Serial Monitor Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAK

System: Dell Latitude 400
Software:
Linux version 2.6.38-16-generic (buildd@panlong) (gcc version 4.5.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.5.2-8ubuntu4) ) #67-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 6 18:00:43 UTC 2012.
Using arduino-1.0.3-linux32.tgz and teensyduino.32bit. Have installed the udev rules.
The operating system reports /dev/ttyACM0 but the IDE and Serial Monitor do not find it. I've had this problem intermittently for some time but it's much worse with Teensy3 software. Any suggestions would be welcome.

FAK

I have had a similar problem with my Teensy3.0. The serial monitor in linux is greyed out and I cannot seem to communicate via usb serial in linux, however in window it appears to work fine. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently in linux.

I'm using teensyduino 1.0.3. Here is the sketch code (taken from http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_serial.html)

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600); // USB is always 12 Mbit/sec
}

void loop()
{
Serial.println("Hello World...");
delay(1000); // do not print too fast!
}

I'm using Ubuntu Linux 12.10 64-bit and have added the 49-teensy.rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d/. The teensy shows up under /dev/ttyACM0

I've used the following commands to attempt to access the serial device:

%> gtkterm --port /dev/ttyACM0
%> screen /dev/ttyACM0 9600

With no output, whereas the serial monitor in windows 7 64-bit is not greyed out and displays the "Hello World" echo without a problem.

I think this might help.
Haven't experienced this myself, but it sounds like a solution to your problem!

I also read here that:
Running arduino as root ( sudo ./arduino) resolved the issue
(snip)
Changing the permissions on /dev/ttyACM0 to world readable and writeable fixed the grayed out serial port.

Last edited:
You might check the thread 'Arduino-1.0.3 + teensyduino problems' for a report on my more recent experiences. Right now, I'm able to connect to /dev/ACM0 using minicom. I haven't tried gkterm or screen.

Code will upload and automatic reboot works even though /dev/ttyACM0 does not show up on the Tools menu. The Serial Monitor will not start and the IDE complains that port /dev/ttyACM0 not found.

FAK

ZTiK's suggestion works for displaying the serial port dropdown in arduino 1.0.3. However, the monitor still shows nothing. I also tried minicom with the same result (minicom -D /dev/ttyACM0 -b 9600). It still works fine in windows 7 (by the way, this is on a dial-boot machine).

Below is what my dmesg looks like when plugging in the teensy. As far as I can tell, there is nothing abnormal here.

Code:
[ 3798.793027] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 3798.810389] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=16c0, idProduct=0483
[ 3798.810396] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3798.810400] usb 3-1: Product: USB Serial
[ 3798.810403] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Teensyduino
[ 3798.810405] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 12345
[ 3798.811048] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 3798.811086] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Edit: This is the arduino code that is running:
Code:
const int ledPin = 13;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600); // USB is always 12 Mbit/sec
}

void loop()
{
  Serial.println("Hello World...");
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
  delay(1000);  // do not print too fast!
}

Last edited:
Does Arduino show some sort of an error or warning from RXTX about stale lock files?

I recall getting a similar message at one point while trying to run the serial monitor. I will attempt to reproduce this tonight and update with the exact message and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back