my windows 10 Device Manager does not display the USBSerial port of my Teensy 2++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am new here, I just bought a Teensy 2++ yesterday. After successful download and installation of Teensduino vr. 1.45, on my Arduino IDE ver 1.8.9, My Windows Device Manager failed to report my Teensy's USB Serial port, although upon plugging the device into the PC's USB port, a fleeting pop up screen correctly identify the device. I use an ON 2.0 USB HUB, with for ports to connect to the PC's USB port. Other devices typically connected to the rest of the ports, like an Arduino UNO R3, an Arduino NANO, and an Arduino PRO MINI, are correctly identified and each assigned its own port, with the exception of the Teensy. the same thing happens when I remove the USB Hub, and plug the device directly in the PC's USB port, Also when I change the USB cable. As a result I am unable to upload Arduino sketches on my Teensy. In the Arduino IDE/Tools it reports Board: "Teensy 3.2/3.1" , USB Type: "Serial", CPU Speed: "16 MHZ (No USB)", Port: "hid#vid_16c0&pid_0486 RawHID (Teensy)"
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

This is normal behavior. Teensy is not natively a serial device. It only becomes a serial device when you upload from Arduino, and only if the Tools > USB Type menu is set to one of the options with "Serial".

First, make sure you select the correct Teensy board in Tools > Boards. Select that ""hid#vid_16c0&pid_0486 RawHID (Teensy)" device in Tools > Ports.

Then just open the LED blink example. Double check that Tools > USB Type is set to Serial. Then click Upload.

If you are using an older version of Windows, DO NOT interfere with the process of Windows detecting the new device. Windows 7 is particularly slow. Allow it to finish. Don't unplug the USB cable or click more buttons in Arduino while Windows is doing its thing!

If the Arduino upload doesn't work automatically, after several seconds you'll see a message in Arduino's lower black console section advising you to press the button on your Teensy. Usually uploading is able to start automatically, but we make every Teensy with a pushbutton dedicated to putting the hardware into programming mode, so you can recover from previously-written code which does things like ignore or turn off the USB port.

Hi,
I am new here, I just bought a Teensy 2++ yesterday.
[...]
In the Arduino IDE/Tools it reports Board: "Teensy 3.2/3.1" , USB Type: "Serial", CPU Speed: "16 MHZ (No USB)", Port: "hid#vid_16c0&pid_0486 RawHID (Teensy)"

I think what you're seeing is not the "report". That's just the std selection after installing Teensyduino. Just select "Teensy++ 2.0" from the menu, and upload the Blink-Sketch from Examples->Teensy->Tutorial 1" (edit ledPin to const int ledPin = 6; )

Teensy 2.0+ + port ID issue resolved, thank you for your help Paul Stoffregen

This is normal behavior. Teensy is not natively a serial device. It only becomes a serial device when you upload from Arduino, and only if the Tools > USB Type menu is set to one of the options with "Serial".

First, make sure you select the correct Teensy board in Tools > Boards. Select that ""hid#vid_16c0&pid_0486 RawHID (Teensy)" device in Tools > Ports.

Then just open the LED blink example. Double check that Tools > USB Type is set to Serial. Then click Upload.

If you are using an older version of Windows, DO NOT interfere with the process of Windows detecting the new device. Windows 7 is particularly slow. Allow it to finish. Don't unplug the USB cable or click more buttons in Arduino while Windows is doing its thing!

If the Arduino upload doesn't work automatically, after several seconds you'll see a message in Arduino's lower black console section advising you to press the button on your Teensy. Usually uploading is able to start automatically, but we make every Teensy with a pushbutton dedicated to putting the hardware into programming mode, so you can recover from previously-written code which does things like ignore or turn off the USB port.

Ok I did not know "Teensy is not natively a serial device". Then I failed to identify the Teensy board under Arduino IDE Tools/Board as Teensy 2.0 ++ It was left as Teensy3.2/3.1, or maybe I did set it like that. The other issue I had after I took care of resolving that matter was that when the Teensy pop up window came up asking to "pressButton on Teensy to manually enter Program mode " displaying: blink_fast_Teensy32.hex, when I looked in the directory of the blink_fast, there was no executable file in it only blink.ino , which I loaded on Teensy but it did not seem to work naturally because Teensy was asking for an executable file. It was impossible to locate an executable file even using the flie/open menu of the Arduino IDE, looking in my relatively large downloads files directory it was like looking for a needle in a a pile of hay. So trying to locate the correct file blink_fast_Teensy32.hex consumed 99% of my efforts to resolve the issue at hand. Finally the whole issue has been resolved successfully At any rate thanks again for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back