Upload HEX file from Teensy 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baguk

My problem is I have Teensy 2.0 running hex file compiled using C (not Arduino). Is it possible to upload it to PC? How can I do that?

I don't think there is a way back from the compiled sketch inside the Teensy to the PC als an workable changeable file. But there is maybe a small door. Try http://www.jassenbaum.de/ja-tools/index.html to get an Assembler file.
Sorry, I did not mean I wanted the source code. I just need to upload the binary .hex file. And program another Teensy with it... According to your post it is easy, or I misunderstood? If it easy, so how can I do that?

I'm sorry, there's no way to read the .hex file back from an already-programmed Teensy 2.0.

Well, of course, if you really need this kind of functionality, you could plan in advance and built it into your program. It's pretty easy for your program to read itself from memory and transmit the data somehow. But if you didn't build this sort of functionality into your program in advance, then it's impossible to read it back. The Teensy 2.0 Halfkay bootloader simply doesn't have that functionality (it is only 512 bytes afterall).

I'm sorry, there's no way to read the .hex file back from an already-programmed Teensy 2.0.

Well, of course, if you really need this kind of functionality, you could plan in advance and built it into your program. It's pretty easy for your program to read itself from memory and transmit the data somehow. But if you didn't build this sort of functionality into your program in advance, then it's impossible to read it back. The Teensy 2.0 Halfkay bootloader simply doesn't have that functionality (it is only 512 bytes afterall).
Thank you! Then I suppose if I do not build this functionality, it is very hard if not possible to extract my code from Teensy and program other Teensy with it. What I mean is hacker protection - is it good enough?

What I mean is hacker protection

If you mean preventing unauthorized duplication of your code, yes.

- is it good enough?

Yes, probably. It's as good as the hardware-level security Atmel provides in the chip. It's certainly good enough to thwart efforts using any of the normal ISP programming tools.

I've heard rumors there are companies who can reverse engineer products and capture the memory contents using electron microscopes. I'm skeptical about how reliable that process really is, but I honestly do not know. If it is viable, I do not believe there are many chips on the market that are good enough to withstand that level of reverse engineering effort.

2. Questions from my side.

It's pretty easy for your program to read itself from memory and transmit the data somehow.
1. How?

It's certainly good enough to thwart efforts using any of the normal ISP programming tools.
2. Also flash:r options on tools like avrdude are blocked? so there is no way to dump the whole flash?

Thank you! Well, if anybody wants to dump the whole flash, they probably can do that. But for simple protection I guess I am OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back