Completed project: MIDI to DMX Interface

nlecaude

Just finished this project, quite happy with the result. It's a MIDI to DMX Interface based on Teensy 3

You can use MIDI Notes, Control Change and Poly Pressure message to control DMX channels.
If you need the full resolution (0-255) of DMX you can also send specially formatted sysex messages.

Nice thing is that you can plug it into pretty much anything: computers, iPad, Android tablet etc.

More info here:

https://github.com/natcl/dmx_midi

10159755314_773a3286d3_n.jpg

Last edited:
Code not working

I haven't been able to get the code to load onto the teensy without error. Any tips

QUOTE=nlecaude;36189]Just finished this project, quite happy with the result. It's a MIDI to DMX Interface based on Teensy 3

You can use MIDI Notes, Control Change and Poly Pressure message to control DMX channels.
If you need the full resolution (0-255) of DMX you can also send specially formatted sysex messages.

Nice thing is that you can plug it into pretty much anything: computers, iPad, Android tablet etc.

More info here:

https://github.com/natcl/dmx_midi

10159755314_773a3286d3_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

usbMIDI.getType() == 7

First issue... the type values were changed to match MIDI library but it mostly impacts sysex read.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_midi.html
Receiving Messages with Read & Query Functions section

...but that would still compile and so while a problem, it is not the source of the compile error.

Is your Teensy an LC?

Are you choosing USB MIDI as the USB Type when you compile?

If you don't know what that means that's the likely cause of the compile error.

...edit: Timer library is not part of Teensyduino standard distribution.

Last edited:
Looks like the Timer is just used to flash the LED...

comment out the three places t occurs and it will compile for LC MIDI.

The sysex part won't work until you change the right-hand-side of the conditional from '7' to 'usbMIDI.SystemExclusive'

If you want the flashing LED I can help you with replacement code.

What errors are you getting?
Sorry.. didn't notice you're the OP.

Maybe you'd like to update.

P.s . What's with the first byte of sysex?

What are you expecting to send this?

Sorry if the answers are in your github but I was just trying to understand new post

The first byte of sysex is the manufacturer ID, I choose 127 here. The sysex in my case is sent by Max/MSP or Lemur template.

I just updated the code to include the Timer library. Compiles fine here for Teensy LC with USB midi.

you still need to fix this: usbMIDI.getType() == 7

Sb: usbMIDI.getType() == usbMIDI.SystemExclusive

hello to all, compile the code for the LC and the LED flashes when it receives MIDI data but I have no answer in the lighting with which I do the tests. someone has a video of the operation or configuration of the project so that it works, the circuit of the DMX with the SN75176 is well probe it with another application.
Thanks for the help you give me.

By the way, the project was built to be used with ableton live and to control lighting

Back