MIDI issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

audioguytodd

Hi Paul, this is Todd. I e-mailed you many moons ago about MIDI isues with the Teensy 2++. With MIDI OX nad MIDI Yoke. Haven't really used my Teensy in a while, just wondering if all the MIDI issues are fixed?? Can I use those tools to test the Teensy???

Also, is the Teensy 3 better in any way for MIDI other than more i/o???

Thanks,
Todd

I'm sorry Todd, I don't save old emails, so I do not have your original question. I have no idea what particular MIDI issue you're talking about.

I can confirm MANY people have used Teensy's USB MIDI and Franco's MIDI library (for serial MIDI) in many successful projects.

However, one MIDI problem that has come up recently and is "fixed" in 1.17-rc1, involves MIDI software unexpectedly transmitting data to controllers. If the PC or Mac transmits USB MIDI messages to Teensy, but code on Teensy does not read them, they eventually fill up the available buffers on both Teensy and your computer. Unlike traditional serial-based MIDI where messages are just blindly transmitted, with USB MIDI there is very reliable buffering and error recovery. If the receiver doesn't read the message at exactly the right time, unlike serial MIDI where it's lost, with USB MIDI is remain in a buffer. If too many messages are sent and not read on the other side, all the buffers fill up. The default settings in MIDI-OX have been known to cause this problem when used with code on Teensy not reading the incoming messages.

The "fix" is an update to the example in File > Examples > Teensy > USB MIDI > Buttons.

Also, I should mention this issue has been well documented on the web page for a long time (under "Transmitting Issues"), specifically mentioning the problem with MIDI-OX.

If your MIDI controller uses rotary encoders, Teensy3 has a big advantage, because every pin has interrupt capability.

Rarely are CPU speed and memory an issue with MIDI controllers, so either version usually works fine if you're not using lots of encoders.

A CD quality (16 bit, 44.1 kHz) audio library and shield are coming soon for Teensy3. Again, not an issue if you're only building a controller that sends MIDI messages. But if you'd like to do other things involving actual audio and not merely MIDI messages, Teensy3 is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back