Teensy 3.0 Beta12 Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, you can *add* compiler options, by editing hardware/teensy/boards.txt & restarting Arduino, to add (e.g.)
teensy3.build.cppoption2=-O3
teensy3.build.cppoption3=-ffunctions-section
etc, (just increment the number for each option you add). For example I've found it useful to dump an assembler output instead of actually compiling, by
teensy3.build.cppoption<N>=-S
If the Arduino IDE leaves the objects around, you can use the -save-temps option that leaves a .ii and .s file in the directory the build was done, but it still does the compile (.ii is the output after the pre-processing has been done, .s is the assembler input file). Using teensy 3.0 build 1.12 you can use -save-temps=obj (-save-temps has a problem if you have the same name being compiled in different subdirectories, while -save-temps=obj leaves the .ii/.s files in the output directory, and not the current directory, but honestly most of the Arduino/teensy stuff I've seen does not do things like use -j<n> with several builds each with different -o <dir>/<file>.o at the same time). Unfortunately, if you are using the AVR compiler, you probably can't use -save-temps=obj, at least until the Arduino folk decide to upgrade compilers.

Last edited:
I get these, I guess they're warnings, when I compile my program for the Teensy3.0

Code:
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/as: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/as)
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/as: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/as)
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld)
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy)
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy)

When I compile the same code for the Mega2560, it compiles with no warnings. Also these warnings popped up when I moved to arduino1.0.3/teensy-beta-12, I did not have these warnings with arduino1.0.1/teensy-beta-11. Any ideas?

Last edited:
The error message is that it is looking for libz, which is a library for doing compression and decompression, which is not supplied by the arm toolchain, so it decided to pick up /lib/libz.so.1 from your host OS. Unless you are running on a native arm system, it is extremely unlikely that using the host library will work. You need to find and remove any -lz from the link line.

I was referring to the error messages in your last post, where you were using the Arm toolchain and were getting errors on: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available. I was telling you what the error meant (that the linker was trying to read host libraries for something intended for an Arm microprocessor).

I'm referring to your last sentence:

"You need to find and remove any -lz from the link line"

Again, I don't know what "link line" you are referring to. I use the Arduino IDE to compile and upload, not the command line.

OK, I went back and compiled my program with the arduino-1.0.3/beta-10 IDE combination, and it compiled with no errors or warnings, with a sketch size of 18,452 and estimated memory use of 7,460.

With arduino-1.03/beta11 the warnings show up:
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3-beta11/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/as: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3-beta11/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/as)
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3-beta11/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3-beta11/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld)
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3-beta11/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3-beta11/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy)
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3-beta11/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3-beta11/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy)
Opening Teensy Loader...
Binary sketch size: 18,460 bytes (of a 131,072 byte maximum)
Estimated memory use: 7,648 bytes (of a 16,384 byte maximum)

The same program under arduino-1.0.3/beta-12 IDE:
/home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/teensypi/arduino-1.0.3/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld)
Opening Teensy Loader...
Binary sketch size: 18,452 bytes (of a 131,072 byte maximum)
Estimated memory use: 7,460 bytes (of a 16,384 byte maximum)

Both sets of warnings have been considerably shortened to meet character length requirements for the post.

All versions "appear" to be running properly.

Any other thoughts / suggestions?

Could you try the same thing on a different linux distro, like a recent Ubuntu?

My best guess is there's some minor and harmless issue with Centos's libz.so not being quite as expected. Maybe?

Centos 6.3 is the only distro I have running at this time, I'll try setting up an old laptop later this week.

Just an FYI, I updated to CentOS 6.4, which included an updated zlib, and the errors (warnings?) no longer appear. It also works fine with 1.0.4/Teensyduino1.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back