Intel Galileo

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, the Galileo can be used at its full power by designing mPCI-express devices to interface it with. As Paul said, they could've got the Galileo to be really competitive if they designed a mPCI express device with an FPGA that emulates the AVR. In addition, I think that the use-case that Intel expects from the Galileo's users is to do such things, that is creating devices that communicate with the Galileo via the mPCI-express bus, to handle loads of data. The GPIO should be left to implement very simple user interfaces, made of buttons, leds and other stuff. Finally, the USB host port could be used to communicate with any other board to do stuff. Like, you could have a Teensy 3.0 with led strips which updates the led strips by reading a stream of values via USB with, say, an isochronous endpoint for real-time applications.

I would actually love to use a Galileo with a Teensy-powered mPCI-express device. Actually, I really want to get my hands on one. I'm also thinking about learning FPGA stuff, even though the cheapest FPGA kit w/ PCI-express 1.0 compatibility costs more than a Galileo, here's the link: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1553

Does the Mojo board really have PCIe?

Adafruit's summary says it has the XC6SLX9 chip. Xilinx's Spartan6 summary PDF says the smallest device to support PCIe is XC6SLX25T. Looks like only the parts ending in "T" have the gigabit transceivers and PCIe block.

Yep, at first glance it seemed that the XC6SLX9 has PCIexpress support, but it is not true. A rapid googleing tells that FPGA kits with Xilinx Spartan6 LXT or with Altera Cyclone IV GX (both have dedicated PCIexpress) cost more than 400 bucks. Way more expensive than I thought. Still, FPGA w/ PCI seems the best option to use the Galileo at its full power.

By the way, I also found this nice board, IGLOO2, which is selling for 99 bucks for the first 1000 orders. Looks like a big promotion.

http://www.microsemi.com/products/f...ev-kits/igloo2/igloo2-evaluation-kit#ordering

I might get one of these IGLOO2 even if I don't actually get an Galileo, it looks like a nice evaluation kit to work with :)

Does the free software for that chip expire after 1 year?

Especially with FPGA, technology updates rapidly and the software tends to change with them. I've been burned before on FPGA projects where the software dropped support for older chips I had used and needed to support. I personally never again want to use any CAD software that expires or doesn't run inside a virtual machine without internet connectivity. Virtual machines are really the only realistic way to securely run old software.

Last edited:
That tape has been around for years: very little current carrying capacity (mainly used for lcd displays) and not very sticky - you have to create a rig that
maintains pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back