Chess Computer design advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mixographer

I'm planning a build of a chess machine similar to this type of machine: http://www.boris-is-king.com/homepage.htm#110179313.

The chess engine will run on a computer, like a Raspberry Pi or a BeagleBone Black. The chess engine will be a subprocess of a python program that will handle communication with the interface. The human interface will be 8 digits of Alphanumeric LED (like DL2416 or DL1414) and a matrix keypad.

I have built some i2c interfaces for the LED displays, using MCP23017 i/o expanders, and I imagine I could also read the keypad matrix using an i/o expander or an i2c keypad matrix decoder, or just connect it di +rectly to a teensy or a teensy+ and use the Keypad.h to read the key presses. (I could even use a 74c922 keypad decoder I have and not worry about debounce and such.)

I'd like to know the best way to have two way communication between the Teensy and the Raspberry Pi. Key presses on the matrix send the moves to the engine and the engine sends moves back out to the LEDs. So do I hook the Teensy up to the Raspberry Pi USB port, and use USB Serial to send the messages back and forth to the python program? Or use the teensy like a USB keyboard and then use my i2c display right off the Raspberry Pi GPIOs?

Any ideas or comments much appreciated.

Jimmy

inquiry to sir paul re:teensy 3.2 use in sish chess

good day sir paul father of PJRC
can you help me determined if the Teensy 3.2
i purchase in circuitrocks philippines can be use in
a SISH project which use teensy 2 or teensy 2++
which is not available in the Philippines.

thanks in advance for answering my question
kindly send the corresponding pin assignment
use in SISH chess using teensy 2 compare to teensy 3.2

and does the hex file can run on the teensy 3.2?

if not ill just wait for the shipment of teensy 2 through circuitrocks
thanks in advance sir Paul

Last edited:
Hi, a Hex file won't work since they are different cores. If you have the C code it was built from then you might be able to adapt it , but the pin allocations are different. You will also have complications since the Teensy 3s are 3.3V logic while the older and less capable teensy2s are normally 5V.

You also don't provide any links to the SISH project which would allow somebody to provide help.

If the above doesn't make sense then you may need to wait on a hardware to directly clone the original project. A Teensy 3.x will do a better job but you will need to do a lot of ground work yourself in google and at least posti code that others can run and recreate your problems, preferably in a small and concise way (see forum rule).

Since the author has only released the hex files you can only use the Teensys listed and only wired as described. And if they don't work that doesn't help much. If you can get hold of the source code there are other options but it looks like the project is dead.

There may be other projects around the internet using more accessible code since all this is doing is reading a matrix of 64 buttons and printing text like a keyboard so nothing particularly magical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back