Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: "Virtual" Ethernet?

"Virtual" Ethernet?

This is just a thought I've been mulling over, and no idea if it's even remotely technically feasible. Is it possible to set up a Teensy ++ 2.0 or a Teensy 3 as a 'virtual' ethernet device over USB? I notice that, on my mac, the USB Serial HID type will show up as a network interface, and I've been curious if it'd be possible to trick the computer into thinking there's actually an IP server/device on that connection.

Basically I want to make an ethernet device without actually using a physical ethernet connection. I wouldn't need or expect to be able to plug into a network hub/router or anything like that, but I have some ideas that would benefit from appearing as a network device to the host computer.

Yes, it's possible, but this involves a LOT of difficult code. It would provide packet-level delivery, so then you'd need to build protocols on top of it. ARP, UDP, DHCP, DNS, ICMP are fairly simple. TCP is much more complicated....

That's (most likely) fine. Like I said, this is a ways off, but I may need to reverse engineer an ethernet-based protocol and shoehorn support for it into a pre-existing product (which has no ethernet jack, just USB). Worst case, I make a little inline adapter box that takes USB and spits out ethernet, or possibly just a piece of software you run on your computer. But good to know that the possibility is there! Whether I could make it fit into an already somewhat hefty Teensy ++ 2.0 sketch (36kb sketch size, ~3k of RAM in use, so there's certainly room) is another step for much much later.

Thanks!