Teensy 3, win8 No recognition. Several help pages used. ARG! 20+ hours and nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelWolf

cliff notes version -

Received my T3. installed the software and disabled driver sigs. Followed several guides and Windows 8 wont see it.
So all together over the last week after receiving my Teensy 3.0 [t3] in the mail i have been over several help sites trying to get windows to recognize the t3. And nothing happens.

Long winded version-

The first help site was the one where you disable the driver signature checker in windows 8:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/windows8.txt

Then i had to wait 2 days for the arduino site to finish its maintenance to download their software as listed on:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

And i've been here:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

And here:
http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/16349-Teensy-3-0-Beta12-Software?highlight=3.0+install+windows

Ultimately i want to finish my cockpit for Mechwarrior Online. I am not Foust in the thread. But i would like to use the t3 for the interface:
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/26011-mwo-simulator-work-log/ Scroll down to the last post on page one.

I think i screwed up by getting a t3 over a T++

Due to the Micro-B Connection on the board it is the only item in the house to have that VS a mini-B which i have several cables and devices to test.
I bought a new Micro-B cable from Fred-Meyers on sale and have had no luck. My computer is also the only PC in the house to run windows 8.

The T++ seems simpler to get running on Win 8. either that or i'm missing a crucial step. I would love to use the onboard LED blinking program to test to see if i can even upload, but i cant even get that to work.

System OS
win 8 16gb ram
Arduino version
1.0.3 with t3 selected. serial driver installed but not used. All libraries installed.
Teensy Loader
1.07 wont see the teensy3

Different USB ports on my PC were used. front and back.
I have not tested it on any other machine because it is only going to run on my computer hard mounted to the inside of a cockpit.
No USB hardware issues of unknown driver showing.
No USB connection sounds or recognition from following any trouble shooting listed on this page.
No hair left on my head after this project.

If i can just get blink_fast.hex or blink_slow.hex to trip the onboard LED it would show me the board/cable is good.
I just wish there was a windows 8 verion of the t3 software that was 1>download 2> install 3> run >upload> done. Not requiring Teenseyarduino, arduino, and the 1.07 loader and 3 different help pages that google and forum surfing finally found for tips and how too. maybe i'll look into replacing my t3 with a t++ in a couple months after i get more job apps out. Untill then, forum surfing and google checking for others who got theirs working.

Thanks for any help or input anyone can offer.
J.

Last edited:
I think the most important question is: Does the Teensy 3 show up as a serial port (are they still COM1, COM2 ... in Win8?) in Windows?

BTW the Micro-USB connector might look unpractical compared to Mini to you now, but as it is standard for phones (except Apple) now, do expect stuff to move away from Mini towards Micro.

Does not show up as a serial either. I do have a serial USB to DB9 that i use to control my amateur radio that i have removed for testing to eliminate any interference from it. When i remove my USB/DB9 cable i have no serials loaded/showing.
Thanks for the reply.
J.

/quote
Teensy is not natively a serial port, but you can program it to become a serial port. There's more explanation here:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

Please make sure you're using Teensy Loader 1.07. Older versions do not support Teensy 3.0.

Did you get the copy from this page:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html
/quote

Been to all of those pages. I'm not wanting to make the t3 be a serial device. but a USB keyboard.
Already stated Teensy Loader 1.07 That was the second thing i checked 5 days ago.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensy.exe is the 1.06
I am not sure what page it was downloaded from since most links say "OS HERE" rather then a table with columns and rows for "name, version". But i do recall it was from PJRC and it was not easy to find on the official site. I think i followed some one elses link and i verified it in the forum post, while looking for help, that it was the 1.07 version.

Last edited:
And yes i did remove the protective shipping cushion as the note said on it that is was conductive so no magic smoke got released before ever plugging it in.

Running loader 1.07
arduino 1.0.3
Win 8 with driver sig disabled. Anyone else with a similar setup have an easy install?

Even tryed a cold boot. load the 1.07 loader up. Press and hold the t3 button. plug it in. release the button. Nothing.
*sigh*

SteelWolf,
The Teensy 3.0 should have come preloaded with the blink program.
If you have a known good USB cable, Teensy should blink if you just supply it power through a USB type phone charger wall wart.
It that's not happening, and you've never been able to program it, I tend think that you have a bad teensy.
Has the blink program ever worked for you?

Spent another 2 hours testing all the forum tips i could find. Reboots, holding buttons. Removing software. Running all software in admin mode. On a spair PC i even ran a linux USB flash drive version. Still Nothing. Maybe i did get a bum unit. Very disheartening as the T3 was going to be the heart of the cockpit to computer interface. All my designing is at a stand still until i get it working.

It's possible your Teensy 3.0 has been damaged, maybe during shipping. That's rare, but not impossible.

First of all, when you simply plug it in, without doing anything on the computer, without pressing the pushbutton, does the LED blink?

When we test the Teensy 3.0 here, the last test loads the LED blink onto the board using the USB. So if you've never had Teensy Loader recognize the board and load new code, it should still have the LED blink from the testing at PJRC.

The board only needs to get power from the cable to run that program and blink the LED. No drivers, no software on the PC, just power on the USB cable.

You've written "nothing happens" many times, and a lot about installing stuff.... but let's just back up to the beginning, ok? Does the LED blink when you simply plug in the USB cable? That is what's supposed to happen.

If it does blink, pressing the pushbutton is supposed to make it stop blinking. If the button causes the blinking to stop, the board is probably good.... and *then* it's time to start focusing on the software side.

In fact you ought be able to power it off a USB charger, eliminate the PC altogether, at least as far as the blink goes.

Have you tried alternate USB cables? Nine times out of ten this is the issue with these basic usage issues; if it can't even get as far as blink, it's the first thing I check.

- Peter

I own only 1 cable. But i will take it to work and test it there. And by it i mean the cable. As far as eliminating the PC altogether, i would have to make my own patch cord to go from a battery box to a micro-b tie in.

First of all, when you simply plug it in, without doing anything on the computer, without pressing the pushbutton, does the LED blink?

-No.

When we test the Teensy 3.0 here, the last test loads the LED blink onto the board using the USB. So if you've never had Teensy Loader recognize the board and load new code, it should still have the LED blink from the testing at PJRC.

-system does not recognise the t3

The board only needs to get power from the cable to run that program and blink the LED. No drivers, no software on the PC, just power on the USB cable.

You've written "nothing happens" many times, and a lot about installing stuff.... but let's just back up to the beginning, ok? Does the LED blink when you simply plug in the USB cable? That is what's supposed to happen.

-Nope

If it does blink, pressing the pushbutton is supposed to make it stop blinking. If the button causes the blinking to stop, the board is probably good.... and *then* it's time to start focusing on the software side.

-never blinked sorry.

Stop working on the PC side! When the LED has never blinked, there's no point running any software, installing any drivers, or even bothering to look at the Windows device manager.

Every Teensy ships with a LED blink pre-programmed. When the board gets power, and you have not pressed the button, the LED should blink. Only 3 things can cause the LED to not blink: 1-no power, 2-damaged board, 3-successfully reprogrammed with code that does not blink.

If you have a voltmeter, you can check the power by measuring the voltage on the VIN and GND pins. It should be approximately 5 volts. That's the voltage from your USB port. You can also measure the 3.3V and GND pins, to see if the processor is making 3.3 volts properly.

One thing to keep in mind when testing the USB cable, is that it is possible it will work with a data connection to another device even if it is not providing power (which is what the Teensy3 requires).

As Paul said, checking the voltage at the teensy is probably your most reliable indicator. It might be worth picking up an extra micro USB cable or two, they cost almost nothing and are always handy...

As far as external non-PC power goes, the majority of phone chargers these days are microUSB, perhaps you have one of those you could try?

- Peter

Volt meter says...
0.07 volt meter set on 20 DCV. Front side USB.
0.05 back side usb Thats using the one i bought [micro-b]. Using standard usb a-b cable from 8 years ago i get 4.8. So i'll take the cable back to the store later on tonight in a couple of hours and retest that. I also have a battery pack i can dig out of my radio go kit and test external power.

Tested the volt meter on a new 1.5 AA. Measured 1.6

I did not test the cable directly. I tested the pins on the device. Tempted to get a couple of staples and straiten them out and test the cable directly.

PC>cable>T3>pins.

Last edited:
okguys. good news. I was able to trade in the Cable for a new one. The bad cable was flat while this one is round. I made sure to get a different maker and style. As soon as i got it home, the orange light started blinking.

Thanks for all the input.
J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back