Teensy 3.0 -> Small-Scale Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revised PCB design.

Includes holes (0.12" for #4 screws) and PWM markers (~).

Cost is up to $12 from a little under $8 due to the size increase.

What do you think?
I like it. I probably will go for two initially. Now to decide whether to desolder the pins from my current two teensy's or just order 2 more.

I assume the 3 pins near the corners (GND, VIN, and VBAT) are actually far enough away that I could put a male header pin and solder it to the board while still using the standoff? They look a little close on the picture.

What do you think?

Looks great!

Even though I don't think I'd need the screw holes, I'm happy with paying a little more for this (might turn out useful at a later time).
I would like to get 3 in total.

My situation has changed somewhat, and the need to break out the bottom pads has become a bit more urgent than I was expecting.
Not that I'm telling you to hurry or anything, I should have realized my mistake earlier ;)

I sell on tindie.com breakout boards. https://tindie.com/shops/joni/teensy-30-to-dipbreadboard-board-kit/ or pm me

8387894582_0ed0395af5.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, I've been on the road for a week, and I made a mini-breakout much like HWGuy's! I think it's nice to have options.

Anyway, these will be available in a few weeks (at the end of March):

Teensy 3.0 Breakout

• Breaks out all internal pins and bottom pads
  • Provides one 3.3V pin and two GND pins
  • Dimensions: 3" x 1.3"
  • Four #4 screw holes tied to GND
  • Hole distances: 2.7" x 1" (center to center)
  • Price: $12 each
t3b.jpg

Teensy 3.0 Mini-Breakout

• Breaks out all internal pins and bottom pads
  • All original breakout pins are passed-through
  • Dimensions: 2.4" x 0.75"
  • Price: $6 each
t3mb.jpg

-Dan

I'm in sort of the same boat as the OP here, and the thought of just building a custom PCB and soldering the Teensy onto it was one of the most sensible options for my personal application. Do you give discounts on bulk orders, somewhere in the region of say 50-100 pcs to start with?

I'm also interested i the Mini54 chip whenever it comes out.

Hi,

My question is related to this topic so I'll post it here:
I'm considering using a Kinetis K10 in my project and the K20 datasheet states that "The K20 MCU family is pin, peripheral and software compatible with the K10 MCU family...". Does this meen that I could use the Teensyduino stack also with that CPU (minus the USB part)?

Thanks!
florin

I'm considering using a Kinetis K10 in my project and the K20 datasheet states that "The K20 MCU family is pin, peripheral and software compatible with the K10 MCU family...". Does this meen that I could use the Teensyduino stack also with that CPU (minus the USB part)?

Maybe. It might work. Of course, if it isn't compatible, you're pretty much on your own. I can't help.

But I can tell you the Mini54 depends on the K20's USB, so you'll need some other way to get your .hex file loaded onto the chip. Maybe a programmer from P&E Micro?

You'd probably have the easiest time developing most of the code on a Teensy 3.0, then try to port it to another chip after it's working.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, thanks for the quick response!
I'm actually in that phase now but I have been developing my project so far using Teensyduino and making heavy use of many libraries available there. So for porting the project: Would I have to bring all these libraries to the CodeWarrior DevStudio?
One challenge is indeed loading the code onto the MPU. Thanks for the pointer there, I also found that the Freedom board can be used to flashing a compatible target MPU.
Lots of moving parts...

hello,
I'm trying to realize a board for a small production for a pll project. My board will have MK20DX128 but no mini54 chipset, and I will program the board with ezport and .hex file compiled with teensy 3.0. I have a question: is it possible to use 20 MHz quarz instead of 16 MHz? I need it because I will realize a pll board and I need to use just one quarz for both pll chipset and MK20DX128...

I doubt it's as easy as modifying the hardware files in the Arduino/Teensy folder to incorporate the new frequencies. You are presupposing that all the bus clocks, etc. are set up to run at fractions / multiples of the master clock and that the timing/etc. auto-adjusts easily. That may, or may not, be the case. All depends on how Paul set up his files. I remember it took folk some time to get Arduino cores to run at speeds other than 8MHz and 16MHz. Might be trivial for someone like Paul, impossible for me.

Asking him to support a project for which he doesn't show a sale is perhaps a bit ambitious, IMO.

It's probably possible to run from a 20 MHz clock. But you're on your own. It's your design and you're not even buying a Mini54 from PJRC.

Maybe you can get someone from Freescale to give you some clock setup advice?

Of course, all the info you really need is in the chip's reference manual. That's all I did, go by the manual (never asked anyone at Freescale or anywhere else).

hello,
I'm trying to realize a board for a small production for a pll project. My board will have MK20DX128 but no mini54 chipset, and I will program the board with ezport and .hex file compiled with teensy 3.0. I have a question: is it possible to use 20 MHz quarz instead of 16 MHz? I need it because I will realize a pll board and I need to use just one quarz for both pll chipset and MK20DX128...
You want to take advantage of the free, open source software that took quite an effort to develop and that was developed to support the inexpensive products you can buy here but then will not buy any of these products and want even more free advice ?

Paul you said before:

One caveat is 8 bytes we program into the "program once" memory in every MK20DX128. Currently those bytes aren't being used, but future software versions will use the serial number for USB, and the ethernet library will use the mac address number. Later, if you're using a blank chip, you may need to modify that code to assign you own serial numbers or mac address.

Can you advise on how to set these values? Am I looking at the right #define statements that are in the kinetis.h?

#define SIM_UIDH (*(const uint32_t *)0x40048054) // Unique Identification Register High
#define SIM_UIDMH (*(const uint32_t *)0x40048058) // Unique Identification Register Mid-High
#define SIM_UIDML (*(const uint32_t *)0x4004805C) // Unique Identification Register Mid Low
#define SIM_UIDL (*(const uint32_t *)0x40048060) // Unique Identification Register Low

Would one just change these values in the kinetis.h? Aren't they set then every time you upload hex? Currently these values are the PRJC registered values?

Those 4 are programmed by Freescale. They can't ever be changed.

The ones programmed by PJRC are in special write-once memory. It's documented in the flash memory chapter of the reference manual. Look in usb_desc.c for the code which reads the serial number from this special memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back