Teensy 4.0 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackketter

Congratulations on releasing Teensy 4.0. I just got my shipping confirmation and am very excited!

Where and when can we expect technical information and software to be posted for the released product?

(I see the ~4000 post beta thread so maybe this new thread will be a good place post schematics, release notes, etc...)

Just ordered 2 a bit ago. For some reason the product page showed two front views of the Welcome to Teensy 4.0 pages when I looked earlier

Last edited:
For some reason the product page showed two front views of the Welcome to Teensy 4.0 pages when I looked earlier

Opps, that was a mistake on my part. Fixed it.

Our server was struggling to keep up with the load. So I copied the product page's 4 images to this forum's server. But I made a copy-paste error along the way editing the html.

I just ordered 4, i have been looking forward to this! quick question, the teensy 4 page shows the top side pins in both pictures instead of the usual top and bottom, I just want to confirm that the extra pin next to the ground at the top right is the aref.

Thanks for all your hard work Paul and the beta testers and library authors.

More or less the same questions as the others..
Yay Paul for the work on the 4.0.. My current project was going to migrate to a linux board as I was out of clock cycles and optimizing tricks. Now I don't think I will have to. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I just ordered 2, and I am wondering where/ when the schematic might be posted; I am doing some capture byte wide data and it is always easier to find pins on the same port than to shuffle bits after.

Another project uses the internal counters of a 3.6 for quadrature encoder counting; does the 4.0 have that in hardware, or will I be staying with the 3.6/3.5 for that?

Again,
Many thanks Paul and beta testers for your hard work. I really appreciate having something this fast to play with.

Luc

I learned about the Teensy after the 3.2 was released and I loved the hardware, platform, and community. So when the 3.5/3.6 Kickstarter happened I jumped on it and I was thrilled with how PJRC managed it and delivered early - very uncommon for Kickstarters in my experience. But I have to say this is even better. I found out about the 4.0 launch this morning (after some level of following beta testing since it started and much anticipation ever since it was first announced) and I ordered immediately. My order has shipped the same day. PJRC once again sets the bar in the world of hobbyist mcu boards/platforms. Thanks again Paul and the rest of PJRC and all the testers! I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do with my new board first, but I'm excited to figure it out lol.

I just noticed the updated back side graphic, i guess there is no more external AREF? is there a way to get the same sort of performance from the ADCs with potentiometers across a 3 or 3.3v supply?

Quick dumb question, I see the blurb says it has two USB high speed ports, does it support a USB host port like the 3.6 ?
As was already mentioned, yes it does have USB Host support. There are two pads on the bottom of the T4, under the Other USB connector for the USB host (D+ and D-). Then on the Beta carrier boards (and mine), the +5v that is passed to the USB Host, we go through another chip to help control how much current... The one I ordered is: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=296-3418-5-ND‎

There is sort of a schematic that I believe @mjs513 did in the huge beta thread, which I believe @Paul made some suggestions on.

And I forgot to mention, that you use the same library for this: USBHost_t36

And during this time frame a lot of new support was added.

Looks great, I've ordered a couple. Thanks for all the hard work to bring this to us.

A quick question - does it work with the Audio Adapter Board?

Cheers, Paul

Looks great, I've ordered a couple. Thanks for all the hard work to bring this to us.

Cheers, Paul
you need the latest Rev C of the audio adaptor (has 100 ohm resistor on MCLK). not all of audio lib is working ...

EDIT: actually,audio adaptor won't work (see post #16 below). it worked with special breakout boards that Paul provided...

Last edited:
Greetings!

I just installed the latest Teensyduino installer, and after running it, I only see up to Teensy 3.6 available for board selection in the Arduino IDE (ver 1.8.9). Will the Teensy 4.0 board be supported soon?

Cheers, Paul
Note, the pinout is different between the 3.2/3.5/3.6 and the 4.0 that means you can't just plunk the audio shield on top of or underneath the Teensy and just connect the 28 pins. This is due to the 4.0 not having the alternate SPI pins and the I2S pins got moved. The beta testers got a shield with an audio board that connected the appropriate pins. I don't know if there will be an official version of the shield from PJRC or not. If not, I assume somebody will design the appropriate PCB.

And as Manitou says, you also need to connect a 100 ohm resistor if you have the older audio board.

I have a google spreadsheet that I try to keep the pin assignments between the various Teensy 3.x/LC/4.0 processors. I believe I have the updates in place for 4.0:

If you are attempting to move a Teensy 4.0 to a PCB/breadboard layout designed for an earlier Teensy you should note some of the differences. While there are differences, there is a lot that is the same:
  • For serial UARTs, only Serial1 is in the same position (pins 0 & 1);
  • The Serial2 pins on 4.0 are in the same position as Serial3 in 3.2/3.5/3.6/LC, so you should be able to use #ifdef's to switch between the two;
  • The Teensy 4 has 3 more UART ports on pins 14-17, and 20-21 that are not in the same position on the other Teensys (there are other UARTs using the underneath pads);
  • I don't believe the Teensy 4.0 has a hardware CTS port like the 3.2/3.5/3.6 did;
  • The Teensy 4.0 does not have a DAC output pin, so the connection on the prop shield and Adafruit feather wing adapter that uses this pin won't work;
  • The Teensy 4.0 does have more PWM pins than the older processors. For pins 0-12, all pins are PWM capable (so any pin in 0-12 used as PWM will work for the T4). On the analog side, only 3 pins (14, 22, 23) have PWM support on all Teensys;
  • The Teensy 4.0 does not support the touch sensor;
  • The Teensy 4.0 does not support 3 of the 4 inner pins (A10, A11, AREF), but it does have the VUSB pin in the expected place, and there is a solder jumper to disconnect VUSB and VIN;
  • The Teensy 4.0 is 3.3v only;
  • As I alluded to in the previous post, the Teensy 4.0 only supports SPI0 on the standard ports (MOSI: 11, MISO: 12, SCK: 13). Unlike the 3.2/3.5/3.6, I believe there is only one 'fast' CS port (pin 10). Pins 2, 6, 9, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23 are no longer fast ports for optimized display drivers. Unfortunately this means the audio shield will need some rewiring;
  • There is a second and third SPI port using some of the underneath pins. Note, two of the pins for SPI1 are on pins 0 (CS) and 1 (MOSI1), but that is not indicated in the current pinout card;
  • On the other Teensys pins 16-17 are alternate pins for the first I2C bus. On the Teensy 4.0, pins 16-17 are the second I2C bus;
  • The pins for I2S are all different (this along with the lack of alternate SPI ports is problematical for the audio shield connected directly);
  • The pin in the 3.2/LC back that used to be the DAT is now an on/off switch. If you connect it to ground, it will turn off after a few seconds, and if you press it again, it will power on the Teensy;
  • The Teensy 4.0 has both double and single floating point, while the 3.5 and 3.6 only supported single floating point in hardware, a compiler option was used in 3.x/LC to make all FP constants single precision, and this might cause some subtle errors on T4 where I believe the option is not used.

Last edited:
It´s alive!!!!

Congratulations for the hard work!.

One question: Which microSD socket do you recommend to use?

Any link?

Here's a bunch of quick answers....

I am wondering where/ when the schematic might be posted

The schematic is likely sometime next week. No schematic has been drawn yet, so it's going to take a little while.

I found out about the 4.0 launch this morning (after some level of following beta testing since it started and much anticipation ever since it was first announced) and I ordered immediately. My order has shipped the same day.

We managed to ship almost all the orders placed in the first ~4 hours after the announcement.

Robin & Angel are testing and packaging more T4s right now and we're going to package up as many of today's orders as we can this evening. You probably won't be seeing a lot of writing from me for a little while....

the blurb says it has two USB high speed ports, does it support a USB host port like the 3.6 ?

Yes, it supports USB host with the same USBHost_t36 library, but the hardware support is not exactly like Teensy 3.6.

On 3.6 you get a USB current limit chip and 5 through-hole locations to solder a connector. On Teensy 4.0 the 2nd USB port signals just come to pads on the bottom of the board. It's a much more DIY approach. For the beta test, we had boards with pogo pins to touch those pads, and that board added a TPS2055A current limit switch. You might manage to get by without a current limit chip, but the experience isn't much fun because hot-plugging a USB device can draw too much current and possibly crash (brown-out reset) your Teensy.

I just noticed the updated back side graphic, i guess there is no more external AREF? is there a way to get the same sort of performance from the ADCs with potentiometers across a 3 or 3.3v supply?

Indeed this chip doesn't support AREF at all. The ADC always uses the 3.3V power as its reference.

So yes, you can read pots connected between 3.3V and GND.

But also no, not quite. The ADC in this new chip is much faster, but its resolution isn't as good as the ones on Teensy 3.x. The effective number of bits is about 10. NXP calls it 12 bits, but then they also call the one in the Kinetis chips 16 bits.

you need the latest Rev C of the audio adaptor (has 100 ohm resistor on MCLK). not all of audio lib is working ...

EDIT: actually,audio adaptor won't work (see post #16 below). it worked with special breakout boards that Paul provided...

Yup. We're planning a Rev D version later this month, which will be the exact same hardware but with the signals routed to the correct pins for Teensy 4.0.

In the beta, we actually used Rev B audio boards. The beta test board connected them and had a 100 ohm resistor on the MCLK pin. We recently updated the audio shield to Rev C, which just added that 100 ohm resistor, so if you wire it up to a Teensy 4.0 on a breadboard or any other way where you connect the signals to the right places, it will "just work".

If you have a Rev B audio shield, you'll need to add the wires and add a 100 ohm resistor in series with MCLK.

I only see up to Teensy 3.6 available for board selection in the Arduino IDE (ver 1.8.9). Will the Teensy 4.0 board be supported soon?

Yes, some some definition of "soon". Likely Friday morning.

Does the Teensy 4.0 accept 5.0V on ADC pins or just 3.3V?

No, absolutely not. Except the VIN and VUSB pins, nothing is 5V tolerant on these new parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back