UnoWS2811? DuoWS2811?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianloic

Hi friends (mostly hi Paul),

I'm using OctoWS2811 to drive a single (though perhaps I'll want two) strip of WS2811s controlling LEDs.

Is there a way to modify the library to only try to control 1 or 2 strips instead of all 8? I read through the source and it didn't seem obvious. The pins weren't referred to anywhere except setting them to output mode? I'd ideally like to save ram & pins & time spent copying / DMAing.

Ian

Is there a way to modify the library to only try to control 1 or 2 strips instead of all 8?

The FastSPI_LED and NeoPixel libraries do this. But they use CPU-hogging bit-bashing, not efficient DMA, so they're useful for short to modest length strips.

And no, there isn't any realistic way to modify OctoWS2811 for only a single strip. The DMA's minimum transfer size is 8 bits. If you want fewer than 8 outputs, you have to waste those unused bits of RAM to use DMA.

Ian, did you make changes to the library?

I need three strips at most (about 300 to 400 LEDs total) and would be very much interested to free up some pins for other peripherals.

Ian, did you make changes to the library?

I need three strips at most (about 300 to 400 LEDs total) and would be very much interested to free up some pins for other peripherals.

Nah, I didn't need to use any other pins so I just left some unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back