New Teensies do not show same info / work with drivers the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookedup

[SOLVED} New Teensies do not show same info / work with drivers the same

I just purchased a new (mini) batch of controllers. I tried the first 2 and neither one show any port. I pulled 2 unopened from an old batch and they both worked fine through loading a program and running as expected. I loaded the latest drivers on a new windows 7 machine and the old and new versions act different from each as well. Only the old ones show the port when I load just the drivers where the other shows as HID only device and does not show any ports.

So the new ones just show a Human Interface Devices with no manufacturer while the old ones show PJRC.COM, LLC. as manufacturer.

I am going to try to pull the latest versions of everything and try again. Not sure if there are known changes between hardware versions or actions I should take.

Thanks

Last edited:
The hardware has not changed, but we did recently make a couple software changes.

The bootloader was updated from version 1.01 to 1.02. Teensy Loader 1.16 will automatically upgrade any old boards to 1.02.

The main improvement in 1.02 is lower power consumption, reducing the Mini54 from 6 mA to about 0.15 mA when not uploading. It also fixes a bug when using Macintosh and preserves the eeprom data while uploading. Version 1.02 also makes the boards permanent serial number available. On Windows, this means the new hardware wizard will probably detect each board uniquely. If the new hardware wizard is slow on your machine, it may interfere with uploading the first time (why Microsoft does this is beyond me... Mac and Linux detect new devices very quickly).

The other change was in the default LED blink that ships pre-programmed. Previously, it was built with Arduino using Tools > USB Type set to the default "Serial". The default LED blink was rebuilt with Tools > USB Type set to Raw HID. It's still the same LED blink example, just compiled with a different USB type.

This change was motivated by the tremendous trouble and confusion many first time users experience on Windows if they plug a Teensy3 into their computer before installing Teensyduino. The new hardware wizard complains that it can't find a driver (the driver is actually part of Windows, but unlike Mac and Linux, it doesn't load unless the installer provides an INF file that basically just tells Windows to use its own driver for this device). Since Windows has so many driver issues, experienced Windows users often go down an unproductive path trying to resolve the missing driver, often believing their Teensy isn't working or isn't compatible. With the pre-programmed default LED blink set to Raw HID, the new hardware wizard is happy and first-time users don't get an alarming message that distracts them from using it with Arduino+Teensyduino.

If you want the old code, all you need to do is load the led blink example in Arduino, from File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink. Make sure Tools > USB Type is set to Serial, and then clock Upload.

Wonderful - Solved - Thank You.

I loaded the code with no serial port showing and it loaded (via the Teensy Loader as usual). Doing this had the same as loading the blink, the other driver loaded and it shows as a serial port (so my application and read it as a serial port number).

By the way .. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for such a great products and support.

Best Regards,

Joseph - hookedup, inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back