Step past Arduino enviroment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denz

I'd like to use some IDE like IAR or Keil or something to just wean myself out of using the Arduino environment.
I see they all have free versions, but which one makes sense for me using Teensy3, and a newbie like myself can set up?

I like plain ol' GCC on Linux, but I'm old and use Emacs. I'd be a little leery of using a free version of a commercial tool. Maybe it's a reasonable choice for a Windows user, but if you're using Linux anyway, it seems like GCC would be the way to go.

Hi all, best wishes,

Just FMI, why do you want to "wean out of the Arduino environment" ? (Plenty of possible/very good reasons, but each time I tried I came back ;-)

The sample makefile in hardware/teensy/cores/teensy3 is meant to help you build without Arduino.

A first step is merely running make from the command line.

The next step, if you prefer a pretty IDE instead of the spartan command line, is probably one of these:

http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/1474-Anyone-using-Eclipse-for-development

http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/169-embedXcode-Teensy-3-0-on-Xcode

Edit: another option, if Arduino's primitive text editor drives you crazy, but you're otherwise ok with Arduino, is the external editor option. Enable it from File > Preferences. It disables Arduino's editor, so you can edit the files with a good text editor (I personally use vim). Every time you click Verify or Upload, Arduino will re-read the files which you've saved from your nice editor.

Last edited:
I do personal stuff in Arduino and like it. A debugger would be nice though.

At work we use Microchip/MPLAB for pics. We also are starting to do Arm stuff, so it would be nice to try and know more of that world. Being comfortable in a standard IDE like IAR or Keil would be good, so I am using Teensy3 to help me get comfortable there.

It looks like they support the processor, so I want to learn how to set it up.

old post, but...

Having used IAR and AVR Studio 6 and emIDE/Code::blocks. I sure want to to Teensy 3 (and 2) C++ development with a real C++ editor, not a simple text editor. I use Progrmmer's Notepad - but it doesn't do cross-file references and so on.

I read about the plugin for Window Visual studio - but from reading/trying, the only way to use that is via Atmel's Studio (for AVR and Atmel ARM), as I have no VS license and the Express editions don't allow plug-ins.

emIDE with G++/GCC - is just fine, if I could know how to get that IDE setup to go for Teensy 3.

If you're not comfortable with emacs or you want more frills, and you're stuck with Windows (ugh), it's Eclipse all the way. In linux, kate is pretty darn good. I think you can run kate under X11 using cygwin on Windows.

There are several Eclipse alternatives - Code::Blocks and derivatives emIDE and others. I haven't gotten any of these to fully work yet, starting with the good work of others here w/Eclipse.

In the past I've been looking for the perfect text/code editor for a while. I tried eclipse, komodo, vim, notepad++, textmate and eventually I found sublime text and the search is over. It's extremely powerful while being simple to use and it runs on all major platforms. There are plugins for a lot of things including arduino development. You can try it for free !

I tried the "sublime" text editor.
It's not an IDE... just an editor. A nice one. Certainly not $70 more than Programmer's Notepad et al (free).
Functionally about the same as Programmer's Notepad and Programmer's Notepad++, which use for some things.

But these are editors, not parsing IDE editors like Eclipse and others I've attempted to use, and not like the IDEs from IAR and Keil.
I'm so accustomed to right-clicking on a symbol and choose "go to definition" whatever file that is, or "list all references" in context of C or C++.

Not sure when you tried Sublime Text but it now has goto defenition, it has a lot of ide features now, especially with plugins.

I downloaded just yesterday. I suppose I'm unconvinced to pay $70 for its license when it isn't remarkable superior to freeware.

nlecaude -

Thanks for hanging in there. I'm going to take a look in the morning...

best regards,

Paul,

Your Makefile appears to be incomplete, it does not pull in the various libraries. You recognise this in a comment:

# automatically create lists of the sources and objects
# TODO: this does not handle Arduino libraries yet...

Is there any chance of you being able to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not planning to work on the Makefile again anytime soon. But if you or anyone else were to contribute patches, I'd be happy to include them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back