Serial2 show up on Serial Monitor for Teensy 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpailevanian

Hi,

I am new to the teensy 3.0 and I had a question about the three UART ports on the teensy 3.0. I know that if I were to write Serial.begin('baud rate') I would be able to see the serial data on my serial monitor. However, I don't know how to do this when utilizing multiple serial pots on the teensy. Currently I have a GPS communicating on the RX lines of Serial1, and a openlog which records all sensor data through Serial2. Is there any way I can view this data that is being recorded while the program is running, like the serial monitor, instead of taking out my microSD and checking the data after I run the program for a couple seconds? It would be sooooo much easier to debug my code and make sure I am on the right track.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Anthony

If you are writing ascii strings to the Serial2 log, can't you just write them to Serial as well until the code is debugged?

Pete

You can use another Teensy running the example from File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Serial > USBtoSerial. Just connect the RX pin on that other Teensy to the serial line you want to monitor, and then run a terminal emulator (Hyperterminal, Teraterm, Seyon, Minicom, etc) or even Arduino's Serial Monitor (you can run 2 separate copies of Arduino if you like) to view the data from the 2nd Teensy.

You can also use one of these cables, which is a USB-serial converter. But they're more expensive than another Teensy, and not nearly as useful for reusing when you want to do something else.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/TTL-232R-3V3/768-1015-ND/1836393?WT.mc_id=PLA_1836393

Anthony,

I am trying to setup Openlog for recording radiation data for Safecast (http://blog.safecast.org). We have a FIO running fine, but we would like to move to a Teensy system. Do you have a sample file I can use for setting up OpenLog with a teensy?

regards
rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back