Teensy 3.0 as flight controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any benefits using baseflight on Teensy instead of something like Afro Mini (which is cheaper and already has sensors)?

Or is it mostly just for fun?

Yes for fun; keeping up with HW/SW skills, but also using cheap receiver has only PWM outputs a PWM/PPM encoder is needed with Afro mini.

Last edited:
Hello, first off great job on your project. I'd like to get some input from you on my current project as well. I'm working on a micro H-quad based on the carbon h frame from micro motor warehouse and the chaoli brushed 08-15 motors. I'm also using an MPU 6050 and a bluetooth module for my rc control. I've also written an android app that I use to control the quad with. Do you have any suggestions on making the serial communication faster, or atleast sending commands to the quads faster? Currently it reads the Bluetooth serial channel every loop and reads one byte. My app is sending a string like this: T50Y20P10R0E, so that means throttle at 50, yaw at 20, pitch at 10 and roll at 0, E is the end command. So my quad parses that one character at a time, so once it sees the T, everything after it is added to char buffer array for the throttle, then it reads Y and addes the 2 and the 0 to a yaw char buffer array and so on. Once it reads the E, the char arrays are converted to numbers (atoi or atod functions) and then the control inputs are updated. This works ok for small changes and for slow changes, but when I change things rapidly it seems to miss commands and it will change the throttle to 0 so in mid flight my quad will cut the motors. Any suggestions on this? I see in your code you have an optimization for the serial communication (SerialCommunication.h), would something like that work for me?

Also, how did you tune your PID values? I'm currently only using the gyro to try and get acro mode working and it flys for maybe 3-10 seconds before I can't really control it. Part of the problem is the issue I described above where I can't really control it, but it is also not as stable as I would like. I'm going to implement auto level mode as well but would like to get gyro only working as well. Currently I only have P values set and 1 or 2 I values are done, but these haven't been well tuned.

I'm also running on a single cell lipo (490 mAh) and the parrot rolling spider props.

Also, do you think that increasing the resolution of the PWM (Teensy supports up to 16 bit PWM) would allow for finer control of the motors? (I'm using PWM and mosfets to control the micro brushed motors)

Compiling the Phoenix Flight Controller code I get a "mpu6050_10DOF_stick_px01.h" not found. I can find that file, but I am not sure of what to do with it. Is there a library that includes the file that should be installed?

Long time ago...
The library folders of the project has to the copied to the lib folder of arduino. "mpu6050_10DOF_stick_px01.h" is found in the "p6dof" folder.

I'm unable to use the phoenix configurator, when I open it up theres no information in the COM box and nothing seems to do anything. Is there some special way its meant to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back