ArdOSC library replaced with OSC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headroom

When trying to re-compile a code example that uses the ArdOSC library I noticed that ArdOSC does not seem part of Teensyduino anymore.
Are there any reasons that ArdOSC should not work anymore ?

Of course the example code how it works in conjunction with TouchOSC will come with the "next" release which I am sure will be out "soon" (Grrrr).

BTW ArdOSC works fine on a Teensy++2 using WIZ812MJ Ethernet Module (with W5100) and I've got it to work with a WIZ820io as well.
I am trying to get some older examples moved to the Teensy3. It would really be nice not having to re-write stuff ;-)

My code involving ArdOSC compiles fine if I select a Teensy++2 in Tools->Board. When I select a Teensy3 the Arduino IDE complains about the following:

Code:
  This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Teensy 3.0"
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/OSCCommon/OSCClient.h:21:0,
                 from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/ArdOSC.h:55,
                 from Ethernet_ArdOSC.ino:4:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/OSCCommon/OSCEncoder.h:27:33: error: 'OSCMessage::OSCMessage' is not a type
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/ArdOSC.h:55:0,
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/OSCCommon/OSCClient.h:36:5: error: 'OSCEncoder::OSCEncoder' names the constructor, not the type
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/OSCCommon/OSCServer.h:19:0,
                 from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/ArdOSC.h:56,
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/OSCCommon/OSCDecoder.h:26:30: error: 'OSCMessage::OSCMessage' is not a type
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/ArdOSC.h:56:0,
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/OSCCommon/OSCServer.h:31:5: error: 'OSCDecoder::OSCDecoder' names the constructor, not the type
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/ArdOSC/OSCCommon/OSCServer.h:32:5: error: 'Pattern::Pattern' names the constructor, not the type

here is the short Arduino demo sketch that I am trying to compile on a Teensy3:

Code:
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>
#include <ArdOSC.h>

byte mac[] = { 0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED }; //physical mac address

OSCServer server;
OSCClient client;

int serverPort = 8000; //Touch OSC Port (outgoing)
int destPort = 9000;   //Touch OSC Port (incoming)
int ledPin = 13;       //6 on a Teensy++2
int flag=0;

void setup(){
  Serial.begin(115200); 
  Serial.println("DNS and DHCP-based OSC server");
  // start the Ethernet connection:
  if (Ethernet.begin(mac) == 0) {
    Serial.println("Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP");
    // no point in carrying on, so do nothing forevermore:
    while(true);
  }
  // print your local IP address:
  Serial.print("Arduino IP address: ");
  for (byte thisByte = 0; thisByte < 4; thisByte++) {
    // print the value of each byte of the IP address:
    Serial.print(Ethernet.localIP()[thisByte], DEC);
    Serial.print("."); 
  }
  Serial.println();
  Serial.println();

//start the OSCserver
  server.begin(serverPort);

//add OSC callback function. One function is needed for every TouchOSC interface element that will send/receive OSC commands.
  server.addCallback("/Eth_ArdOSC/toggle1", &funcOnOff);
}

void loop(){

if(server.aviableCheck()>0){
     Serial.println("alive! ");
    }  
} 

//When the button on the TouchOSC interface is pressed, a message is sent from the iDevice
//to the Arduino to switch (toggle) the LED on the Arduino on/off
//then a messeage is sent back from the Arduino to the iDevice to toggle the buttom on/off

void funcOnOff(OSCMessage *_mes){
  float value = _mes->getArgFloat(0); //TouchOSC expects float values

//create new osc message
  OSCMessage newMes;

//set destination ip address & port no
  newMes.setAddress(_mes->getIpAddress(),destPort);
  newMes.beginMessage("/Eth_ArdOSC/toggle1");

if(flag==1){
    flag=0;
    Serial.println(value);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
  }
  else{
    flag=1;
    Serial.println(value);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
  }
  newMes.addArgFloat(flag);

//send osc message
  client.send(&newMes);

}

Last edited:
Since OSC is now available from the people who created the Open Sound Control protocol, and ArdOSC only partially supported OSC and appears to be no longer maintained, it was removed.

Here is a copy of the ArdOSC library. Just copy this to your sketchbook libraries folder to keep using it with your existing project.

Attachments

• ArdOSC.zip
    25.4 KB · Views: 303
PAul,

Thanks for the reply. Having used the Teensy++2 for a while now I already had a copy of ArdOSC ;-) However, the problem at hand is that my code example above (Arduino 1.0.5 and teensyduino 1.15) compiles fine for a Teesny++2 but produces the C++ (?) error message on a Teensy3. I have not been able to track down why. Any Ideas ?

It's great to have a current and maintained OSC library from the initial place where the protocol was conceived and eventually I'll rewrite my code to replace ArdOSC with OSC, however, in the meantime I'd like to be able to continue with ArdOSC until I have some time to delve into the OSC library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back