Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 3.1 - Possible to compile via gcc in text mode Linux (i.e. no desktop)?

Teensy 3.1 - Possible to compile via gcc in text mode Linux (i.e. no desktop)?

Hi there!

I'm already using a Teensy++ 2.0 to map a keyboard matrix, which is working fine. For that, I set up a mini Debian VM under VMWare, which makes it super easy to back up a working development environment etc, not to mention having it work on other machines if needed (just by copying the VM). The VM doesn't have any desktop stuff installed, it's a really minimal install with just a text console.

I've just bought a Teensy 3.1 and was hoping to just include that in my existing dev environment, but looks like I can't?

Could anyone help?

Thanks very much!

There are definitely makefiles around for the Teensy 3.1, look out for those and work from there. The build process is not overly complicated.

Thanks for your reply I believe you still need to have Teensyduino installed for even a Makefile to work - but I can't install that in a non-desktop environment. Plus it requires the Arduino stuff installed already. I could, of course, be completely wrong on these points!

You need two things: Compiler and binutils, and the Teensy 3.1 core. Can you install teensyduino on a different machine and move the compiler and binutils over to the one that you'll be actually using? You can also build your own compiler if you want - it should work.

You can always get the latest core from github: https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores

Brilliant - that cores link was something I was missing.

I have installed Arduino & Teensyduino on a new Linux VM I just set up with desktop, and I can see which tools are being called etc, so should be simple to just copy over the relevant things now.

Thanks a lot

You can also install Teensyduino, then just use the text-only stuff. There's comments in the sample makefile regarding which parts you need to keep.

Thanks very much Paul, I read through those already and I have it working now.

The part I was stuck on was installing Teensyduino without a desktop etc, but I followed christoph's suggestion and copied it from a desktop machine.