Teensy++ 2.0: Counterfeit confirmation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boresubo

Hi,

I bought a "Teensy++ 2.0" from a Chinese seller at Ebay (!). I suspect it's a counterfeit. Upon closer inspection there are several discrepancies from the official pictures:

- Different routing
- Component placements and appearances. Some components are poorly aligned or soldered.
- "Gold" colored usb socket
- Text on the MCU differs
- Push button looks different
- et cetera

DSC01495.jpgDSC01502.jpgDSC01503.jpg

Could someone please confirm my suspicion? I just want to make sure it's just not a just a different board revision.

If so, surely I acted naively and apologize deeply. I understand that piracy hurts you and take up valuable time. I will also make sure to reclaim my money and buy from a official distributor next time.

Yup, it's a counterfeit.

If the seller does not immediately refund, I'd recommend starting a dispute on Paypal. Don't let them give you excuse after excuse. It's only a delay tactic, in hopes you'll give up. These people are shameless crooks, so often reporting them to Paypal is only way to get your money back.

Ok, so I was able to get my money back. At first the seller offered me a full refund by returning the item with tracking mail. That would probably have cost more than I paid for the item. However, Ebay's "money back guarantee" states that for counterfeit items the buyer is not required to return the item so by escalating the case I was able to get a full refund.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry you had to escalate the case, but I'm glad to hear you were able to get a full refund and not have to pay to return a counterfeit item.

I bought a Teensy++ 2.0 from eBay a couple of weeks ago, and had issues with unstable serial communication.
Then after inspection of the board, I found that pin F3 is incorrectly labeled as E3 (see photo).
After coming to this forum, I realize that I probably bought a counterfeit. Could you confirm?

counterfeit.jpg

For your information: I now ordered a genuine Teensy++ 2.0 from an official Dutch reseller (floris.cc).

Thanks!

Yes, confirmed, that is a counterfeit.

If possible, give negative feedback on ebay to help warn others about this seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back