Teensy 3.0 programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy a

Hi!

My first Teensy 3.0 "died"...
Today I received two new Teensy 3.0 boards. If I plug one of them to an USB-Port it is recognized as "serial port" and the board starts working. But when I want to flash a new sketch it stopps working, but it will not be programmed. When I press the button, nothing happens. In the system-properties-panel of my Win7 64bit it is recognized as "Unkown Device". I tried several USB-Ports and different cables...nothing!
When I restart the PC after pressing the teensy-button and try to programm it works for only one time! Trying to re-programm doesn't work.
Re-installing the drivers --> same problems!!

Has someone any idea?

Greets

Andy

I have the same problem. I'm using latest Arduino (1.0.4) and TeensyDuino, and yes the latest loader on my Win 7 32 bit system.

My Teensy2.0 projects work fine - love that board ! - but I cannot get the USB serial stuff to work with the Teensy3. I plug it in, the orange LED flashes, Windows makes the "USB device plugged in" sound, and a message "USB Device Not Recognized". An "Unknown Device" shows up in the Device Manager. Any attempts to reprogram are for naught.

After I press the reset button, another "Not recog" message and the unknown device is cleared in the dev manager.

Is my Teensy3 toast?

Again - My Teensy2 and Arduino projects program fine.

Andy, are you saying you can reprogram a board once, then its hosed? And you've done this to both boards?

Or are you saying one of your 2 boards does not work?

- 0xbadcafe

but I cannot get the USB serial stuff to work with the Teensy3. I plug it in, the orange LED flashes, Windows makes the "USB device plugged in" sound, and a message "USB Device Not Recognized". An "Unknown Device" shows up in the Device Manager. Any attempts to reprogram are for naught.

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried a different Micro-B USB cable?

Teensy 2.0 and 3.0 use exactly the same drivers on the PC side.

I've tried six different cables... but it is always the same.
Both of my new Teensy 3.0 boards are working equal.

I can reprogramm them once following this procedure:
-pressing button on Teensy-Board
-restarting PC
-programming the Teensy-Board

When I try to reprogram them for a second time, it will not work. When I start to program, then the sketch loaded on the board will stop working until I re-plug the board!

When I try to reprogram them for a second time, it will not work. When I start to program, then the sketch loaded on the board will stop working until I re-plug the board!

That is very strange. I can tell you I've tested here on a Windows 7 64 bit machine and it definitely does not do that here. I wish I knew what's different for you, but it's impossible to know from only these messages.

Could you please try a couple things?

1: Set the Tools > USB Type to Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick. Then try reprogramming twice. The first time, it will still have been a serial device from prior programming. If this is something related to the serial driver, you'll probably notice it's better on the 2nd reprogramming.

2: On the troubleshooting page, there's a procedure to hold the reset button while plugging in the USB cable. If you do 3 times this while the Teensy Loader is running NOT in auto mode, just plug the cable in while holding the button, then release the button while watching the Teensy Loader, and then unplug without attempting any programming or rebooting, what do you see? The question is if the Teensy Loader recognizes the board every time, or only on the first or first and second tries?

I must confess, this one is a real mystery to me. I've personally tested many times on Windows 7 64 bit and never seen anything like this. The fact that Teensy 2.0 works flawlessly on the same machine really makes this strange. Windows is so very frustrating because there aren't good log files on Linux and Mac have. But maybe these 2 tests will shed at least a little light onto the situation?

Now it's working... I don't know why!!!
If I plug the Teensy while holding the button -> it's recognized several times !!!
But automatic programming doesn't work...the Teensy will be programmed after pressing the button three times!!!

This is strange...but I think that's -like you wrote Paul- a Windows-Mystery!!!! With my first teensy-board all worked normal...I've nothing changed...just ordered new teensy-boards and wanted to programm them...
On an linux-machine all is working normal...

Thanks for your help Paul!!

EDIT: Now I've build in an pci-express USB-Addon-Card... and all is working fine....

Last edited:
I've been wondering if a USB hub with it's own DC power would alleviate some tricky USB plugging behavior.
I like to get the ones with lots of ports (like 7), and then only use a few since they don't usually provide enough power for all the ports, if in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back