getting started, teensy 3.0 usb keyboard example on mac os

Status
Not open for further replies.

tagaide

I am sorry to post a likely noon question.
I now am the happy owner of two teensy 3.0's.
I really want to just start with the basic keyboard example given on the website but there is no teensy loader for mac os handling a teensy 3.0
I think, the only download was actually the arduino app.

Am i missing something.

The only thing i want right now is .
to go through the examples on the website and load it onto my new teensy's

is this possible at all or should i have just purchased 2.0?

Thanks

will do so now.
i installed
arduino-1.0.3-teensy3-beta11-macos.zip

sorry for all the newbie questions it looked so easy , just download the loader and run the examples :)

ok just taking a step back here.

i want to install the keyboard example as listed on the main website.
the page lists the source code which is not arduino but C code (correct me if i am wrong)
I will need to compile this code and will follow the instructions to do so.

what do i need to do to get this compiled code on to teensy 3.0

or...

is it easier or better to focus on arduino and how should i proceed in that case. is there a good place to get a working keyboard example?

in case it just does not work as described on the website will it be better if i just buy a teensy 2.0 instead?

thanks.

I'd like to point you towards a link that should help you get started a bit more in the Arduino environment
After you installed the Teensy software, you should have a few new examples under the Examples / Teensy menu.

I would advise to take a look at the USB_Keyboard / Simple example which shows how basic usb keyboard functions work.

You can indeed compile your own hex files from C, but others can support you better with that.

Best of luck!

Sounds like you're trying to use the older AVR-only stuff on Teensy 3.0.

Soon I'm going to rearrange the website, making Teensyduino the main way to do everything. Those old pages will remain online (and their URLs will not change), but they'll be reorganized into a "legacy" section.

The main path is using Arduino with Teensyduino installed. The actual code is all C and C++, which can be used from a makefile if you like (it's in hardware/teensy/cores/teensy3). The old C-only code that was created before Teensyduino is, well, very old. It doesn't support Teensy 3.0.

You must run the Teensyduino installer. If you hate Arduino, as some people do, follow the directions in the makefile to retain the necessary stuff and delete the rest of Arduino.

I'd like to point you towards a link that should help you get started a bit more in the Arduino environment
After you installed the Teensy software, you should have a few new examples under the Examples / Teensy menu.

I would advise to take a look at the USB_Keyboard / Simple example which shows how basic usb keyboard functions work.

You can indeed compile your own hex files from C, but others can support you better with that.

Best of luck!

Hi ZTIK, thanks for the snelle response. those examples where in fact the reasons i bought the board. i am working on a keyboard hack and found most of these projects use teensy. reading Pauls response i think he wants it all to move to teensyduino and the examples given are 'old'
anyway. will try and see if i can get some arduino samples to play with.
thanks

Sounds like you're trying to use the older AVR-only stuff on Teensy 3.0.

Soon I'm going to rearrange the website, making Teensyduino the main way to do everything. Those old pages will remain online (and their URLs will not change), but they'll be reorganized into a "legacy" section.

The main path is using Arduino with Teensyduino installed. The actual code is all C and C++, which can be used from a makefile if you like (it's in hardware/teensy/cores/teensy3). The old C-only code that was created before Teensyduino is, well, very old. It doesn't support Teensy 3.0.

You must run the Teensyduino installer. If you hate Arduino, as some people do, follow the directions in the makefile to retain the necessary stuff and delete the rest of Arduino.

I dont hate anything really and its just going to be a learning curve either way, thanks for the reply , will follow your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back