like some sound. Do I add a quick and dirty RC circuit like many of my boards have or will there be an adapted version of either Propshield or Audio shield? If so, should I make room for small speaker.

Several of my recent boards had at least one Neopixel on it and maybe a few LEDS, with maybe connector for going to others. Should I add or will that be part of above. Some LEDs are nice to be able to quick debug stuff.

Likewise sometimes having a button or two...

Would like to add support for small RF radios, like RFM95. Should I punt, should I add connectors to simply plug in Adafruit or spark fun breakouts, or how hard is it to solder directly to board, Then need Ant/Gnd like connections.

XBee: Would be nice but very large.

Question is where to draw line for first test things out board.

Again keep suggestions coming.

Thanks again
Kurt

Got my gift today! Thank you :)

I haven't done much yet. It blinks! I knew from defragster that early boards report "00000064" as the USB S/N in bootloader mode, and I figured it was only the case for "MAC-less boards". But my Teensy 3.6 also reports "00000064" in bootloader mode, instead of the hexadecimal S/N like previous boards. Is that a permanent change or a temporary limitation?

KurtE: Yeah, providing too many different options can be a challenge.

I would say for bringing out the pins, only use the default settings (i.e. Serial1 would bring out 0/1 but not 5/21). Whether you want to bring out the CTS pin, I dunno.

For the 4th power/ground pin, perhaps for every group, have an additional pin, that you could manually solder a wire for the appropriate connection (i.e. for pins that drive servos, perhaps the power servo power pin or VIN, for analog pins perhaps AGND).

For the main SPI bus, I could imagine breaking out 11, 12, 13 and have 2 rows, one with 10, and the other 9 (so that you could wire 2 spi devices using 10/9 as CS pins).

You are welcome,

Right now playing around with the board design I had, and maybe add in the lipo support using the MAX1555EZK-T.

I opened up some space, by adding .2" to it, plus reduced the number of AX servo connections by one and move the VR up where it was, as to make run to get SD Cards in and out.

Added the JST connector, and the caps... But still trying to figure out how to best to setup the power, both to the CPU as well as the 3 pin headers.

That is I currently have jumpers, which allow me to pass USB to VIN. I also have a VR (actually DC to DC converter) that I believe can output 2.5 amps at 5v, which I also can jumper to VIN. I also use whatever I pass into VIN to go to all of the pins marked +5v

So what is the best way to hook up power if you also have stuff coming from the Battery/Maxum chip. Handle VIN different than external power?

Sorry I know I am probably off topic here. wonder if all of this should go to different thread.

@defragster
Finally sitting here ( fighting my intermittent web connect ) - pasted the first code example from #936 and indeed no sound from mic [at 240 or 96 MHz].

Why does the BuiltinLED flicker - is from i2s with the analog mic on the Audio board?
I think that's what is happening because I've noticed that when I tap the mic the lED flickers in response.

My mic did work on the VoCoder sample?
That's the odd thing about it. A really simple straight-through test doesn't work but a complicated one with filters/multipliers/etc does work.

MichealM had this post noticing seeming lack of analog changes - does the Audio card use the onboard DAC's or any related things for the mic to work>
I don't think the mic needs the DAC for the mic to work.

Whatever happened with 'too large in flash' - for me it worked those few times - then I may have changed the code enough to shuffle stuff - almost like it wasn't clearing all the flash before uploading?
Another oddity. I haven't tried it today but must give it a shot now that I have the new Arduino and TD installed.

Pete

Will see about adding Program button, need to figure out where it might fit: Actually one thing I like about the Feather board, is they have one Reset button. If you momentarily push it, it simply does a reset. If you push and hold for something like a second it goes into program mode.
That may be true of the Adafruit designed feather boards, but it is not true for the Teensy Feather adapter, where the reset pin connects directly to the program pin. This causes problems with the OLED display, whose own reset pin is tied to the common reset pin. Right now, the main suggestion is to clip the OLED reset pin on the OLED feather wing, and tie this reset into a pin that you use to reset the display (and not the Teensy). https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=100042.

I would suggest having the program button in a different location than the reset button (i.e. on the other side of the board) so that you don't hit the wrong button by accident (for example hitting program when you are nowhere near a computer to re-download the code).

Last edited:
Great work KurtE! Is anybody thinking of creating an Eagle or KiCad template to aid including Teensy 3.5/6 into a custom PCB?

Second (unrelated) question: to assist in my on-going DSP code writing, where can I find info on the FPU performance of the new boards, particularly in comparison with int16 and int32 speeds?

Thanks.

@DerekR
Yep, I did one several days ago, but had to take a trip and forgot to put the eagle footprint on my cloud before I left. I get home today so I should be able to put it up.

File link removed. This one is obsolete. See post #1331

Ok guys this is my prelim eagle footprint, some of the pin functions could be wrong (after #39 they are not confirmed with a pin out card), I left out the alternate pins because there are so damn many of them that its hard to put them all on the symbol. I have not updated this other then to add a warning since last week, I have a lot of catching up to do IRL.

Guys as we find things out let me know and I will gladly update the footprint. The 3.5 footprint should not be to hard I think it will mainly be fewer functions on pins and 5V tolerance.

Prelim!!! Check all PIN Assignments!!!!
Pins after #39 have not been confirmed
as to functions, alternate pin functions not
marked.

Footprint and symbol screenshots for those who don't have eagle or aren't around a computer to look.
Note!!! 3.18mm is actually 3.175mm for the second USB, eagle rounded it
I also have an updated version I am working on.

HlmX8Kl.jpg
CoIxaxr.jpg

Last edited:
Ok guys this is my prelim eagle footprint, some of the pin functions could be wrong (after #39 they are not confirmed with a pin out card), I left out the alternate pins because there are so damn many of them that its hard to put them all on the symbol. I have not updated this other then to add a warning since last week, I have a lot of catching up to do IRL.

Guys as we find things out let me know and I will gladly update the footprint. The 3.5 footprint should not be to hard I think it will mainly be fewer functions on pins and 5V tolerance.

Prelim!!! Check all PIN Assignments!!!!
Pins after #39 have not been confirmed
as to functions, alternate pin functions not
marked.

View attachment 7903

Footprint and symbol screenshots for those who don't have eagle or aren't around a computer to look.
View attachment 7904
View attachment 7905

great, thank you

Paul,

Playing around with these board layouts, and seeing those 5 pins dedicated to USB host pins, was wondering what happens with those pins for the Teensy 3.5..

So for the fun of it I am looking through the PDFs:

With the pins marked GND GND - Standard ground for one or both ore USB1_VSS (K2)

So we have three other pins marked: D+, D-, +5V

I am guessing that D+ is pin J1 and D- is K1

Note Sure for +5V ... USB1_VBUS? (L1)

Looking at the 3.5 reference manual, it looks like some of these pins are used for Analog pins.. maybe differential if both?
J1 ADC0_DP1
J2 ADC0_DM1
K1 ADC1_DP1
K2 ADC1_DM1
L1 ADC0_DP0/ADC1_DP3
L2 ADC0_DM0/ADC1_DM3

Does it make sense to expose/mention them?

I posted that question in some fashion the other day, good on you for actually looking it up. I was hoping those pins might have some use.

Re: prelim eagle footprint

It's been a couple years since I layed out a pcb, can KiCad load Eagle data, maybe with 3rd party help?

Re: prelim eagle footprint

It's been a couple years since I layed out a pcb, can KiCad load Eagle data, maybe with 3rd party help?

Not that im aware of. I will be making one in the next few days, I need one for another project i'm working on that is to big for free eagle.

@Robin... T3.6 arrived in UK this morning. Many thanks for your care and consideration.

Looking forward to stretching the Flextimers on this little beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back