Teensyduino installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headroom

In order to test the new alpha (beta ?) version of the Eclipse Arduino Plugin I've installed a fresh Arduino 1.5.2 alongside my other Arduino installations on my Mac. They all reside in the Applications folder Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 6.33.56 AM.png

the Teensyduino installer is supposed to detect compatible Arduino Versions and, while I am not sure the 1.5.2 Arduino is actually supported my 1.0.1 and 1.0.3 versions should be. However the "Next" button remains greyed out. What is the Teensyduino installer actually looking for when trying to determine whether or not there are viable Arduino version installed ?

I've one his many times before without any problems and this is a bit of a head scratcher :/

When you run the installer, the first page tells which versions of Arduino that installer will recognize. Most people never look at the first intro page and instantly click next... but the info is indeed there.

Teensyduino 1.12 recognizes Arduino 1.0.3, but not 1.0.1 or 1.5.2. If it's not recognizing your copy of 1.0.3, please download a fresh copy from www.arduino.cc. It should always recognize a freshly extracted copy.

The installer looks for numerous files and directories to exist. It also looks inside the java object code for CRC checks on specific objects. In the very early days of Teensy, there were numerous problems where something important changed between Arduino versions and the installer could corrupt Arduino or things could fail in very strange and unexpected ways when installed to the wrong version. These checks, especially the CRC checking on specific java objects, was my overly-cautious approach to make sure you always get a known-good, tested-compatible installation. But if that copy has been previously modified, even sometimes by earlier versions (and especially beta versions) of Teensyduino, the installer may not recognize it. The installer only "knows" the CRC checks for the fresh copy and the copy that installer has modified. It doesn't know about all previous installers (but I should probably add that someday), and it certainly doesn't have the CRC values for all the beta tests. That's the long version...

The short version: look at the installer intro page and download a fresh copy of the Arduino version it supports.

Well...Ill be darned. I had looked at the installer page but I had assumed my Arduino 1.0.3 copy was fresh enough. I installed a fresh one and that worked. Now the question is why I did not try that to begin with :/

Anyway, Thanks!

I am not able to update Teensyduino from 1.07. I am trying to install 1.12 and have re-installed arduino 1.02 and 1.03 to make sure along with re-installing teensyduino. I ran the program with administrator as well...any ideas?

Your problem description lacks any detail. What exactly are the symptoms of of it not working ?

Sorry the problem is very simple-- I am using teensy 3.0 and teeensyduino 1.07 does not support that board. So I need to upgrade, but for some reason it just keeps using teensyduino 1.07 even though I am using the 1.13 install file and have reinstalled Arduino 1.03

I am using teensy 3.0 and teeensyduino 1.07 does not support that board.

Teensy Loader 1.07 does support Teensy 3.0. Teensyduino 1.13 installs Teensy Loader 1.07 inside your copy of Arduino.

Perhaps having separate version numbers for the loader and Teensyduino is a bit confusing. Historically, they were developed separately, but maybe I should just sync them to the same number for the sake of simplicity (only one version number to mention)?

As to why it's not detecting your Teensy 3.0, you might try the "Verbose Info" option in the Help menu. You can copy-and-paste that info. There's also a menu option in that log window to save the data to a file.

I also can't get the installer to recognize the folder. Just downloaded 1.0.4 from Arduino. I did add the PID library BEFORE trying to install teensyduino, but I'd sure hope that wouldn't cause a problem.

Teensy Loader 1.07 does support Teensy 3.0. Teensyduino 1.13 installs Teensy Loader 1.07 inside your copy of Arduino.

Perhaps having separate version numbers for the loader and Teensyduino is a bit confusing. Historically, they were developed separately, but maybe I should just sync them to the same number for the sake of simplicity (only one version number to mention)?

As to why it's not detecting your Teensy 3.0, you might try the "Verbose Info" option in the Help menu. You can copy-and-paste that info. There's also a menu option in that log window to save the data to a file.

Actually teensyduino does run blink on my Teensy 3.0 so I think it must be the MIDI library or my hardware. I can get 2.6 to compile fine but it won't play any MIDI notes into my interface. I may try 2 57ohm resistors on the MIDI OUT jack instead of my 47's as well as hack up an old cable and make sure I wasn't sold dud's for MIDI jacks somehow.

Are MIDI jacks especially touchy with solder-heat? I don't think I held it on for too long but it might have been a good 5 sec. or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back