74HC165N and Rotary Encoders

Status
Not open for further replies.

eviolett

My project will have more inputs than my board has pins.

Project Notes
Board: Teensy 3.0
Rotary Encoders turned by hand (no motors)

Questions:
1. Will encoders work if going through a 165?
2. If so, does the encoder library and debounce for the Teensy 3.0 still work? If not, what options would I have? I'm trying to avoid extra code and hardware to handle encoder and debounce.
3. Can I daisy chain 2 165s so that one will drive buttons and one will drive encoders or would I need to run each separately connected directly to the board?
4. Not related directly to this post, but what is the difference between a 165 and a 165N (as far as I would care about, or are they essentially the same for what I'm doing)?

Last edited:
Questions:
1. Will encoders work if going through a 165?

No. The Encoder library does not support shift registers for I/O.

2. If so, does the encoder library and debounce for the Teensy 3.0 still work? If not, what options would I have? I'm trying to avoid extra code and hardware to handle encoder and debounce.

Neither does the bounce library.

You'll need to write your own code if you want to connect stuff using a shift register. Bounce is probably much easier to do than Encoder!

4. Not related directly to this post, but what is the difference between a 165 and a 165N (as far as I would care about, or are they essentially the same for what I'm doing)?

This question would be easier to answer if you had posted a link to the part's datasheet. Those chips are made by several companies and each uses different letters on the end to mean different things. The letters are probably documented in the "ordering info" section of the datasheet.

Cool. While not great news, not the end of the world. Just saved me several hours (if not days) of testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back