embedXcode: Teensy 3.0 on Xcode

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I am having similar issues. Clean install as of today with Xcode (apple) and your plugin (downloaded 20s ago). Here is the output when I try to build the Test Blink program:
ExternalBuildToolExecution All
cd "/Users/CvW/Documents/Arduino - Spark/Test/Test"
export ACTION=
export ALTERNATE_GROUP=staff
export ALTERNATE_MODE=u+w,go-w,a+rX
export ALTERNATE_OWNER=CvW

---- Board ----
Name Teensy 3.1
Frequency 96000000
MCU cortex-m4
Flash memory 262144 bytes
SRAM memory 65536 bytes
---- Port ----
Uploader teensy_flash
Serial
---- Libraries ----
. Core libraries from /Applications/Arduino
Arduino AudioStream Client DMAChannel HardwareSerial IPAddress IntervalTimer Print Printable SPIFIFO Server Stream Udp WCharacter WConstants WProgram WString arm_common_tables arm_math avr_emulation avr_functions binary core_cm4 core_cm4_simd core_cmInstr core_id core_pins elapsedMillis keylayouts kinetis math_helper mk20dx128 new pins_arduino usb_desc usb_dev usb_flightsim usb_joystick usb_keyboard usb_mem usb_midi usb_mouse usb_names usb_rawhid usb_seremu usb_serial wiring wiring_private avr/eeprom avr/interrupt avr/io avr/pgmspace avr/sleep avr/wdt util/atomic util/crc16 util/delay util/parity
. Application libraries from /Applications/Arduino
. User libraries from /Users/CvW/Documents/Arduino
. Local libraries from /Users/CvW/Documents/Arduino - Spark/Test/Test/Test
LocalLibrary
---- Tools ----
Mac OS X 10.10.1 (14B25)
Xcode 6.1.1 (6A2008a)
embedXcode 241
Teensy 1.0.5
arm-none-eabi-gcc (PJRC Build of GNU Toolchain from CodeSourcery) 4.7.2
==== Info done ====
==== All ====
---- Clean ----

---- Size ----
Binary sketch size: 5672 bytes (of a 262144 byte maximum)

Estimated SRAM used: 2124 bytes (of a 65536 byte maximum)

Elapsed time: 12.2 s
---- Reset ----
screen -X kill
No screen session found.

make: [reset] Error 1 (ignored)
sleep 1
---- Upload ----
10.12-UPLOAD: < teensy31 ./
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/teensy_post_compile -file=embeddedcomputing -path=/Users/CvW/Documents/ ./ Spark/Test/Test/Test/Builds/ -tools=/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools
Teensy Loader could not find the file embeddedcomputing
make: *** [raw_upload] Error 1
Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make failed with exit code 2

Last edited:
Constantin's issue has nothing to do with previous one from MacroMachines.

Have you gone through the section Find Solutions to Issues?

It clearly states

Avoid Spaces and Special Characters in Projects Name and Path
The standard IDEs, as well as the tool-chains they use, don’t support spaces and special characters in the name and path of the project, although embedXcode manages them.
A good idea is to replace spaces by underscores. For example, rename embed 1 to embed_1.
In order to ensure compatibility, it is highly recommended to avoid spaces and special characters in the name and path of the projects.

The path of your project /Users/CvW/Documents/Arduino - Spark/Test/Test/Test contains two spaces. Here, the tool from Teensy doesn't like spaces.

Okie dokie, will try that next...

... and it worked! Yay! At least for the blink program. Now for something more complicated, i.e. a program with a library.

If this works as intended, I'm sending you the 99 bucks even for a hobbyist application.

Last edited:
No not kidding, I downloaded and installed the newest one that was there, I am not sure where to find the version number, I looked a few places for the version number on the site and on the software.

No not kidding, I downloaded and installed the newest one that was there, I am not sure where to find the version number, I looked a few places for the version number on the site and on the software.

On the website, the latest release number is mentioned on the blog. The installation packages only include the major and minor revision numbers, i.e. 240 for version 2.4, even if patches are applied e.g. 2.4.1.

On the software, most of the information is provided under the Tools section on the Report navigator.
---- Tools ----
Mac OS X 10.10.1 (14B25)
MacBook Pro 13" (Late 2012)
Xcode 6.1.1 (6A2008a)
embedXcode+ 241
Energia 0101E0014
arm-none-eabi-gcc (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors) 4.8.4 20140725

Hi there. All well here except for one issue that is driving me up the wall. Including user-defined libraries is simply not working for me. The libraries are in a folder called Libraries inside the Arduino Sketch folder (i.e. /Documents/Arduino/Libraries). I have no issues with them getting found in the Arduino IDE (i.e. #include <SPI.h>, for example) but in xCode, the builder claims that the library cannot be found.

Some googling suggests that I should be modifying the "Header Search Paths". FWIW, I modified the User Header Search Paths to include recursive searching of the Library folder, i.e. /Users/xxx/Documents/Arduino/Libraries/**

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to do this correctly, it seems. Do you have any suggestions or a tutorial on that issue?

Last edited:
Please refer to the chapters • sections of the User Manual:
  • Install the Template • Install the IDEs of the Boards • Install the Teensy Platform
  • Use the Project • Add Libraries to the Project
  • Use the Project • Add Libraries to the Project • Include Libraries to the Main Sketch and Header Files
  • Use the Project • Add Libraries to the Project • List the Libraries on the Main makefile
  • Build and Upload the Project • Manage the Libraries for Compilation
  • Build and Upload the Project • Manage the Libraries for Compilation • Select the Libraries for Compilation

Hi Avenue 33,

Thanks for the response and on further reading, I figured it out. I forgot to manually add the libraries I wanted to use to the makefile. In retrospect, I understand why the makers of xCode configured the system that way (i.e. you have to explicitly list the libraries, making it more difficult to select the wrong one inadvertently) but this adds to the steep learning curve for folk who are new to xCode. After all, the Arduino IDE doesn't feature a makefile modification requirement, though at the risk of duplicate Libraries potentially confusing the user or the compiler.

For anyone considering EmbeddedXCode:
Despite the steep learning curve, the xCode environment is truly a huge step up in terms of its functionality over the Arduino IDE. If you are a Mac user, definitely try it out. While dealing with some of the plumbing can be annoying and vexing at times, the ease with which one can code is impressive.

Some day, I may even use some of the more sophisticated features such as external debugging (good luck!) but I figure there is plenty of work ahead integrating my various efforts into a coherent set of libraries that can then be leveraged. xCode makes that effort much easier.

EmbeddedXCode enables us to leverage the xCode IDE across a plethora of platforms, including Diligent, Maple, AVR, mbed, Spark, etc (the list is impressive!) Thus, you can explore far more platforms with the help of embeddedXCode while only having to learn one IDE. That alone is worth a great deal and the Hobbyist pricing is more than fair.

Thank you, Avenue 33!

Last edited:
You're welcome! I'm glad it works now. Thank you for the accolade.

Enumerating in the makefile the libraries to be used is a standard procedure followed by many IDEs.

Arduino hides this step by an under-the-hood process, among many other cases. Unfortunately as a consequence, this hidden process doesn't take into account the conditional pre-processing statements.

embedXcode allows to select each library in a very precise way. For example, you can have different versions of the same library, each one in a different folder. You simply select the library by providing the name of its folder to the variables APP_LIBS_LIST, USER_LIBS_LIST and/or LOCAL_LIBS_LIST.

The benefits outpace the learning curve.

Please find a new release of embedXcode.

• embedXcode • Mar 02, 2015 release 2.6.3 • Stability improvement for Arduino 1.6.0
  • embedXcode+ • Mar 02, 2015 release 2.6.3 • Stability improvement for Arduino 1.6.0
  • embedXcode Tools • Jan 08, 2015 release 250 • Updated pre-compiled frameworks
Release 2.6.3 improves stability for Arduino 1.6.0.

Not all the plug-ins are compatible with Arduino 1.6.0, so please refrain from updating them. Section Install the Template • Install the IDEs of the Boards • Check the IDE and Plug-In Options lists the recommended versions of the Arduino IDE for each plug-in.

6716440_orig.png

Download

Avenue33:
I have already paid for embedXcode+. Are you suggesting I am required to pay again for this update?

Thanks,
Freddie

Please find a new release of embedXcode.

• embedXcode • May 18, 2015 release 289 • Added support for Teensy LC and updated support for 1.6.1 or 1.7 Arduino IDE plug-ins
  • embedXcode+ • May 18, 2015 release 289 • Added support for Teensy LC and updated support for 1.6.1 or 1.7 Arduino IDE plug-ins

Release 2.8.9 adds support for the Teensy LC board. The Teensy 3.0 and 3.1 are very popular among the embedXcode users and the Teensy LC is a welcomed addition.

Release 2.8.9 also updates support for the plug-ins running on Arduino 1.6.1 or 1.7.x, including Adafruit, Cosa, LightBlue, panStamp, RedBearLab, RFduino, Teensy.

Finally, release 2.8.9 brings support for Particule, the new name of Spark. I'm still waiting for the Photon so I can add support for it.

Download

Last edited:
I've tried logging into Freshdesk to submit a new support ticket but I don't seem to be able to get through / in.

I am currently flummoxed by an error that seems odd. My machine is running 10.10.3, Arduino 1.06, Teensyduino 1.23, and embedxcode 289. However, if I select a new project with Teensy LC as a target and subsequently try to build the default INO file, I get the error "TeensyLC board is unknown. Stop." in Step1.mk. Any idea why this is happening? Should I try Arduino 1.61?

I'm sorry the help portal doesn't work fine.

Yes, Arduino 1.6.1 has a different inner structure far different from Arduino 1.0.6. embedXcode no longer supports Arduino 1.0.6. Could you please try with Arduino 1.6.1 and let me know?

Interesting. I removed Arduino 1.06, installed 1.6.1, reinstalled teensyduino and embedxcode 289 and now the blank LC file compiles - so far, so good. Edit: Got bit by multi-word file name again. Teensy 3.x compiles OK as well. Apologies.

If it's not in there, it would be a good idea to put into the release notes for 290 that Arduino 1.6.1 is required for the LC.

Last edited:
Does the path or the name of your project include a blank space or a special character?

The path to the project seems very strange.

Code:
-path=/Users/CvW/Documents/Arduino/PowerMeter/ ./ Master/ ./ Master/ ./ Master/

Avenue33, regarding your user manual, I have tried the iBooks app and it has to be the absolutely least feature rich app on the face of the planet. The best that I can say for it is that it is completely useless. There are three things that would make the pdf version of your manual MUCH more usable - higher resolution graphics, working links (the ones that are already in the manual) and links to jump over all the platforms that one may not be using. FWIW, I just bought the embedXcode+.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back