uBlox Library

@brtaylor-

I want to give you a link to the question I raised on the Arduino forum.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=604991.0

All persist in insisting that the UBLOX library does not provide work in the mode of continuous long data reception. I disagree with them! But no one was able to explain the patterns observed by me with exceeding 240 bytes and with always successful first parsing after CPU reset. Maybe you will be interested. I believe that everything is connected with a buffer overflow between two parsing and I suggest to clear it with each failed parsing (when the PVT package is not identified). Approximately as I was advised on the forum:
Code:
bool UBLOX::_parse(uint8_t msg_class,uint8_t msg_id,uint16_t msg_length)
{
	// read a byte from the serial port
	while (_bus->available()) {
		_byte = _bus->read();
		// identify the packet header
		if (_parserState < 2) {
			if (_byte == _ubxHeader[_parserState]) {
				_parserState++;
			} else {
				_parserState = 0;
//************ clean serial buffer ***************

while(Serial.available()) Serial.read();

//*******************************************
			}
		} else {
			if ((_parserState - 2) < msg_length) {
				*((uint8_t *) &_tempPacket + _parserState - 2) = _byte;
			}
			_parserState++;
			// compute checksum
			if ((_parserState - 2) == msg_length) {
				_calcChecksum(_checksum,((uint8_t *) &_tempPacket),msg_length);
			} else if ((_parserState - 2) == (msg_length + 1)) {
				if (_byte != _checksum[0]) {
					_parserState = 0;
				}
			} else if ((_parserState - 2) == (msg_length + 2)) {
				_parserState = 0;
				if (_byte == _checksum[1]) {
					memcpy(&_validPacket,&_tempPacket,sizeof(_validPacket));
					return true;
				}
			} else if (_parserState > (msg_length + 4) ) {
				_parserState = 0;
			}
		}
	}
	return false;
}

Do you think my proposal is correct?

Hi Brian,
I'd been successfully using another UBLOX parser, but saw that you'd updated yours and so .....
Using the Master library with UBLOX8.h and UBLOX8.cpp, the included example needs some work. It loads UBLOX.h which of course isn't there.
By any chance have you uodated the example somewhere to agree with your code improvements?

best regards,

john

PS: I found another iteration of your library which works fine. In my earlier use of another parser, I Ublox meant I could only read lat/lon. Was that incorrect?

Last edited:
Hi Brian,
I'd been successfully using another UBLOX parser, but saw that you'd updated yours and so .....
Using the Master library with UBLOX8.h and UBLOX8.cpp, the included example needs some work. It loads UBLOX.h which of course isn't there.
By any chance have you uodated the example somewhere to agree with your code improvements?

best regards,

john

PS: I found another iteration of your library which works fine. In my earlier use of another parser, I Ublox meant I could only read lat/lon. Was that incorrect?

My latest and greatest is typically on GitHub, so this one should work fine:
https://github.com/bolderflight/UBLOX

It shows printing several values, but a full list of available methods to get data is located here:
https://github.com/bolderflight/UBLOX#data-retrieval

Hi Brian,

I had thought, apparently wrongly, that the 10 Hz binary signal from an M8N could not include the clock data. Accordingly, my 2016 flight data recorder included a clock module. In addition to having time fields in each record, I used its output to name the flight-data files recorded in a micro-sd; 100101.csv for example. This would be a file created at 10:01.01 I had to do this so that on a day with 5 or 6 flights i would have discrete files which could be associated with particular flights.

When present system is powered on, it writes a sequence of reports to SERIAL1 which is connected by removable cable to a little nano powered oled display terminal in a 3d printed box. After not-showing any killer error reports, it displays vacc, and hacc. this way I know when the GPS has settled down and a flight can commence.

since the external clock works all the time, I can label and initialize the SD file as an early step in the SETUP. If I now depend on the clock in the gps, I will need to watch the gps output until it locks on and provides a usable clock signal, then initialize the sd file and start everything else.

The usual clock modules do not output sub second intervals. Although I replaced the chip on one of AdaFruit's clocks with a chip that did, I foundered on modifying the code to output the 1/100s. I was getting ready to add a millis function to make my own sub-seconds, but now with your code can just read them from the gPS output. And I also can take the clock modules out of the planes.

I realize that none of this may seem great shakes to people farther along this route than I am, but to me it's amazing that I can do this stuff and the code and equipment to do it with is so readily available.

Cheers,

John

Bingo,
After some fussing with Ublox-Center, I was able to configure my M8N to emit what your code was looking for. Works great and will allow me to clean up my data-recorder code.
Thanks much,

john

Bingo,
After some fussing with Ublox-Center, I was able to configure my M8N to emit what your code was looking for. Works great and will allow me to clean up my data-recorder code.
Thanks much,

john

Good! Glad it's working well for you.

Brian

Hi Brian,

The may be more of an aesthetic issue, but i need a routine to wait for the Ublox to start emitting real data before continuing my program. I'm using the clock functions to name the files I'm recording on the microSD, such that a file started at 13:05.22 would be named 130522.csv . I'm constrained to 6 characters before the extension and since I dump the files to a computer for analysis every day, I can sort them by date by the datestamp the computer puts on them. This scheme was a shot at how to name files for a series of flights without having them write over each other.

When I was using an RT clock, there was no problem because enough of the rest of the setup had run by the time the clock was read that it was sure to be sending out good data.

But with the UBLOX that's not so certain.

My solution is to read the year and continue when it reads 2019.

Is there a more elegant way to do this? One that I won;t have to remember to change the year in the code nest January?

John

PS: This is what I did. Seems simple enough
Code:
 if(gps.readSensor()) {
    int year=(gps.getYear());
    if(year==2019){
    Serial.print(gps.getYear());  
    etc, etc,

Last edited:
Hi Brian,

The may be more of an aesthetic issue, but i need a routine to wait for the Ublox to start emitting real data before continuing my program. I'm using the clock functions to name the files I'm recording on the microSD, such that a file started at 13:05.22 would be named 130522.csv . I'm constrained to 6 characters before the extension and since I dump the files to a computer for analysis every day, I can sort them by date by the datestamp the computer puts on them. This scheme was a shot at how to name files for a series of flights without having them write over each other.

When I was using an RT clock, there was no problem because enough of the rest of the setup had run by the time the clock was read that it was sure to be sending out good data.

But with the UBLOX that's not so certain.

My solution is to read the year and continue when it reads 2019.

Is there a more elegant way to do this? One that I won;t have to remember to change the year in the code nest January?

John

PS: This is what I did. Seems simple enough
Code:
 if(gps.readSensor()) {
    int year=(gps.getYear());
    if(year==2019){
    Serial.print(gps.getYear());  
    etc, etc,

A couple of ways I can think of at the moment:
1. You could look at the fix type and ensure that you have a time fix or better (i.e. 2D or 3D).
2. You could look at the isValidDate() flag and the isConfirmedDate. If both those are true, you should have valid a valid date available.

Brian,
I apologize for waltzing you through all of my difficulties, but they seem to continue. I'm now confronted by the possibility that two of my Ublox M8N's are counterfeit. Both have lost ability to talk completely with U-Center. I'm running U-Center 19.04 on Windows 10. It can modify setup on the M8N's but not poll them.

The last time I used U-Center was three years ago and I had no problem with it. I don;t know what version it was, and it was probably running on Vista 7.

I'm warming up to try UBX commands on them to see if at least I can reset them to default - the U-center command won't do it. I'm also going to buy a new module, probably from SparkFun.

I can vaguely remember having to include gps commands in an autopilot routine that i wrote for one i cobbled up for our boat, but that was for another gps. It did work.

So I guess the easiest question, is which version of U-Center are you using?

I'm off on a 3 week trip, so won't be able to try anything until i get back.

best regards,

John

I think I found my problem. i used to use an Ardhuino Uno with RST shorted to ground as a signal booster to connect the Ublox GPS module to the USB port on the computer. The Uno is a bit clumsy for this and I thought I'd do the same thing with a Nano. I made some very nice pcb boards about the size of nanos that had two ports, one an I2C port and the other a serial. I added a swtich to ground the RST for when I wanted a serial pass through.

It appears that the USART on the Nano doesn't work the same way, and this connection wasn't really working. It looks like signals sent to the GPS weren't really getting through.

One more surprise. I'm still on my trip so cannot confirm this until i get home in a couple of weeks.

Hi, I try to compile UBLOX.h on Arduino Uno and get this error:

undefined reference to `setup'
undefined reference to `loop'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1

What can be the cause ?
Thanks

Probably caused by not showing your code...
Sounds like a problem with your development environment. Are you using Plateform IO or something?
Can you please attached your Arduino sketch using the proper CODE tags.

Thaks,
I am using Arduino UNO board.
Here is the sketch:

Code:
/*
  UBLOX.h
  Brian R Taylor
  brian.taylor@bolderflight.com
  2016-11-03

Copyright (c) 2016 Bolder Flight Systems

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software
  and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction,
  including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute,
  sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
  furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or
  substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
  BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
  NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM,
  DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
  OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

v1.0.3
  Chris O.
  2018-03-29

Supported Navigation IDs:
  UBX-NAV-PVT ---- (0x01 0x07) Navigation Position Velocity Time Solution
  UBX-NAV-POSLLH - (0x01 0x02) Geodetic Position Solution
  UBX-NAV-ATT ---- (0x01 0x05) Attitude Solution

/---  High level Commands, for the user ---/
   NOTE: command(bool) == (true)Print Message Acknowledged on USB Serial Monitor
  begin(Baud)                       // Starting communication with the GPS
  end();                            // Disables Teensy serial communication, to re-enable, call begin(Baud)
  Poll_CFG_Port1(bool);             // Polls the configuration for one I/O Port, I/O Target 0x01=UART1
  Poll_NAV_PVT();                   // Polls UBX-NAV-PVT    (0x01 0x07) Navigation Position Velocity Time Solution
  Poll_NAV_POSLLH();                // Polls UBX-NAV-POSLLH (0x01 0x02) Geodetic Position Solution
  Poll_NAV_ATT();                   // Polls UBX-NAV-ATT    (0x01 0x05) Attitude Solution
  Poll_MON_IO(bool);                // Polls UBX-MON-IO (0x0A 0x02) I/O Subsystem Status
  Poll_MON_VER(bool);               // Polls UBX-MON-VER (0x0A 0x04) Receiver/Software Version
  Poll_CFG_TP5(bool);               // Polls CFG-TP5        (0x06 0x31) Poll Time Pulse 0 Parameters
  ### Periodic Auto Update ON,OFF Command ###
  Ena_NAV_PVT(bool);                // Enable periodic auto update NAV_PVT
  Dis_NAV_PVT(bool);                // Disable periodic auto update NAV_PVT
  Ena_NAV_ATT(bool);                // Enable periodic auto update NAV_ATT
  Dis_NAV_ATT(bool);                // Disable periodic auto update NAV_ATT
  Ena_NAV_POSLLH(bool);             // Enable periodic auto update NAV_POSLLH
  Dis_NAV_POSLLH(bool);             // Disable periodic auto update NAV_POSLLH
  ### u-blox Switch off all NMEA MSGs ###
  Dis_all_NMEA_Child_MSGs(bool);    // Disable All NMEA Child Messages Command
  ### High level Command Generator ###
  SetGPSbaud(uint32_t baud, bool)   // Set UBLOX GPS Port Configuration Baud rate
  SetNAV5(uint8_t dynModel, bool)   // Set Dynamic platform model Navigation Engine Settings (0:portable, 3:pedestrian, Etc)
  SetRATE(uint16_t measRate, bool)  // Set Navigation/Measurement Rate Settings (100ms=10.00Hz, 200ms=5.00Hz, 1000ms=1.00Hz, Etc)
  SetCFG_TP5(uint32_t FreqLocked, double DutyLocked, uint16_t antCableDelay, bool printACK); // UBX-CFG-TP5 (0x06 0x31) Time Pulse 0 Parameters
  Ena_Dis_MON_IO(bool En~Di, bool) // UBX-MON-IO (0x0A 0x02) Ena/Dis periodic auto update I/O Subsystem Status, bytes(received, sent), parity , framing , overrun)
*/

//  UBX-NAV-POSLLH -- Geodetic Position Solution
//  ### UBX Protocol, Class NAV 0x01, ID 0x02 ###
// UBX-NAV-POSLLH (0x01 0x02) (Payload U-blox-M8&M7&M6=20)
// iTOW                       ///< [ms], GPS time of the navigation epoch
// lon                        ///< [deg], Longitude
// lat                        ///< [deg], Latitude
// height                     ///< [m], Height above ellipsoid
// hMSL                       ///< [m], Height above mean sea level
// hAcc                       ///< [m], Horizontal accuracy estimate

//  UBX-NAV-ATT -- Attitude Solution
//  ### UBX Protocol, Class NAV 0x01, ID 0x05 ###
//  ### NOTE: U-blox M8 from protocol version 19 up to version 23.01 (only with ADR or UDR products) ###
// UBX-NAV-ATT (0x01 0x05)    (Payload U-blox-M8=32)
// version                    ///< [ND],  Message version (0 for this version)
// roll                       ///< [deg], Vehicle roll.
// pitch                      ///< [deg], Vehicle pitch.
// heading                    ///< [deg], Heading of motion (2-D)
// accRoll                    ///< [deg], Vehicle roll accuracy (if null, roll angle is not available).
// accPitch                   ///< [deg], Vehicle pitch accuracy (if null, pitch angle is not available).
// accHeading                 ///< [deg], Vehicle heading accuracy (if null, heading angle is not available).

//  UBX-NAV-PVT --  Navigation Position Velocity Time Solution
//  ### UBX Protocol, Class NAV 0x01, ID 0x07 ###
// UBX-NAV-PVT (0x01 0x07)    (Payload U-blox-M8=92, M7&M6=84)
// iTOW                       ///< [ms], GPS time of the navigation epoch
// utcYear                    ///< [year], Year (UTC)
// utcMonth                   ///< [month], Month, range 1..12 (UTC)
// utcDay                     ///< [day], Day of month, range 1..31 (UTC)
// utcHour                    ///< [hour], Hour of day, range 0..23 (UTC)
// utcMin                     ///< [min], Minute of hour, range 0..59 (UTC)
// utcSec                     ///< [s], Seconds of minute, range 0..60 (UTC)
// valid                      ///< [ND], Validity flags
// tAcc                       ///< [ns], Time accuracy estimate (UTC)
// utcNano                    ///< [ns], Fraction of second, range -1e9 .. 1e9 (UTC)
// fixType                    ///< [ND], GNSSfix Type: 0: no fix, 1: dead reckoning only, 2: 2D-fix, 3: 3D-fix, 4: GNSS + dead reckoning combined, 5: time only fix
// flags                      ///< [ND], Fix status flags
// flags2                     ///< [ND], Additional flags
// numSV                      ///< [ND], Number of satellites used in Nav Solution
// lon                        ///< [deg], Longitude
// lat                        ///< [deg], Latitude
// height                     ///< [m], Height above ellipsoid
// hMSL                       ///< [m], Height above mean sea level
// hAcc                       ///< [m], Horizontal accuracy estimate
// vAcc                       ///< [m], Vertical accuracy estimate
// velN                       ///< [m/s], NED north velocity
// velE                       ///< [m/s], NED east velocity
// velD                       ///< [m/s], NED down velocity
// gSpeed                     ///< [m/s], Ground Speed (2-D)
// heading                    ///< [deg], Heading of motion (2-D)
// sAcc                       ///< [m/s], Speed accuracy estimate
// headingAcc                 ///< [deg], Heading accuracy estimate (both motion and vehicle)
// pDOP                       ///< [ND], Position DOP
// headVeh                    ///< [deg], Heading of vehicle (2-D)             #### NOTE: u-blox8 only ####
// --- magDec, magAcc --- TODO TEST
// magDec                     ///< [deg], Magnetic declination                 #### NOTE: u-blox8 only ####
// magAcc                     ///< [deg], Magnetic declination accuracy        #### NOTE: u-blox8 only ####

#ifndef UBLOX_h
#define UBLOX_h

#include "Arduino.h"

struct gpsData {
  unsigned long   iTOW;        ///< [ms], GPS time of the navigation epoch
  unsigned short  utcYear;     ///< [year], Year (UTC)
  unsigned char   utcMonth;    ///< [month], Month, range 1..12 (UTC)
  unsigned char   utcDay;      ///< [day], Day of month, range 1..31 (UTC)
  unsigned char   utcHour;     ///< [hour], Hour of day, range 0..23 (UTC)
  unsigned char   utcMin;      ///< [min], Minute of hour, range 0..59 (UTC)
  unsigned char   utcSec;      ///< [s], Seconds of minute, range 0..60 (UTC)
  unsigned char   valid;       ///< [ND], Validity flags
  unsigned long   tAcc;        ///< [ns], Time accuracy estimate (UTC)
  long            utcNano;     ///< [ns], Fraction of second, range -1e9 .. 1e9 (UTC)
  unsigned char   fixType;     ///< [ND], GNSSfix Type: 0: no fix, 1: dead reckoning only, 2: 2D-fix, 3: 3D-fix, 4: GNSS + dead reckoning combined, 5: time only fix
  unsigned char   flags;       ///< [ND], Fix status flags
  unsigned char   flags2;      ///< [ND], Additional flags
  unsigned char   numSV;       ///< [ND], Number of satellites used in Nav Solution
  double          lon;         ///< [deg], Longitude
  double          lat;         ///< [deg], Latitude
  double          height;      ///< [m], Height above ellipsoid
  double          hMSL;        ///< [m], Height above mean sea level
  double          hAcc;        ///< [m], Horizontal accuracy estimate
  double          vAcc;        ///< [m], Vertical accuracy estimate
  double          velN;        ///< [m/s], NED north velocity
  double          velE;        ///< [m/s], NED east velocity
  double          velD;        ///< [m/s], NED down velocity
  double          gSpeed;      ///< [m/s], Ground Speed (2-D)
  double          heading;     ///< [deg], Heading of motion (2-D) ***
  double          sAcc;        ///< [m/s], Speed accuracy estimate
  double          headingAcc;  ///< [deg], Heading accuracy estimate (both motion and vehicle)
  double          pDOP;        ///< [ND], Position DOP
  double          headVeh;     ///< [deg], Heading of vehicle (2-D)        #### NOTE: u-blox8 only ####
  double          magDec;      ///< [deg], Magnetic declination            #### NOTE: u-blox8 only ####
  double          magAcc;      ///< [deg], Magnetic declination accuracy   #### NOTE: u-blox8 only ####
  // UBX-NAV-ATT (0x01 0x05) Length (Payload 32)
  // #### NOTE: u-blox 8 from protocol version 19 up to version 23.01 (only with ADR or UDR products) ###
  unsigned char   version;     ///< [ND],  Message version (0 for this version)
  double          roll;        ///< [deg], Vehicle roll.
  double          pitch;       ///< [deg], Vehicle pitch.
  //              heading;     ///< [deg], heading *** see above ^^^^
  double          accRoll;     ///< [deg], Vehicle roll accuracy (if null, roll angle is not available).
  double          accPitch;    ///< [deg], Vehicle pitch accuracy (if null, pitch angle is not available).
  double          accHeading;  ///< [deg], Vehicle heading accuracy (if null, heading angle is not available).

/* Returned after sending a Poll command or periodic auto update */
  uint32_t        GpsUart1Baud; ///< [ND], Current GPS Uart1 baud rate --
  // UBX-MON-IO (0x0A 0x02) I/O Subsystem Status
  uint32_t        rxBytes;       ///< [B], Number of bytes ever received
  uint32_t        txBytes;       ///< [B], Number of bytes ever sent
  uint16_t        parityErrs;    ///< [ms], Number of 100ms timeslots with parity errors
  uint16_t        framingErrs;   ///< [ms], Number of 100ms timeslots with framing errors
  uint16_t        overrunErrs;   ///< [ms], Number of 100ms timeslots with overrun errors
  uint16_t        breakCond;     ///< [ms], Number of 100ms timeslots with break conditions
  uint8_t         rxBusy;        ///< [0~1], Flag is receiver is busy
  uint8_t         txBusy;        ///< [0~1], Flag is transmitter is busy
  // UBX-MON-VER (0x0A 0x04) Receiver/Software Version
  float           swVersion;     ///< Software Version
  uint32_t        revVersion;    ///< Software Version
  uint32_t        hwVersion;     ///< Hardware Version
  float           extension1;    ///< Extended software information, Protocol version e.g. (14.00)
  //              extension2;    ///< strings e.g. the supported major GNSS ~ GPS;SBAS;GLO;QZSS
  // UBX-CFG-TP5 (0x06 0x31) Time Pulse Parameters
  uint16_t        antCableDelay; ///< [ns], Antenna cable delay
  uint32_t        freqPeriodL;   ///< [Hz], Frequency time when locked to GPS time
  double          dutycycleL;    ///< [%], duty cycle locked %

// For more INFO see u-blox # / u-blox M# pdf Manual, Receiver Description Including Protocol Specification.
  // https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/u-blox8-M8_ReceiverDescrProtSpec_(UBX-13003221)_Public.pdf
};

class UBLOX {
  public:
    UBLOX();
    UBLOX(uint8_t bus);
    void configure(uint8_t bus);
    void begin(int baud);
    void end(); // Disables serial communication, to re-enable serial communication, call gps.begin(Baud);
    bool read(gpsData *gpsData_ptr);

/******************************************/
    /**  High level commands, for the user    */
    /******************************************/
    void Poll_GPSbaud_Port1(bool printACK);             // Polls the configuration for one I/O Port, I/O Target 0x01=UART1
    void Poll_CFG_TP5(bool printACK);                   // Polls CFG-TP5 (0x06 0x31) Poll Time Pulse 0 Parameters
    void Poll_MON_IO(bool printACK);                    // Polls MON-I/O Subsystem Status, bytes(received, sent), parity errors, framing errors, overrun errors)
    void Poll_MON_VER(bool printACK);                   // Polls MON-VER (0x0A 0x04) Receiver/Software Version
    void Poll_NAV_PVT();                                // Polls UBX-NAV-PVT    (0x01 0x07) Navigation Position Velocity Time Solution
    void Poll_NAV_POSLLH();                             // Polls UBX-NAV-POSLLH (0x01 0x02) Geodetic Position Solution
    void Poll_NAV_ATT();                                // Polls UBX-NAV-ATT (0x01 0x05) Attitude Solution
    // ### Periodic auto update ON,OFF command ###
    void Ena_NAV_PVT(bool printACK);                    // Enable periodic auto update NAV_PVT
    void Dis_NAV_PVT(bool printACK);                    // Disable periodic auto update NAV_PVT
    void Ena_NAV_ATT(bool printACK);                    // Enable periodic auto update NAV_ATT
    void Dis_NAV_ATT(bool printACK);                    // Disable periodic auto update NAV_ATT
    void Ena_NAV_POSLLH(bool printACK);                 // Enable periodic auto update NAV_POSLLH
    void Dis_NAV_POSLLH(bool printACK);                 // Disable periodic auto update NAV_POSLLH
    // #### u-blox Switch OFF ALL NMEA MSGs ####
    void Dis_all_NMEA_Child_MSGs(bool printACK);        // Disable All NMEA Child Messages Command
    /** High level Command Generator GPS control write operations **/
    void SetGPSbaud(uint32_t GPS32baud, bool printACK); // UBX-CFG-PRT  (0x06 0x00)  Set UBLOX GPS Port Configuration Baud rate
    void SetNAV5(uint8_t dynModel, bool printACK);      // UBX-CFG-NAV5 (0x06 0x24)  Set Dynamic platform model Navigation Engine Settings (0:portable, 3:pedestrian, Etc)
    void SetRATE(uint16_t measRate, bool printACK);     // UBX-CFG-RATE (0x06 0x08)  Set Navigation/Measurement Rate Settings (100ms=10.00Hz, 200ms=5.00Hz, 1000ms=1.00Hz, Etc)
    void Ena_Dis_MON_IO(bool on_off, bool printACK);    // UBX-MON-IO (0x0A 0x02) Ena/Dis periodic auto update I/O Subsystem Status, bytes(received, sent), parity , framing , overrun)
    void SetCFG_TP5(uint32_t FreqLocked, double DutyLocked, uint16_t antCableDelay, bool printACK); // UBX-CFG-TP5 (0x06 0x31) Time Pulse 0 Parameters

// TODO: add pre-processor ifdef
    ///> void USE_Ucenter(bool u_c); // # experimental Bridge between u-center and teensy UBLOX #

private:
    uint8_t _bus;
    uint8_t _fpos;
    uint8_t _CurrentClass;
    uint8_t _portID; // I/O Port
    uint32_t _printACK;
    uint32_t _printACK_Dis_all_NMEA;
    uint32_t _printACK_PVT;
    uint32_t _printACK_ATT;
    uint32_t _printACK_POSLLH;
    uint8_t _ACKcount;
    bool _pACK2 = false;
    bool _pACK_RATE = false;
    bool _pACK_NAV5 = false;
    bool _pACK_TP5 = false;
    bool _UBX_NAV_PVT_ID = false;
    bool _UBX_NAV_POSLLH_ID = false;
    bool _UBX_NAV_ATT_ID = false;
    bool _UBX_ACK_ACK_ID = false;
    bool _UBX_CFG_ID = false;
    bool _UBX_MON_ID = false;
    uint8_t _print_I_O = 0;
    uint16_t _MSGpayloadSize;
    uint32_t _GpsUartBaud;

// # experimental u-center COM #
    ///> bool _use_ucenter = false; // # u-center #

static const uint8_t _payloadSize = 150; // array error: UBX-NAV-SVINFO (0x01 0x30) experimental u-center, needs 230
    uint8_t _gpsPayload[_payloadSize];
    HardwareSerial* _port;
    bool parse();
    void calcChecksum(unsigned char* CK, unsigned char* payload, uint8_t length);
    void ACK_IDs(uint8_t SERa);
    void NAV_IDs(uint8_t SERn);
    void CFG_IDs(uint8_t SERc);

// # experimental u-center COM #
    ///> int rd = 0, wr = 0, n = 0;    // # u-center #
    ///> uint8_t buffer[_payloadSize]; // # u-center #

/** High level Command GPS control write operations **/
    // Generate the uBlox command configuration
    void writeCommand(uint8_t CLASS, uint8_t ID , uint8_t PayloadLength0, uint8_t PayloadLength1, uint8_t Identifier, uint8_t Para0, uint8_t Para1, uint8_t Para2, uint8_t Para3, uint8_t res0, uint32_t P32t0, uint32_t P32t1) const;

// ### Polling Commands Mechanism, MSG REQUEST ###
    // All messages that are output by the receiver in a periodic manner (e.g. messages in classes MON, NAV and RXM) can also be polled.
    uint8_t const _Poll_CFG_PRT[9] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x01, 0x08, 0x22};  // UBX-CFG-PRT (0x06 0x00) Polls the GPS baud configuration for one I/O Port, (I/O Target # MSG) 0x01=UART1
    uint8_t const _Poll_NAV_PVT[8] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x01, 0x07, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08, 0x19};        // UBX-NAV-PVT (0x01 0x07) Navigation Position Velocity Time Solution
    uint8_t const _Poll_NAV_POSLLH[8] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x01, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x0A};        // UBX-NAV-POSLLH (0x01 0x02) Geodetic Position Solution
    uint8_t const _Poll_NAV_ATT[8] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x06, 0x13};        // UBX-NAV-ATT (0x01 0x05) Attitude Solution
    // TODO
    //uint8_t const _Poll_CFG_NAV5[8] =      {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x24, 0x00, 0x00, 0x2A, 0x84};      // UBX-CFG-NAV5 (0x06 0x24) Navigation Engine Settings
    //uint8_t const _Poll_CFG_RATE[8] =      {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0E, 0x30};      // UBX-CFG-RATE (0x06 0x08) Navigation/Measurement Rate Settings
    uint8_t const _Poll_MON_IO[8] =        {0xB5, 0x62, 0x0A, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0C, 0x2E};        // UBX-MON-IO (0x0A 0x02) Poll I/O Subsystem Status
    uint8_t const _Poll_MON_VER[8] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x0A, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0E, 0x34};        // UBX-MON-VER (0x0A 0x04) Poll Receiver/Software Version
    uint8_t const _Poll_CFG_TP5[9] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x31, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x38, 0xE5};  // UBX-CFG-TP5 (0x06 0x31) Poll Time Pulse Parameters

// ### Periodic auto update ON,OFF command ###
    // CFG-MSG 0x06 0x01
    uint8_t const _Ena_NAV_PVT[11] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x01, 0x07, 0x01, 0x13, 0x51}; // Enable periodic auto update NAV_PVT
    uint8_t const _Dis_NAV_PVT[11] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x01, 0x07, 0x00, 0x12, 0x50}; // Disable periodic auto update NAV_PVT
    uint8_t const _Ena_NAV_ATT[11] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x01, 0x05, 0x01, 0x11, 0x4D}; // Enable periodic auto update NAV_ATT
    uint8_t const _Dis_NAV_ATT[11] =       {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x10, 0x4C}; // Disable periodic auto update NAV_ATT
    uint8_t const _Ena_NAV_POSLLH[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x01, 0x02, 0x01, 0x0E, 0x47}; // Enable periodic auto update NAV_POSLLH
    uint8_t const _Dis_NAV_POSLLH[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x01, 0x02, 0x00, 0x0D, 0x46}; // Disable periodic auto update NAV_POSLLH
    //uint8_t const _Ena_MON_IO[11] =      {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x0A, 0x02, 0x01, 0x17, 0x62}; // Enable periodic auto update MON_IO (0x0A 0x02)
    //uint8_t const _Dis_MON_IO[11] =      {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x0A, 0x02, 0x00, 0x16, 0x61}; // Disable periodic auto update MON_IO (0x0A 0x02)

// #### NMEA- u-blox Switch OFF ALL NMEA MSGs ####
    // #### ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NMEA--Name - Description -------------------------------------------------------- ####
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxDTM[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x0A, 0x00, 0x04, 0x23}; // NMEA GxDTM (DTM 0xF0 0x0A) Datum Reference)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxGBS[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x09, 0x00, 0x03, 0x21}; // NMEA GxGBS (GBS 0xF0 0x09) GNSS Satellite Fault Detection)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxGGA[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x00, 0x00, 0xFA, 0x0F}; // NMEA GxGGA (GGA 0xF0 0x00) Global positioning system fix data)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxGLL[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x01, 0x00, 0xFB, 0x11}; // NMEA GxGLL (GLL 0xF0 0x01) Latitude and longitude, with time of position fix and status)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxGNS[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x0D, 0x00, 0x07, 0x29}; // NMEA GxGNS (GNS 0xF0 0x0D) GNSS fix data)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxGRS[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x06, 0x00, 0x00, 0x1B}; // NMEA GxGRS (GRS 0xF0 0x06) GNSS Range Residuals)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxGSA[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x02, 0x00, 0xFC, 0x13}; // NMEA GxGSA (GSA 0xF0 0x02) GNSS DOP and Active Satellites)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxGST[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x07, 0x00, 0x01, 0x1D}; // NMEA GxGST (GST 0xF0 0x07) GNSS Pseudo Range Error Statistics)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxGSV[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x03, 0x00, 0xFD, 0x15}; // NMEA GxGSV (GSV 0xF0 0x03) GNSS Satellites in View)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxRMC[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x04, 0x00, 0xFE, 0x17}; // NMEA GxRMC (RMC 0xF0 0x04) Recommended Minimum data)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxVLW[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x0F, 0x00, 0x09, 0x2D}; // NMEA GxVLW (VLW 0xF0 0x0F) Dual ground/water distance)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxVTG[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x05, 0x00, 0xFF, 0x19}; // NMEA GxVTG (VTG 0xF0 0x05) Course over ground and Ground speed)
    uint8_t const _Dis_NMEA_GxZDA[11] =    {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x08, 0x00, 0x02, 0x1F}; // NMEA GxZDA (ZDA 0xF0 0x08) Time and Date)
    // #### PUBX- u-blox NMEA extension - Switch OFF ALL ####
    uint8_t const _Dis_PUBXe_NMEA00[11] =  {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF1, 0x00, 0x00, 0xFB, 0x12}; // PUBX 00 (Position Data)
    uint8_t const _Dis_PUBXe_NMEA01[11] =  {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF1, 0x01, 0x00, 0xFC, 0x14}; // PUBX 01 (UTM Position Data)
    uint8_t const _Dis_PUBXe_NMEA03[11] =  {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF1, 0x03, 0x00, 0xFE, 0x18}; // PUBX 03 (Satellite Data)
    uint8_t const _Dis_PUBXe_NMEA04[11] =  {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF1, 0x04, 0x00, 0xFF, 0x1A}; // PUBX 04 (Time of Day)
    uint8_t const _Dis_PUBXe_NMEA05[11] =  {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF1, 0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x1C}; // PUBX 05 (EKF Status)
    uint8_t const _Dis_PUBXe_NMEA06[11] =  {0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0xF1, 0x06, 0x00, 0x01, 0x1E}; // PUBX 06 (GPS-only on EKF products)

uint32_t i_atoi(uint8_t s[], uint8_t ptr); // String helper
    double modifiedMap(double _x, double _in_min, double _in_max, double _out_min, double _out_max);
    void DEBUG(); // debug print helper
};
#endif

Thats not a sketch, thats the header file from the library.

Try looking in the example folder. you will find this.
Code:
#include "UBLOX.h"

// a uBlox object, which is on hardware
// serial port 1 with a baud rate of 115200
UBLOX gps(Serial1,115200);

void setup() {
  // serial to display data
  Serial.begin(115200);

// starting communication with the GPS receiver
  gps.begin();
}

void loop() {
  // checking to see if a good packet has
  // been received and displaying some
  // of the packet data
  if(gps.readSensor()) {
    Serial.print(gps.getYear());                ///< [year], Year (UTC)
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(gps.getMonth());               ///< [month], Month, range 1..12 (UTC)
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(gps.getDay());                 ///< [day], Day of month, range 1..31 (UTC)
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(gps.getHour());                ///< [hour], Hour of day, range 0..23 (UTC)
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(gps.getMin());                 ///< [min], Minute of hour, range 0..59 (UTC)
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(gps.getSec());                 ///< [s], Seconds of minute, range 0..60 (UTC)
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(gps.getNumSatellites());       ///< [ND], Number of satellites used in Nav Solution
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(gps.getLatitude_deg(),10);     ///< [deg], Latitude
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(gps.getLongitude_deg(),10);    ///< [deg], Longitude
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.println(gps.getMSLHeight_ft());      ///< [ft], Height above mean sea level
  }
}

If you're new to arduino, suggest you get some of the basic arduino examples running in the Arduino IDE first, like Blink. Once you see how arduino sketches work, then install the Ublox library, hook up your Ublox receiver, and then run the examples from the Ublox library. Lots of youtube videos and such to help you get started.

With a Ublox receiver, you may also need to check the configuration settings using Ublox's U-Center app, which unfortunately only runs in Windows.

The other thing you have to remember is that the Arduino only has one UART so Serial on pins 0 and 1 are shared with USB connector to the computer. Not sure it would work with AltSoftSerial which would allow you to using other pins for serial.

hi i tell you that this library focuses on configuration and control of Ublox devices over 12C (called DDC by ublox ) and serial . Thank you

It looks like uBlox now prefers UBX-CFG-VALSET and UBX-CFG-VALGET to set and get configuration values. Is anyone familiar with that approach?

It looks like uBlox now prefers UBX-CFG-VALSET and UBX-CFG-VALGET to set and get configuration values. Is anyone familiar with that approach?

No haven't see that as of yet. Haven't played with GPS except for Ardusimple RTK which doesn't use that in its setup.

Think you probably would need a firmware upgrade to your existing GPS units to go to that point.

No haven't see that as of yet. Haven't played with GPS except for Ardusimple RTK which doesn't use that in its setup.

Think you probably would need a firmware upgrade to your existing GPS units to go to that point.

I've also been using the Ardusimple and assumed that UBX-CFG-VALSET would be the preferred method with the ZED-F9P and any future receivers.

Just found this in the latest F9P manual for UBX-CFG-MSG:
This message is deprecated in protocol versions greater than 23.01. Use UBX-CFG-VALSET, UBX-CFGVALGET, UBX-CFG-VALDEL instead.

So I think it depends on the protocol version that your UBLOX GPS is running. So I think to be more accurate you are going to have to deal with cases where you haven't updated your firmware(which I have had problems with on some units) and do a UBX-MON-VER and get the version. If its > 23.01 use UBX-CFG-VALSET, UBX-CFGVALGET, UBX-CFG-VALDEL

Back